RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

45 minutes ago, Goalie said:

He has a nmc but besides that... our entire d zone play is awful. It's not just buff 

I agree.  And I like Buff.  He's something no other team has.  And if our coaches could utilize him in his role as rover (he aint a D), we'd be onto something.  But if we're not going to do that, and if we are going to go younger and "rebuild", then dont pay Buff $7+m to try half the time on a losing team for the next few years.

The Jets biggest mistake was their gamble on the Atlanta Core when they inherited this team.  Im sure they gave great thought to a complete blow up and re-build.  But Ladd resigned as Captain and they thought there was enough veteran talent to make the playoffs while they drafted and developed the future.  They were wrong. 

Even though the Habs are 8th overall in first in their division, they are likely to fire their head coach.  They've lost 5 of 6.  Maurice could have been fired multiple times this season if we held him to the standards Montreal does.

Its remarkable this is even a discussion.  How has he not been canned already?

Jets have their buy week coming after the Toronto game on the 21st, followed by a six game home stand.  Perfect time to make a move... 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 minute ago, do or die said:

Maurice had an opportunity earlier, to get the player's attention, send a message, have some impact, et al.   A number of vets have under produced, to say nothing of Buff, who has had more than a handful of terrible games (the kind you for could bench somebody)  

Benching 19-20 yr olds.....while the vets simply yawn and stretch, was not the correct answer.

Edited by do or die

24 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Maybe we the fans are over reacting?   Didn't we all want O'Shea gone and were ready to boot him out?   Maybe Maurice needs just one more season to straighten things out?

These last two seasons are the worst since the Jets moved to Winnipeg... yet with 'better' lineups than Noel ever had - this team is regressing.

Maurice should be thankful that he's in a hockey market where the arena is sold out, the media lob softball questions and the franchise is making $$ - ANY other market and he would have been fired by now.

41 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

@Goalie

the article you posted here, I tweeted out and it got re-tweeted all over. That resulted in a new story being written, referring to the "story making the rounds", by arctic ice hockey. 

If the #MoMustGo movement takes off, you can take credit for planting the seed ;)

Lol. To be fair I kind of saw it posted elsewhere first. I don't have the time to find these articles. I like hockey lol but its not like life or death but still... good 

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Defintely an anti-Mo feeling on TSN yesterday but people like Lawless willing to give him a pass too,

Lawless was slightly softer on his stance on the part of H&L I heard.  He said something like "if they lose the remainder of the games? Sure, then something changes" or something like that.  But he basically said Chipmand & Chevy feel Maurice is their guy and that he hasnt been given enough talent on the ice to fully judge. 

Lawless then went off on how Noel was scapegoated and that he shouldnt have been fired either.  I get the impression Lawless is a very patient guy.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Most of us have.

Yep.

Sure were a bunch of people yesterday on 1290 talking about how the Jets hit everything in PaMa's first year.

What ever happened to that style? Injuries that occured as a result of that put an end to it?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yep.

Sure were a bunch of people yesterday on 1290 talking about how the Jets hit everything in PaMa's first year.

What ever happened to that style? Injuries that occured as a result of that put an end to it?

I remember posting here before the season that my gear was the Jets lost their grit.  They competed harder with way less talent.

I assumed they would take a step back...  but I did not expect the complete lack of effort.  

It also makes it much more difficult to swallow when the young guys who were suppose to make the mistakes and cost us games   (Laine,  Ehlers, Morrissey, Copp, etc..)  when these guys are the ones holding the team up.  

6 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Defintely an anti-Mo feeling on TSN yesterday but people like Lawless willing to give him a pass too,

Agree.... aside from post game press conferences, I've heard a lot of criticism of the coach on 1290 for weeks now.  (from some of the on air hosts) They are not afraid to say what they think as far as I can tell.

Edited by Mark F

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎14 at 11:15 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Lawless, rightly, points out that PoMo has a lot of youth in the team and he's willing to play them. PoMo could play the vets more but doesn't and that's a plus for Chevy.

He also points out that the youth need to play better and be more responsible. True.

He also says that goaltending has been a problem and it has.

My beef with Lawless' position is this:

Nothing happens in a vacuum. You can have young team that makes mistakes and you can have underachieving goaltending and STILL be a successful team. Not a truly successful one - not until those issues are resolved - but better than what we've seen this year.

Why hasn't this team improved during the year? Why haven't they improved their structure? Early, they blamed a lack of practice and the schedule. Okay. Then injuries. Okay. Now? I'm not sure what they can blame.

Coaching isn't the only problem with this team but this is reoccurring problem, IMO.

The media, including Lawless, have given PoMo a pass on the vets of this team. They've asked about the decisions to cut ice-time for the Dynamic Duo. But where are the tough questions on Buff's performance? Stafford? Perrault? Etc.

On whether True North will extend PoMo in the summer, I believe Lawless is accurately reporting what TN will do. It's his informed opinion on what TN WILL do, not necessarily what they SHOULD do.

The problem with the "he's willing to play the youth" argument is, instead of what?  Are we to believe that Maurice would send Ehlers & Laine to the Moose and play Cormier and Thorburn?  Every single young player fills a need better than the veteran option behind him.  Was he going to play Stu over Morrissey because he's a veteran?

I mean,. **** if we're giving Maurice credit for playing the best players, then our standard for good coaching decisions is pretty low.

And no one is shocked the Jets arent a contender.  The anger and frustration comes from lack of effort and lack of prep plus the same issues on the team being the same that have always existed.

The team is good at controlling the message.  Youth.  Schedule.  Injuries.  Because none of the other NHL teams have had that.  Well, youth is better so youth isnt a negative.  Schedule...meh other teams have bad scheduled and the Jets play just as bad during the good parts.  Injuries.  Sure, but other teams have injuries.

Goaltending is a red herring.  Hutch wasnt good enough as a back up.  But Helle wasnt awful as a starter.  In fact, even strength he was good all season.  Team D has been bad since day one and seemingly getting worse.  Carey Price isnt Carey Price playing behind the Jets D.

The fans are beginning to wake up though and the narrative of the bad luck Jets is starting to evaporate.  Dont forget #MoMustGo