US Politics

Rich

13 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Trump owned a team in the USFL  which sued the NFL for pressuring the TV  networks to not give the USFL coverage. The USFL lawyers had the case in the bag (according to the jurors) until Trump took the stand at his insistence and against the pleas of the lawyers. He came across as so stupid and arrogant that the entire jury found the NFL guilty but awarded the USFL the princely sum of ONE DOLLAR.  The other USFL owners were so angry that none of them chose to appeal the verdict and none ever spoke to Trump or did business with him again. I would think that Trump would not pass up an opportunity to be the center of attention in the belief that he would be so clever and convincing that he would single-handedly convince the whole nation of his righteousness.

His sociopathic narcissism almost singlehandedly destroyed the USFL: https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/13255737/five-things-know-donald-trump-usfl-experience 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/11/the-day-donald-trumps-narcissism-killed-the-usfl

Early in the proceedings, the USFL called Pete Rozelle, the NFL’s commissioner, to testify as the trial’s first witness. Over the course of five interminable days, Myerson hammered Rozelle, pounded Rozelle, grilled Rozelle. In particular, he focused on Trump’s claim that the NFL commissioner promised him a franchise should he abandon/damage the USFL. There was, both sides agreed, a meeting held between Trump and Rozelle at the Pierre Hotel in March 1984. What happened, however, was of dispute.

“Didn’t you tell Mr Trump you wish he had been able to buy the Baltimore Colts and hadn’t gone into the USFL?” Myerson asked.

“No,” Rozelle replied.

“Did you tell him that if he hadn’t gone to the USFL, the USFL would have died?” Myerson asked.

“No,” Rozelle said. “Never.”

Trump’s testimony was decidedly different. He said the hotel rendezvous was Rozelle’s idea, and recalled the commissioner saying, “You will have a good chance of an NFL franchise and, in fact, you will have an NFL franchise.” The tradeoff , according to Trump, was that the USFL remain in the spring and “not bringing a lawsuit.”

Trump insisted he and Rozelle were friends. Rozelle insisted he and Trump were certainly not friends. Trump insisted Rozelle wanted him in the NFL. Rozelle insisted he would rather have maggot-infected fungus overtaking his cranial lobe. “Rozelle told me I should be in the NFL, not the USFL,” Trump said. “At some point, he said, I would be in the NFL. Then he would reiterate that the USFL was not going to make it.”

Rozelle couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He made clear that it was Trump who reserved and paid for the Pierre suite. He told Rothman: “[Trump] said, ‘I want an NFL expansion team in New York.’ And he said, and I’m quoting him exactly, ‘I would get some stiff to buy the New York Generals, my team in the USFL.’” Unlike Trump, Rozelle was a meticulous note-taker, and he presented his documented recollections from the meeting.

Rothman’s cross-examination was a breathtaking ode to knowing your subject, and taking him apart, piece by piece. Wrote Richard Hoffer of the Los Angeles Times: “Rothman characterized Trump as the worst kind of snake who was selling his colleagues down the river so he could effect a merger of a few rich teams.” It wasn’t Trump’s words, so much as his swagger and irritability. The USFL was the little league trying to be big, but Trump didn’t seem little. Or sympathetic. Or, for that matter, believable.

Rothman’s cross-examination was a breathtaking ode to knowing your subject, and taking him apart, piece by piece. Wrote Richard Hoffer of the Los Angeles Times: “Rothman characterized Trump as the worst kind of snake who was selling his colleagues down the river so he could effect a merger of a few rich teams.” It wasn’t Trump’s words, so much as his swagger and irritability. The USFL was the little league trying to be big, but Trump didn’t seem little. Or sympathetic. Or, for that matter, believable.

“He did not do the USFL well,” recalled Patricia Sibilia, a juror. “Donald Trump and I actually got into a staring match. I would watch the people on the stand, trying to read them. So he and I started looking at each other, and he tried to stare me down. It was an obvious try at intimidation. And what’s funny, in hindsight, is that this so-called business genius ruined it for them. He was not believable in anything he said. He came off as arrogant and unlikeable.”

Rozelle’s cool, controlled testimony was Kryptonite to Trump’s apparent unhinged allergies to truth. Rothman asked, repeatedly, what motivated Trump’s actions, then showed the jury multiple documents – signed or written by the Generals’ owner – that alluded to a “merger” and “merger strategy.” Trump denied his motive was to have the USFL and NFL become one, but lacked credibility. “It was so obvious that’s what this was all about,” said Sibilia. “No question.”

When Rothman suggested Trump’s ultimate goal was to wind up with a valuable NFL organization, the reply was staggering. “I could have gotten into the NFL a lot easier than going through this exercise,” he said. “I could have spent the extra money and bought the Colts on many occasions.”

A historic level of eye rolling filled the courtroom. Trump was lying. He was never a serious candidate to purchase the Colts. Never. “Who do you believe?” wrote Dave Goldberg of the Associated Press, “Donald Trump or Pete Rozelle?”

Comical stuff. And that's been his MO for years, his presidency being absolutely no exception.

30 minutes ago, Mark F said:

what did that work to per team?  Ray Jauch coached the USFL generals.

more importantly he was my substitute teacher in jr high school for a day or two.

Speedflex may be old enough to remember ray tore his Achilles, playing career over.

oops wrong thread.

There is no "old farts" thread.

