RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Say what you want about Maurice, chances are he gets a 3 year extension this summer.

What makes you say that?

I subscribe to the theory that the Jets like their own, and are less likely than many to shake things up....

But no way does he get term like that if this team misses the playoffs again, that I'd put money on.

(And by money, I mean nothing. I'm still waiting for the "I'd be shocked if Laine scored 20" poster to do an about face)

How much money? While I don't want your money I would make a friendly wager...

Do you think Maurice signs a 2 year deal? 1 year? None?

I have already said I would be surprised if the make the playoffs so let's say they don't...what do you think happens? Chevy will probably get a 5 year extension this off-season and will likely turn around and extend Maurice. I honestly don't think it was Chevy that wanted Connor on the Moose, I think it was the coach.

You are going to fire him because of a decimated lineup? He needs a chance to be evaluated with a healthy roster.

I always thought Maurice would be the right guy for the job, and now I'm starting to re-think that.

Over his tenure there's been little (if any) improvement on the amount of penalties we take. When he first came on the scene the penalties were a side effect of playing a hard, physical, grinding game. And hey, it worked - he got us into playoffs. Since then the identity of the team has changed to speed and skill, so why are we continuing to take so many penalties? Particularly lazy stick penalties and offensive zone penalties?

Our special teams are atrocious most of the time. Laine on PP2? Lowry on PP1?  Other teams are way more agressive on their PK's as well. We seem to sit down in the box in our end and just let them cycle and shoot, and that, to me, is a problem. On our PP Buff and Wheeler are adding nothing. Wheeler's speed is a huge asset but on the PP it doesn't really add anything. Buff just constantly takes bombs and barely gets them through or hits the net- what happened to these guys?

Perreault and Stafford have regressed to barely third liners. There's absolutely no way MP gets protected, which I agree with. I would way rather lose him than Dano/Armi/even Lowry. Our d-men have to be some of the worst at getting shots through to the net, I'm looking at you: Buff, Trouba, Myers and Postma. Chiarot is not an NHL level player, but I suppose that's more on Chevy than it is Maurice. 

I'm very happy with Chevy and think he gets an extension at the end of the year. He's provided this team with some solid depth and under the coach it is not performing to the sum of it's parts. Hutch is garbage, Helle has been bad but I don't think anyone expected this to be his breakout year. Helle gets this year and next at least to start showing that he can take the job. It also doesn't help being hung out to try at least once a game, though. 

Edited by Judd

40 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I think Kompon is in charge of the PP.

I remember Vincent taking the heat for it last season.

Nope. Maurice is in charge.  It's tge same PP he's been running since he's been here. Kompon is supposed to be the guy but it's MO. It's all MO.  

I think Maurice gets too cute and over thinks things when it's going poorly. Goes with hunches and trying to be too smart. But I think he's a good coach. Most of the issues have been the veterans not playing well. Change will continue to come. 

Before the season I did say my concern was we lost too much grit without replacing it. Speed and skill is fine but if you're not lighting it up and controlling the game all the time you're going to get caught. Thorbs is out there fighting every game. That's why he's been playing I think. Not so much the fights but the fact he's pushing back. Or trying to. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Because you're part of the coaching staff... and have inside info?

Look at the PP in pre season and ya it was pre season but it was different.  MO comes back from the WCup and it's the same old. Seriously Lowry was/is on PP1. That's a MO thing 

Feels a bit like Chevy has (somewhat) changed this to a speed team while Maurice is still trying to coach a group of over-achieving grinders...  doesn't know what to do with guys like Petan, Ehlers, Laine, Connor...  plus he seems to have killed whatever chemistry Scheif had with Ehlers and Laine...

Or maybe Trouba really is locker room poison...   his return is when things really started spiralling downward

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Feels a bit like Chevy has (somewhat) changed this to a speed team while Maurice is still trying to coach a group of over-achieving grinders...  doesn't know what to do with guys like Petan, Ehlers, Laine, Connor...  plus he seems to have killed whatever chemistry Scheif had with Ehlers and Laine...

Or maybe Trouba really is locker room poison...   his return is when things really started spiralling downward

They won 4 of 5 with Trouba.  Can say the same about stafford little Perreault.  

18 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Does someone really think this team is better with Trouba not playing?

Really? I think overall he has played very well.

I like that Morrissey is starting to see some special teams play as he deserves it.

No one who matters, at least. That's lunacy suggesting he doesn't make us better.