US Politics

Rich

2 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

What changes are you talking about? Also, could you define what the swamp is.

The Change is just that, a non career politician. That's really what it came down to in the end, it was the career politician vs the non career politician... The change the Americans wanted was, a large percentage of them, they didn't want, well, basically, they didn't want OBAMA the Women in charge, yeah i know, but it's the best way to put it at the moment. 

Hillary was Obama JR and i'm not sure exactly why people got tired of Obama but apparently they did and they didn't want his basically hand picked Hillary in charge. 

I don't live there, I don't know why people felt that way, I personally thought Obama did good, Apparently to a lot of the population who voted, he didn't do as good as maybe i thought.

The Swamp, Lol, It's basically Washington DC, Lobbyists and Career politicians who don't really care about what the average American thinks or feels, The people who voted for Trump thought he'd remove these types of people from his cabinet but looks like it's been filled with those types of people, Nothing says relating to the average american like a cabinet worth many billions and billions of dollars. 

As a side note here, I see people talking about Hillary won the popular vote, YUP, but since when did the popular vote matter in the US..

A few losers have won the popular vote over the years but, like i said, in the end, they were the losers and the guy that didn't win the popular vote ended up being the man in charge for the next 4 or 8 years. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

This election was never NEVER as close as the media made it out to be. I don't like Trump... I don't like Hillary but if I'm American and voting that day... I vote Trump because I'm tired of the BS going on in Washington DC. I see a career politician a member of the swamp so to speak and I see a guy who regardless of his issues is not a part of the swamp. I vote for Trump because like lots of Americans I want change. This was about change. Trump = Change and I don't really like him but I get why ppl voted for him. I get why he won. Will that change be better than the last 8 years?  It remains to be seen. Trump has issues... hillary had issues but right now Trump actually deserves a chance to see what he can do. All these people have skeletons in their closets... every politician lies... they all are all talk and no action. Will trump be the same? Maybe but just maybe he will actually MAGA. 

This mindset is one of the main reasons why politics, at any level, has a hard time attracting good people. Who wants to step into the ring when you're automatically seen as bad?

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

This mindset is one of the main reasons why politics, at any level, has a hard time attracting good people. Who wants to step into the ring when you're automatically seen as bad?

I should say not all of them are bad people or lie but a good percentage of them certainly do. They promise you the world but then never really deliver on those promises, i guess instead of saying they are liars or bad people, i should just say they will say what is needed to get elected and then kind of just back off on a few of the things that they said, kind of like Trump and his WALL stance, people actually thought they would build a berlin type wall across the mexico border, that was never gonna happen. 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

This election was never NEVER as close as the media made it out to be. I don't like Trump... I don't like Hillary but if I'm American and voting that day... I vote Trump because I'm tired of the BS going on in Washington DC. I see a career politician a member of the swamp so to speak and I see a guy who regardless of his issues is not a part of the swamp. I vote for Trump because like lots of Americans I want change. This was about change. Trump = Change and I don't really like him but I get why ppl voted for him. I get why he won. Will that change be better than the last 8 years?  It remains to be seen. Trump has issues... hillary had issues but right now Trump actually deserves a chance to see what he can do. All these people have skeletons in their closets... every politician lies... they all are all talk and no action. Will trump be the same? Maybe but just maybe he will actually MAGA. 

I think you've summarized the reason Trump got elected pretty well.  Trump is not a part of the existing political structure, thus he is a radical, much as Bernie Sanders would have been regarded as a radical if he had advanced further in the presidential election.  A radical could potentially make things better by introducing drastic improvements to the system but one could also easily see how Trump could make things much worse than they currently are and divide the country further.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

I should say not all of them are bad people or lie but a good percentage of them certainly do. They promise you the world but then never really deliver on those promises, i guess instead of saying they are liars or bad people, i should just say they will say what is needed to get elected and then kind of just back off on a few of the things that they said, kind of like Trump and his WALL stance, people actually thought they would build a berlin type wall across the mexico border, that was never gonna happen. 

