US Politics

Rich

I dont begrudge someone *not* being a hero and President's *should* let their secret service handle issues.  But if you're going to proclaim yourself a hero, more than once, you open yourself up to scrutiny, especially when you avoided Vietnam five times and criticized those who WERE heroes in that conflict.  By the way, Mueller went to Vietnam and took a bullet.

2 minutes ago, do or die said:

So the larger set of those indictments against Gates have been dropped, after a guilty plea?   Mueller must be really getting the royal jelly, here.......

It would almost surely mean he's flipped.  I know some people here tried to downplay the guilty plea as a nothingburger.  But this would seem to counter that notion.

There has been a couple of stories that confirm Trump feels Manafort can jeopardize him.  So there are two thoughts here.  1) Gates, as Manafort's partner, knows as much as Manafort and his information can hurt Trump and/or 2) Gates flipping leaves Manafort alone in the wild and will be used to pressure him into flipping too.

I would think, if Manafort flips, its really the big game at that point - Trump and Kushner.  If Mueller isnt comfortable indicting Kushner and recommending impeachment against Trump, it might be that Manafort is his big game catch.

Perhaps a connection here.....Washington Post just put out a story about some more issues with Kushner's somewhat ambiguous status:

Officials in at least four countries have privately discussed ways they can manipulate Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, by taking advantage of his complex business arrangements, financial difficulties and lack of foreign policy experience, according to current and former U.S. officials familiar with intelligence reports on the matter. 

Among those nations discussing ways to influence Kushner to their advantage were the United Arab Emirates, China, Israel and Mexico, the current and former officials said. 

H.R. McMaster, President Trump’s national security adviser, learned that Kushner had contacts with foreign officials that he did not coordinate through the National Security Council or officially report. The issue of foreign officials talking about their meetings with Kushner and their perception of his vulnerabilities was a subject raised in McMaster’s daily intelligence briefings, according to the current and former officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.

To say nothing of his potential actions, trying to address his 1.2 B debt, during the transition, including trying to set up a secret back channel, with some Russian fellas.

Does this mean peace in the Middle East is on hold?   What a joke.

Whenever he goes after Sessions, I honestly think its 1) to throw dirt on the DOJ, even his own people 2) to try and make Sessions quit so he can replace him with someone who will fire Mueller and take the heat.  Trump could fire Sessions any time he wants but he knows the political fall out would be immense.  But if Sessions quits on his own, then so be it. 

3 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Based on my own personal experience, TUP is right about the Sessions stuff.  I've worked for bosses who, for whatever reason, did not want to fire people.  So they would passive-aggressively "manage them out of the company."

I believe Sessions has offered his resignation before and Trump declined, which fits this idea.  Trump wants no part of firing, pushing, suggesting, accepting Sessions leaving.  He's trying to force Sessions to create a reason to go that has nothing to do with Trump.