RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

Even with all the injuries we've had, seems to me Maurice has had way too many line combos up front.  Even in recent wins we've had stretches of bad play from the FWs, creating little scoring chances and what not.  When that happens Mau changes the lines again...

I wonder if it starts to wear thin on certain players.  I don't follow other teams close enough to know how common this is, but I'd be fascinated to see how many different FW line combos we've had thru 32 games.

We talk about PoMo's dedication to his vets but what about his dedication to his assistants? There's been virtually no turnover there since he' been here. 

I really don't know what an assistant can or can't do to help get the team prepared. I'm pretty ignorant as to their impact. It is his system. 

--------

Of course, they've barely had any practice time this year. You have to think that's helping to kill them. 

6 hours ago, JCon said:

We talk about PoMo's dedication to his vets but what about his dedication to his assistants? There's been virtually no turnover there since he' been here. 

I really don't know what an assistant can or can't do to help get the team prepared. I'm pretty ignorant as to their impact. It is his system. 

--------

Of course, they've barely had any practice time this year. You have to think that's helping to kill them. 

There is many things assistant coaches can do to get players prepared.

They can go over individual player assignments, they can remind players of opposition players tendencies, weaknesses. They can remind the players where the soft spots are with other teams systems, they can help players with the mental part of the game (if that coach has that ability), they can sometimes be a broker between player and head coach if there's any tension that is affecting their game etc etc. A great coaching staff has a variety of different skill sets that can make a good team great. My experience is if you have a Head Coach that needs all the control, it's doomed for failure sooner than later.

It's hard to say if our assistants play a significant role or are just basically yes men for Maurice. I dunno.  When he was hired permanently he had the choice to let huddy Flaherty and Vincent go... he decided to keep them tho. Vincent is now head coach of the Moose where he looks to be pretty competent... moose Powerplay and PK much more exciting than the Jets also so does make you wonder a bit. 

Our PP and PK look pretty similar to the pp and pk from last year.  Vincent is with the Moose tho. Makes you think that maybe our assistants are a bunch of yes men. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I've been saying since Year 2 that it was time to bring in a better goalie coach.  But True North is nothing if not loyal to the Moose royalty.

Well. Maurice had the option to keep them or let them go. He kept Flaherty. It was Mo's choice 

• 2 weeks later...

There was an article awhile ago on Maurice saying basically that he's not going anywhere...The guy who penned that might want to re-evaluate that opinion, as I think his job is very much on the line IF this club doesn't turn things around pronto...Certainly we have a lot of 'rooks' and it takes time to develop BUT we also have a lot of vets. who are not playing up to potential...If the vets. appear to have tuned out then that falls to the coach and could be Maurice's undoing,,,I think that Paul's position is very much under review and totally contrary to the article of awhile ago...We shall see.

This is all conjecture. Goalie or you or TUP or me or anyone doesn't have a clue what Chevy is thinking or what was discussed pre-season...They might have come to the conclusion that with the addition of even more young players and going with a rookie goalie that 80-85 points is all they might get, but they are going to stick with that goalie and the youngsters because it is better in the long run.  We don't know. Our comments are just that, our comments and opinions and what the hell do we know?

I do think we aren't making the playoffs and the players that have no future with the team should be taken off of the ice. I just checked, 13.5% chance of making the playoffs....better odds than I thought they would be.

Burmi is gone and Hutch, Staf and Thorbs should be next. Lost to the waiver wire? See ya! I don't care about any argument about Thorbs and showing the youngsters anything. Show the youngsters you will put the best players on the dam ice and move him already. Get some more youngsters up here and a revolving pressbox to create more competition and see what they can do. It'll give them a better idea of where their youngsters are.

Unless we go on an eight game winning streak...I'd be happy with 2 points in FL to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

When the entire team lays an egg against the worst road team in the league. .. it's coaching. You can blame goalies or 4th liners but the whole team was AWFUL. 

Have to agree...  Maurice seems to play a 'free-wheeling' style, letting his D join the rush a lot...  works for a bit but if the Jets don't get absolutely bailed out by their goalies, the team falls apart now.  Can't blame schedule or injuries anymore.

Need a disciplined coach like Boudreau, etc...  I'd actually take Carlyle right now.

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Have to agree...  Maurice seems to play a 'free-wheeling' style, letting his D join the rush a lot...  works for a bit but if the Jets don't get absolutely bailed out by their goalies, the team falls apart now.  Can't blame schedule or injuries anymore.

Need a disciplined coach like Boudreau, etc...  I'd actually take Carlyle right now.

Tell me honestly, do you think we played a disciplined game against Chicago?

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Tell me honestly, do you think we played a disciplined game against Chicago?

Which time?  First game, absolutely - second and third games, the played great in the first and held on

The Jets always rise to the occasion against Chicago and Blues... but still a lot of shots from perimeter