The mistake is in believing they actually work for "the people", when in fact they are working for the people who line their pockets.  They do their best not to lie to that group.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

I thought that these graphics were kind of interesting, demonstrating the division in America between Democrat and Republican, and just how concentrated the Democrat vote is in coastal urban centers:

TrumpLand

Clinton Archipelago

Maps were created using IDW (Inverse distance weighted) technique in ArcGIS.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

On 12/20/2016 at 10:00 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes, those that voted as pledged for Trump upheld democracy.  Those that voted against their pledge by not voting for Hilary also upheld democracy as long as you're a republican.  lol

It was a silly campaign to begin with.  But not completely without merit.  If the Electoral College serves no purpose but to essentially ratify the vote, get rid of them.  Their purpose is to be the final judgement on whether the winning candidate is worthy and qualified.  One could certainly argue Trump is neither.  In an election where he barely won and, in fact, lost the vote by a significant number, the purpose of the college was relevant.  And they did exactly as expected and in our modern time, exactly as they should...which in turn shows how useless the whole thing is to begin with.

The American people will decide if the Electoral College should go or not. As Canadians we have no say. You can post whatever you want & try to justify your belief that it should go but in the end your opinion about the EC mean absolutely nothing. So why even worry about it?

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The American people will decide if the Electoral College should go or not. As Canadians we have no say. You can post whatever you want & try to justify your belief that it should go but in the end your opinion about the EC mean absolutely nothing. So why even worry about it?

If we took this argument on all topics, there would be no discussion on this board. 

We don't impact personnel decisions on the football side of things, yet it is widely talked about. 

6 hours ago, Rich said:

If we took this argument on all topics, there would be no discussion on this board. 

We don't impact personnel decisions on the football side of things, yet it is widely talked about. 

Some posters here (not all) get carried away with their political beliefs & threads like this become shouting matches. The election is over & Trump is President so it doesn't matter about the popular vote anymore.  Time to move on. I despise Trump but the US election was nearly 2 months ago.

interesting short article. Law signed by Obama the other day setting up a new gubmint agency

http://thegarrisoncenter.org/

the CFDAPA sets aside $160 million over two years to, among other things, “support local independent media to refute foreign disinformation and manipulation in their communities.” That is, to bribe local media to publish Washington’s disinformation and propaganda instead of disinformation and propaganda from foreign sources. Not an entirely new project — the Office of National Drug Control Policy has been paying Hollywood to lie to us about marijuana for decades now.

Yet another propaganda arm of the US government

doesn't have to sign it.

can't be bothered to go check, but what democrats voted against this?

cause, that party hasn't voted for anything like this right Jacquie?

anyway, maybe you didn't read the whole article. It mentions this:

The CFDAPA (yes, I’m going to give that mouthful an acronym) started out as a separate piece of “bipartisan” legislation  introduced by US Senators Rob Portman (R-OH) Chris Murphy (D-CT).

Edited by Mark F

From Reuters:

The NDAA passed both chambers in the Republican-led Congress with margins large enough to overcome a veto, and the compromise legislation features many provisions such as a military pay raise and an expansion of a landmark human rights bill, that are extremely popular in Congress. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-defense-congress-idUSKBN13X26G

From The Hill:

President Obama has signed the annual defense policy bill into law, the White House announced Friday.

But Obama said he was disappointed in a number of aspects of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).

“Congress again failed to enact meaningful reforms to divest unneeded force structure, reduce wasteful overhead and modernize military healthcare,” he said. “Instead, the Congress redirects funding needed to support the warfighter to fund additional end-strength that our military leaders have not requested at a time when our troops are engaged overseas supporting the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and against al-Qaida."

But, he said, he signed it because it "authorizes fiscal year 2017 appropriations principally for the Department of Defense and for Department of Energy national security programs, provides vital benefits for military personnel and their families, and includes authorities to facilitate ongoing operations around the globe."

The bill passed both the House and the Senate with veto-proof majorities earlier this month.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/311725-obama-signs-annual-defense-policy-bill-into-law

So, again, let's blame Obama for something that would have gone through with or without his signing it.

Edited by Jacquie

veto proof doesn't mean it would be vetoed. and how many Democrats voted for this? And Obama doesn't seem to be complaining about the act that I posted about.

Anway, Obama says/said a lot of things. He was going to close Guantanamo first day in office. That is an executive decision that he and he alone makes. Still open.

