US Politics

Rich

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I have yet to find any confirmation on the story about the $160 million for the Big Brother program.  Is this a real thing or was it fake news?  Can anyone find independent confirmation?

It's not quite the Big Brother thing that blog called it. 

Obama gave us Trump. He was that bad. Kerry lecturing the Israelis on settlements was just so stupid with 3 weeks left to the change of the Presidency. Obama can try to sign into law as many bills as he likes before he leaves the White House but with Congress & Senate controlled by the Repubs as many laws as possible will be struck down by Trump when he take over. Like the Keystone Pipeline.

Obama did NOT give us Trump. Two unlikable polarizing candidates going against each other gave us Trump. A late November poll indicated Obama still has a high approval rating (57% - compare that to George W Bush whose average approval rating was 49%.

Edited by Jacquie

9 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Obama did NOT give us Trump. Two unlikable polarizing candidates going against each other gave us Trump. A late November poll indicated Obama still has a high approval rating (57% - compare that to George W Bush whose average approval rating was 49%.

Obama gave us Trump. He truly alienated the right wing white vote that no one felt was important. Trump saw that & exploited it. Were the Dems & everyone else wrong. Outgoing Presidents seem to carry the popular vote.  Lots of Presidents & Prime Ministers would be very happy with a 49% approval rating nationwide.

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Obama gave us Trump. He truly alienated the right wing white vote that no one felt was important. Trump saw that & exploited it. Were the Dems & everyone else wrong. Outgoing Presidents seem to carry the popular vote.  Lots of Presidents & Prime Ministers would be very happy with a 49% approval rating nationwide.

Except that Trump isn't going to do anything different for the right wing white vote. I'm baffled by people who are satisfied with lip service. Trump will do no more to accommodate their personal beliefs than Obama did. The United States, and all other countries, needs to get past the idea that any leader will somehow accommodate their personal beliefs.

Trump played the game and got himself elected. His VP is a guy who makes clips about 'grace before dinner and church on Sunday' that got them millions of votes in the mid-west.  They will do nothing for the people who voted for them because of that, but so many of them blindly believe they will. 

50 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

They will do nothing for the people who voted for them because of that, but so many of them blindly believe they will. 

correct. although I would say not blindly.  Princeton and Northwestern University study:

After sifting through nearly 1,800 U.S. policies enacted in that period and comparing them to the expressed preferences of average Americans (50th percentile of income), affluent Americans (90th percentile), and large special interests groups, researchers concluded that the U.S. is dominated by its economic elite.

The peer-reviewed study, which will be taught at these universities in September, says: "The central point that emerges from our research is that economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on US government policy, while mass-based interest groups and average citizens have little or no independent influence."

Not really a big shock is it.

Edited by Mark F
edit

5 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Except that Trump isn't going to do anything different for the right wing white vote. I'm baffled by people who are satisfied with lip service. Trump will do no more to accommodate their personal beliefs than Obama did. The United States, and all other countries, needs to get past the idea that any leader will somehow accommodate their personal beliefs.

Trump played the game and got himself elected. His VP is a guy who makes clips about 'grace before dinner and church on Sunday' that got them millions of votes in the mid-west.  They will do nothing for the people who voted for them because of that, but so many of them blindly believe they will. 

I agree entirely Mark. I don't like Trump but the dissatisfaction in the Rust Belt States & White America is quite clear. The Democrats thought the White Vote was unimportant as did most political pundits. They felt the Woman's Vote, Latino & Black Vote would get Clinton elected but on Election Day they all stayed home which in itself was incredible. The White Vote came out strongly that day & got Trump elected. Like I said, I don't like Trump at all but his election strategists sure called it right on November 8th. They won the States he needed to win & got the EC vote. Now America, you got the government you deserve.

An exit poll breaking down who voted for whom that is interesting. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html?_r=0

"Data for 2016 were collected by Edison Research for the National Election Pool, a consortium of ABC News, The Associated Press, CBSNews, CNN, Fox News and NBC News."

In a breakdown of "Most important candidate quality", the vast majority of Trump voters chose "Can bring needed change". Those are the people who will be disappointed considering Trump's choices for his cabinet. He hasn't "drained the swamp" - he's added to it.

Edited by Jacquie

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

An exit poll breaking down who voted for whom that is interesting. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html?_r=0

"Data for 2016 were collected by Edison Research for the National Election Pool, a consortium of ABC News, The Associated Press, CBSNews, CNN, Fox News and NBC News."

In a breakdown of "Most important candidate quality", the vast majority of Trump voters chose "Can bring needed change". Those are the people who will be disappointed considering Trump's choices for his cabinet. He hasn't "drained the swamp" - he's added to it.

No surprises here. Many Trump supporters are white Christians, many of them living in small towns or rural areas. All the other numbers are pretty balanced. That's why he won the mid-west by a huge margin, so huge that California didn't even matter 

12 hours ago, Mark F said:

correct. although I would say not blindly.  Princeton and Northwestern University study:

Not really a big shock is it.

I mean the people who voted for them because of their religious beliefs. White Christians feel under represented and they think Trump will do something about that. 

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

Just shows there's not a bigger fool than a blind one. His supporters will still claim he drained the swamp. He can do no wrong right now. Give it 2 years.

2 hours ago, Jacquie said:

I'm curious as to who he could have appointed that wouldn't have resulted in the criticism that he hasn't drained the swamp.  Who would have fit the bill?

11 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'm curious as to who he could have appointed that wouldn't have resulted in the criticism that he hasn't drained the swamp.  Who would have fit the bill?

Kelownabomberfan, he really has just appointed people he admired in the military, as well as his friends & billionaires from Wall Street. I don't see anyyone who stands out as being different from before. If anything, these advisors will be more influential than ever before & that's a scary thought.

