GDT: Winnipeg @ Ottawa

Rich

O'Shea must have himself played when he was injured. I don't remember, but I'm guessing he was pretty tough.

I suspect that as head coach he expects the same kind of thing from his players .

He said something like that about Willy, when he played a week or so after some people thought he had a concussion... made a comment about how tough Drew was. Also this year when Nichols made a tackle.

I don't know enough to comment on this kind of tough guy approach. But, I don't think Willy or the team benefitted from it.

Some of the comments in this thread are absolutely hilarious.

"WE LEFT NICHOLS IN WAY TOO LONG HE COULD'VE GOTTEN HURT"

"WHAT A JERK FOR PULLING HARRIS TO KEEP HIM FROM GETTING HURT"

This thread only confirms for me what I've seen all year - Bomber fans have been ruined by all these seasons of losing, we have no idea how to cheer a winner.

I won't disagree with that sentiment. It's battered wife syndrome, for lack of a better term. I live in a constant state of fear with this team because I've been hurt so many times. I just come to expect that we can't have nice things. 

33 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Ray Jones said it best: "Winnipeg fans can't appreciate just winning."

Yet another slam against Winnipeg. The list is large isn't it?

For some people the default is, "stupid fans, got it wrong again".

It should be the reverse. Like it or not, they need the fans.

Pro teams and players and uberfans should be as tough about what fans say as they are about getting nailed while going for a first down or decked by a Buff body check, or getting misty eyed about their team/coach/fav player.

There's as much crying about negative fans as there is about anything else including is the coach any good.

I don't care if somebody thinks the Bombers are on the edge of greatness.... go ahead. Why does anybody care if I don't think that?

Edited by Mark F

12 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I would have to think that if Harris had some sort of bonus to kick in at 1k, they would likely give it to him, considering the circumstances. 

I think it probably goes well beyond the small monetary benefit with a prideful guy like Harris and either O'Shea or Lapo should have been very cognizant of this going into the 4th Q and accommodated him.  In Harris's case it's not about the dollars.

I'm glad Medlock got his CFL record.....but like others have said, it's a reflection of our offensive offense in the red zone. There's no doubt it's an area of weakness on our team.

Harris is a competitor, and a football warrior. He was hurt, and playing through it. We need him next week, and as much as I would like to have seen him get to 1000, I'd rather see him help us to a win over BC next week.

Leaving Nichols in was a mistake IMO, Glen needs some reps if he's the backup. Taking Harris out was not a mistake.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Some of the comments in this thread are absolutely hilarious.

"WE LEFT NICHOLS IN WAY TOO LONG HE COULD'VE GOTTEN HURT"

"WHAT A JERK FOR PULLING HARRIS TO KEEP HIM FROM GETTING HURT"

This thread only confirms for me what I've seen all year - Bomber fans have been ruined by all these seasons of losing, we have no idea how to cheer a winner.

I find the negativity appalling actually. Our team started out 1-4 and finished 10-3. Yet somehow we ***** about that!

After years and years of losing we make the play-offs, where anything can happen. Let's be happy!

I know that people are pushing the idea that FGs are a reflection of possibly an inept offence. And to an extant that's correct.

Our red zone efficiency puts us in 7th place at 53.1%.

Ottawa, strangely, is 8th in red zone efficiency at 49.2%, and they are #1 in net offence. 

Maybe we get a little more 'conservative' knowing that we have 3 points 'in the bank'.

But we still have to move the ball to get into position. And we do that. A lot.

And nobody has less two-and-outs at 68.

Surely that counts for something.

Edited by Mr Dee

Westerman plays on the edge. He's a beast. He is so fast off the snap.

Hope he brings it and more for playoffs.

Have we also found another weapon to offset Harris with our fullback Normand or was it Ottawa provided us with a false positive? He ran like a beast last night. Needs to learn to catch though. :-)

25 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I know that people are pushing the idea that FGs are a reflection of possibly an inept offence. And to an extant that's correct.

Our red zone efficiency puts us in 7th place at 53.1%.

Ottawa, strangely, is 8th in red zone efficiency at 49.2%, and they are #1 in net offence. 

Maybe we get a little more 'conservative' knowing that we have 3 points 'in the bank'.

But we still have to move the ball to get into position. And we do that. A lot.

And nobody has less two-and-outs at 68.

Surely that counts for something.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the RB's score a lot of their TD's from beyond the 30 yd. line that does not count  as red-zone production, true?

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

If you were  RedBlack fan, would you be upset that they sat most of their starters that basically won them that dubious record of below 500 1st place team? I can see one or two players and I get it about preventing injuries but really. I hope Ottawa and Calgary get pummelled in the finals.

Also, as a paying customer, if they are going to sit their starters then there should be a discount on my ticket price. It's like when NHL teams who are out of the playoffs suiting up their AHL players but I still pay full price on my ticket. 

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

With their receiving core Ottawa probably doesn't get much practice scoring TD's in tight to the end-zone.

You would think so, but Ottawa has had the 2nd most attempts from inside the 20. (The Bombers have had the 6th most attempts..) 

So, does that mean their receivers at least get them there?

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

You would think so, but Ottawa has had the 2nd most attempts from inside the 20. (The Bombers have had the 6th most attempts..) 

So, does that mean their receivers at least get them there?

Must be, the RB's don't rely much on their RB's.  I think Wpg. has moved the ball reasonably well this year between the 20's, they lack somewhat in the big plays and in their red-zone production.  If they could sort that out for next week that would be a nice surprise.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Must be, the RB's don't rely much on their RB's.  I think Wpg. has moved the ball reasonably well this year between the 20's, they lack somewhat in the big plays and in their red-zone production.  If they could sort that out for next week that would be a nice surprise.

.That's it....work the red zone until we get something that works...Practise ...practise ...practise till we get it right, otherwise the red zone will remain the dead zone for this club, and the field goals will continue to be the most prolific part of our game

7 minutes ago, Stickem said:

.That's it....work the red zone until we get something that works...Practise ...practise ...practise till we get it right, otherwise the red zone will remain the dead zone for this club, and the field goals will continue to be the most prolific part of our game

Remember the last game when Burris marched his team into the end zone effortlessly twice and then executed the 2-point conversions just as effortlessly? That was offensive efficiency at it's finest and made me so damned jealous that we don't have anything like it. Not even close.

2 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Most touches of any rb in the league, and he missed a few games. 

I get that. I'm talking about abandoning the running game when it's purring right along. Why would an OC do that? I'm just trying to understand. I always thought the idea was to do what is successful until the D takes it away from you.