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

For a fringe movement Q seems to be everywhere, especially in the Republican party and especially when Republicans says they don't know what Q is

It's seems to be moving away from fringe and moving more and more toward mainstream base for the QOP formerly known as the GOP. Anderson Cooper, Chris Cuomo and Don Lemon had good segments on it last night.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

23 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

His sociopathic narcissism almost singlehandedly destroyed the USFL: https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/13255737/five-things-know-donald-trump-usfl-experience 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/11/the-day-donald-trumps-narcissism-killed-the-usfl

Comical stuff. And that's been his MO for years, his presidency being absolutely no exception.

I have absolutely no doubt that Trump would have sold out his fellow-USFL owners in a New York minute if it would have benefitted him. Should his lawyers be unable to dissuade him from taking the stand, that would be PVR highlight material to be enjoyed again and again.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Trump owned a team in the USFL  which sued the NFL for pressuring the TV  networks to not give the USFL coverage. The USFL lawyers had the case in the bag (according to the jurors) until Trump took the stand at his insistence and against the pleas of the lawyers. He came across as so stupid and arrogant that the entire jury found the NFL guilty but awarded the USFL the princely sum of ONE DOLLAR.  The other USFL owners were so angry that none of them chose to appeal the verdict and none ever spoke to Trump or did business with him again. I would think that Trump would not pass up an opportunity to be the center of attention in the belief that he would be so clever and convincing that he would single-handedly convince the whole nation of his righteousness.

Excellent 30 for 30 on this subject its call. Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL. 

Mainstream media should just stop covering all the Republicans that are giving MTG cover, she and her God have decided that they are the enemy, let them go on their own networks to spread the gospel of Q, Democrats need to just ignore the Republicans and start to concentrate on turning legislatures of Red states before it's to late.

17 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Mainstream media should just stop covering all the Republicans that are giving MTG cover, she and her God have decided that they are the enemy, let them go on their own networks to spread the gospel of Q, Democrats need to just ignore the Republicans and start to concentrate on turning legislatures of Red states before it's to late.

The part about saving the news is kinda true, batshit crazy sells today. The news has just become a ratings game. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

He did everything in his power to do it but he's just too incompetent. Some around here really revere this man-baby. 

It’s absolutely embarrassing how some can glide right over his immense grossness of a human being and it’s tremendous negative impact that it has had with a shrug, a weak acknowledgement that he’s not that great of a guy while defaulting/deflecting to whataboutism.

26 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It’s absolutely embarrassing how some can glide right over his immense grossness of a human being and it’s tremendous negative impact that it has had with a shrug, a weak acknowledgement that he’s not that great of a guy while defaulting/deflecting to whataboutism.

Not all that surprising, given that Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin have their supporters to this day. And there are those who still revere Steven Harper.

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Politicians are soulless ghouls. Power is all that matters to them.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Not all that surprising, given that Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin have their supporters to this day. And there are those who still revere Steven Harper.

Lol not quite in the same category as those murders. 

7 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Best part of the Guardian article is the last two sentences of this snippet. A delicious middle finger to the grifter .

”And yet, in less than five minutes, USFL joy was replaced by USFL horror, and NFL horror was replaced by NFL joy. After confirming that, yes, the NFL had violated the law, the jury awarded damages of … $1.

Yes, one dollar.

“Actually, $3,” said David Cataneo, who covered the trial for the Boston Herald. “Damages in antitrust laws are tripled.”

Rozelle had the car turn around again and speed to the courthouse. Trump, already there, was sitting alongside John Mara, the son of New York Giants’ owner Wellington Mara. When the words “one dollar” emerged from Leisure’s lips, the younger Mara pulled out a $1 bill from his wallet and handed it to the Generals’ owner. Trump’s sunken expression was worth the price.”

3 hours ago, pigseye said:

Politicians are soulless ghouls. Power is all that matters to them.

Lol not quite in the same category as those murders. 

Its only a matter of degree. Trump and his miscreants are responsible, not only for the deaths at the Capitol, but at least 150,000of the 460,000 COVID deaths where prompt, appropriate action would have saved lives. He exhibits the same psychopathology as the others, with the possible exception of Stalin. BTW; Stalin was so thorough at wiping out doctors (who he considered reactionaries) that he died of pneumonia, which they could have easily treated.

13 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Its only a matter of degree. Trump and his miscreants are responsible, not only for the deaths at the Capitol, but at least 150,000of the 460,000 COVID deaths where prompt, appropriate action would have saved lives. He exhibits the same psychopathology as the others, with the possible exception of Stalin. BTW; Stalin was so thorough at wiping out doctors (who he considered reactionaries) that he died of pneumonia, which they could have easily treated.

I love this circular arguement. Trump is responsible for deaths in the states not the actual state government. Yet in Canada the provincial government is responsible for the deaths and not Trudeau. So why is that the blue states have twice the death rate as red states? How did Trump pull that off?

8 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Are you talking about per capita or outright deaths?

The only thing that matters, outright deaths. 

12 hours ago, pigseye said:

I love this circular arguement. Trump is responsible for deaths in the states not the actual state government. Yet in Canada the provincial government is responsible for the deaths and not Trudeau. So why is that the blue states have twice the death rate as red states? How did Trump pull that off?

There's the full quote, don't want any cherry picking here.

Care to explain how in Canada the Provinces are blamed for their covid response yet in the USA state governments are not? Just asking, I'd really like to hear an answer to this.