35 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The problem with it... he said he would drain the swamp. He hasn't. I'm not sure how anyone sane could support a guy who just on twitter basically called Putin the man. It's disgusting 

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The first time Trump used that phrase was to set out what he wanted to do about lobbyists - especially those lobbying for foreign governments. At one point his transition team was filled with lobbyist and consultants. His Secretary of Defence James Mattis was employed by a cnsulting group (that's apparently the new name for lobbyists). And now his former campaign manager has opened a new lobbying firm with another Trump supporter in the same building where the Trump transition team is located and that's not a problem for Trump and the Republicans. H

Here's an excerpt from a Chicago Tribune commentary:

You may remember Trump's closing ad of the campaign, in which he said, "Our movement is about replacing a failed and corrupt political establishment with a new government controlled by you, the American people" over images of Wall Street, piles of money, financiers like George Soros, and other symbols of established power and wealth. "It's a global power structure," he went on, "that is responsible for the economic decisions that have robbed our working class, stripped our country of its wealth, and put that money into the pockets of a handful of large corporations and political entities."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-trump-cabinet-billionaires-wall-street-20161201-story.html

So it seems that Trump's idea of taking on Wall Street meant appointing a bunch of them to his cabinet. 

Their system has been degrading for decades. At one point the Transnationals were under control, and would not have thought of doing the things that are commonplace now. 

I think it started under the Democrats at the election of Carter,

"What Speaker O'Neill and Majority Leader Wright have done this April day is exactly what the Reaction requires: They have invited the heads of the largest corporations in America to walk into the offices of congressmen, make free of Capitol Hill and  direct all the influence they can muster to kill off any legislation they  do not like; a "limited agenda" which will leave the "outsider" President without a single democratic reform to his credit and which will alter, in due course, the political atmosphere of the country."

And I agree, Trump won't do anything for Christians any more than he will for anyone else.  other than himself and his business associates, friends, and family. Same as those before him.

Starting to wonder if Trump might not be as bad as I thought

"Republicans are to drop a plan to gut the independent body that investigates political misconduct, after an outcry.

President-elect Donald Trump had criticised Republicans after they voted to strip the Office of Congressional Ethics of its independence.

"Focus on tax reform, healthcare and so many other things of far greater importance!" Mr Trump said in a tweet.

The proposal was dropped in an emergency meeting at the new Congress, unnamed lawmakers told the US media."

also, Ford just cancelled plans to move a factory to Mexico.

government by tweet. :lol:

Edited by Mark F

The Republican backing down on the gutting of the Office of Congressional Ethics had more to do with public pressure than Trump. 

Trump celebrates New Year's Eve with convicted felon.

A new video raises questions about President-elect Donald Trump's relationship with Joseph "Joey No Socks" Cinque, who once reportedly survived a mob hit and was associated with the infamous mob boss John Gotti.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/03/politics/donald-trump-joey-cinque-mob-new-years/index.html

Edited by Jacquie

Yeah, there's a biography of Trump, I haven't read it, but a friend said it has all the details of his  mob ties.

Course Kennedy won Chicago through mob ties/influence so they say, his old man was a bootlegger, and the CIA used the mob to try to kill Castro, so mob ties are not new in high level US politics. Probably goes back a long time.

Doesn't excuse Trump.

Some smart people think he's going to be impeached sooner or later.

Amazing eh? The very first thing the Republicans try to do, is  ditch the ethics department. Geniuses I tells yah!

What a bunch of morans.

Edited by Mark F
edit

There's always been rumours JFK's assassination was a hit by the Mafia. That senate investigation Robert Kennedy did on the mob with the backing of his his brother Jack when he was president apparently really pissed off the Mafia as they again supposedly helped get JFK first elected as a Senator in the early 50's.

20 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There's always been rumours JFK's assassination was a hit by the Mafia. That senate investigation Robert Kennedy did on the mob with the backing of his his brother Jack when he was president apparently really pissed off the Mafia as they again supposedly helped get JFK first elected as a Senator in the early 50's.

If you believe the movies and theories, Sinatra was the one who introduced the Mob to the Kennedys.  The mayor of Chicago helped JFK get elected by stuffing ballot boxes in Illinois.

And supposedly JFK's father, desperate for a President in the family, made the deal with the mob behind JFK's back.  I dont doubt RFK's genuine desire to bring the mob to justice was real.

The democrats expected women to vote for the female candidate in the same way black voters voted for the black candidate.  And it wasnt the same at all.

I tend to doubt Trump had a real strategy.  His attitude and bombasticness attracted people.  His celebrity attracted people.  Those are results of who he is, not how he strategized.  His racist remarks and some of the populist "anti-Muslim" stuff attracted bigots and the mis-guided.  Making Hilary "a third Obama term" coupled with that sentiment brought out the racists. 

Im not sure there was much strategy until the annoying but effective Kellyanne Conway came on board.  I guess that jerk who got fired had a stratgey but it seemed to be for Trump to be Trump...with the volume turned up.  Conway seemed to embrace the idea of Trump being Trump and then she'd go on the mainstream news and smooth the edges.

That FBI Director should get a cabinet position since he's the most directly responsible person for Trump's victory.

Trump wont likely be impeached.  But he will quit before the next election.  The only surprise will be whether he passes the torch to Pence or shanks him in favour of his daughter or son-in-law.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

former CIA head quits trump yesterday

spy head Clapper publicly saying Trump's wrong about election interference...

doubt this has happened before....maybe Clapper's going to have to quit.

It's new political ground with Trump, the loose cannon.

somebody save us.

Edited by Mark F