Obama said he would amend NAFTA. didn't even try. It was a line of BS. 

It's a long list. Making it easier to form a union.... campaigned on that, did nothing. worked with Republicans to pass the transpacific partnership.

but if you listen to him,  it's all the Republicans fault. That argument  doesn't withstand even the slightest scrutiny.

Edited by Mark F

There are 100 members in the Senate - at the time that it was voted on the breakdown was 54 Republicans, 44 Democrats and 2 independents. The vote passing the NDAA was 92-7. The 3 Republicans, 3 Democrats and 1 independent voted against it with 1 Republican not voting.

Jacquie It seems you think Obama has done a decent job. That's fine.

I think he hasn't. I can list lots of things he's done,  and hasn't done that I don't like... you probably already know most of them and think it's ok.

This one alone sickens me.

The New York Timesrecent revelation that President Obama, operating off a government “kill list,” has been personally directing who should be targeted for death by military drones (unmanned aerial assault vehicles) merely pushes us that much closer to that precipitous drop-off to authoritarianism. Should we fail to recognize and rectify the danger in allowing a single individual to declare himself the exception to the rule of law and assume the role of judge, jury, and executioner, we will have no one else to blame when we plunge once and for all into the abyss that is tyranny.

Declaring Obama’s actions “without precedent in presidential history,” the New York Times describes a process whereby every few weeks, Obama and approximately a hundred members of his national security team gather for their “Terror Tuesday” meetings in which they hand pick the next so-called national security “threat” to die by way of the American military/CIA drone program. Obama signs off personally on about a third of the drone strikes:

ok with you I suppose.

Not me.

9 hours ago, Jacquie said:

There are 100 members in the Senate - at the time that it was voted on the breakdown was 54 Republicans, 44 Democrats and 2 independents. The vote passing the NDAA was 92-7. The 3 Republicans, 3 Democrats and 1 independent voted against it with 1 Republican not voting.

I have yet to find any confirmation on the story about the $160 million for the Big Brother program.  Is this a real thing or was it fake news?  Can anyone find independent confirmation?

Edited by kelownabomberfan

going to add this from the Guardian:

The most extremist power any political leader can assert is the power to target his own citizens for execution without any charges or due process, far from any battlefield. The Obama administration has not only asserted exactly that power in theory, but has exercised it in practice. In September 2011, it killed US citizen Anwar Awlaki in a drone strike in Yemen, along with US citizen Samir Khan, and then, in circumstances that are still unexplained, two weeks later killed Awlaki's 16-year-old American son Abdulrahman with a separate drone strike in Yemen.

Since then, senior Obama officials including Attorney General Eric Holder and John Brennan, Obama's top terrorism adviser and his current nominee to lead the CIA, have explicitly argued that the president is and should be vested with this power. Meanwhile, a Washington Post article from October reported that the administration is formally institutionalizing this president's power to decide who dies under the Orwellian title "disposition matrix".

The CIA’s drone campaign in Pakistan has killed dozens of  civilians who had gone to help rescue victims or were attending funerals, an investigation by the Bureau for the Sunday Times has revealed.

But research by the Bureau has found that since Obama took office three years ago, between 282 and 535 civilians have been credibly reported as killed including more than 60 children. 

Although the drone attacks were started under the Bush administration in 2004, they have been stepped up enormously under Obama.

Obama, double tap man.

Known as the "double tap," the tactic involves bombing a target multiple times in relatively quick succession, meaning that the second strike often hits first responders. 

A 2007 report by the Homeland Security Institute called double taps a "favorite tactic of Hamas" and the FBI considers it a tactic employed by terrorists.

Having exercised this power without objection, Obama now hands it on to his successor, Donald Trump.

Edited by Mark F

21 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I have yet to find any confirmation on the story about the $160 million for the Big Brother program.  Is this a real thing or was it fake news?  Can anyone find independent confirmation?

"On 30 November 2016, legislators approved a measure within the National Defense Authorization Act to ask the U.S. State Department to take action through an interagency panel.[1][6] The legislation authorized funding of $160 million over a two-year-period."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countering_Foreign_Propaganda_and_Disinformation_Act

but, good point, worth checking.

Edited by Mark F