Trouba wants out (Trouba has signed)

FrostyWinnipeg

Here is a great list posted to a blog site:

Note: Posted this in the previous thread but it fits better here given the topic of the blog.

Here is a list of players that any deal for Trouba likely starts and ends with (as in other parts can be added by either team to make perceived fair value but if one of these players is not coming back to the Jets then the deal won't happen at all):

ANA - Cam Fowler
ANA - Hampus Lindholm
ANA - Shea Theodore

ANA already has tons of young right-shot defencemen and may have trouble fitting in a contract for Trouba, not to mention that removal of any of the above three players creates a problem on the left side for ANA.

ARI - Jacob Chychrun

Jacob Chychrun was just drafted and WPG likely wants a player with more certainty as to their future ceiling as a NHL player.

BOS - Jakub Zboril

See note regarding Chychrun.

CAR - Noah Hanifin
CAR - Haydn Fleury

Hanifin is likely not a player CAR would even consider giving up and Fleury may not have the experience WPG wants.

COL - Nikita Zadorov
COL - Chris Bigras

WPG is not likely to want to trade within the division and both Zadorov and Bigras have had the shine wear off a bit as prospects (in particular, a prospect that has already been traded once such as Zadorov is far less appealing in a trade - see Dano, Marko).

CBJ - Ryan Murray
CBJ - Zach Werenski

CBJ would have to cut off its nose to spite its face here, so to speak, and if I were the WPG management Ryan Murray is not a player I particularly want if there are other options. Werenski I imagine would be a non-starter for CBJ given the esteem he is held in by their organization.

EDM - Oscar Klefbom
EDM - Darnell Nurse

Klefbom doesn't make much sense as EDM surely wants to keep hold of their de-facto top-pairing lefty. Nurse would certainly be a more interesting proposition to both teams, especially if EDM is comfortable with Davidson/Reinhart filling the 3LD/7D positions going into the season. EDM has almost the opposite problem of Winnipeg where they have almost too many left shots and not enough right shots.
MIN - Jonas Brodin

This trade is probably not possible within the division and between two teams that likely view one another as being competition for a playoff challenge.

MTL - Nathan Beaulieu
MTL - Mikhail Sergachev

Neither is a realistic option. If MTL trades Beaulieu then they don't have a partner for Weber. If MTL trades Sergachev then they don't have a replacement for Markov. Add in Weber and Petry as MTL's current right-side options and I doubt Trouba falls into any better of a situation than he currently is in in WPG (not that he gets a say unless a team demands the right to talk contract with him prior to pulling the trigger on the trade).

NSH - Mattias Ekholm

There are countless reasons why this deal wouldn't work, but Ekholm is certainly a player WPG should be interested in.

NYI - Nick Leddy

See the note on Ekholm.

OTT - Thomas Chabot

Like others mentioned previously, Chabot may be slightly too green to pique WPG's interest too much.

PHI - Shanye Gostisbehere
PHI - Ivan Provorov
PHI - Robert Hagg
PHI - Samuel Morin
PHI - Travis Sanheim

PHI looks like a good trading partner for WPG here with no fewer than 5 options to pursue. All of PHI's top defence prospects are left-handed so they are potentially facing a log-jam in the future trying to fit all of these names in and WPG could help them out (and move Trouba out of the conference completely). Provorov and Gostisbehere may be a little too much to ask for without WPG adding more but Morin and Sanheim could be good choices as well.

PIT - Olli Maatta
PIT - Derrick Pouliot

These teams would make surprising trading partners and PIT would be hard pressed to make such a deal without sending significant salary back to WPG. PIT is likely loathe to move either player but they may feel that Trouba is more of a sure thing than two players who have had injuries and developmental concerns in the recent past.

TBL - Nikita Nesterov
TBL - Slater Koekkoek

The biggest obstacle here is Tampa Bay's cap issues as they would need to send significant dollars back to even contemplate acquiring Trouba. From WPG's perspective, I doubt these players are as appealing as some of the other names on this list so they may be best to take a pass on taking back a lesser player than Trouba and a cash dump to even the money.

TOR - Morgan Reilly

If TOR didn't hang up the phone laughing immediately after receiving this trade proposal I would be very surprised. Not only is Reilly's stock higher around the league but then Toronto would need to find a top pair LD to fill the gap. Jake Gardiner is not on the list because WPG management is not James Tanner.

VAN - Olli Juolevi

If VAN were able to trade the Sedins and revert to a traditional rebuild model then I would see them holding onto Juolevi but in reality where they are trying to stay competitive for the Sedins they might value the further-developed Trouba more. In any case, I imagine WPG wants someone a little further along on the developmental curve than Juolevi, despite the upside.

In general, the Jets' potential trading partners are other teams with flawed rosters who have excess left-sided defencemen either on the roster or in the system. In general, I don't think the trade request hurts the value that Winnipeg will get for Trouba as young, skilled right-shot defencemen are hard to come by and the Jets are not under pressure to be contenders this year (so not having Trouba in the lineup while things sort themselves out is not the end of the world - in fact it may create more opportunity for a player like Josh Morrissey to play top 4 minutes).

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Here is a great list posted to a blog site:

Note: Posted this in the previous thread but it fits better here given the topic of the blog.

Here is a list of players that any deal for Trouba likely starts and ends with (as in other parts can be added by either team to make perceived fair value but if one of these players is not coming back to the Jets then the deal won't happen at all):

ANA - Cam Fowler
ANA - Hampus Lindholm
ANA - Shea Theodore

ANA already has tons of young right-shot defencemen and may have trouble fitting in a contract for Trouba, not to mention that removal of any of the above three players creates a problem on the left side for ANA.

ARI - Jacob Chychrun

Jacob Chychrun was just drafted and WPG likely wants a player with more certainty as to their future ceiling as a NHL player.

BOS - Jakub Zboril

See note regarding Chychrun.

CAR - Noah Hanifin
CAR - Haydn Fleury

Hanifin is likely not a player CAR would even consider giving up and Fleury may not have the experience WPG wants.

COL - Nikita Zadorov
COL - Chris Bigras

WPG is not likely to want to trade within the division and both Zadorov and Bigras have had the shine wear off a bit as prospects (in particular, a prospect that has already been traded once such as Zadorov is far less appealing in a trade - see Dano, Marko).

CBJ - Ryan Murray
CBJ - Zach Werenski

CBJ would have to cut off its nose to spite its face here, so to speak, and if I were the WPG management Ryan Murray is not a player I particularly want if there are other options. Werenski I imagine would be a non-starter for CBJ given the esteem he is held in by their organization.

EDM - Oscar Klefbom
EDM - Darnell Nurse

Klefbom doesn't make much sense as EDM surely wants to keep hold of their de-facto top-pairing lefty. Nurse would certainly be a more interesting proposition to both teams, especially if EDM is comfortable with Davidson/Reinhart filling the 3LD/7D positions going into the season. EDM has almost the opposite problem of Winnipeg where they have almost too many left shots and not enough right shots.
MIN - Jonas Brodin

This trade is probably not possible within the division and between two teams that likely view one another as being competition for a playoff challenge.

MTL - Nathan Beaulieu
MTL - Mikhail Sergachev

Neither is a realistic option. If MTL trades Beaulieu then they don't have a partner for Weber. If MTL trades Sergachev then they don't have a replacement for Markov. Add in Weber and Petry as MTL's current right-side options and I doubt Trouba falls into any better of a situation than he currently is in in WPG (not that he gets a say unless a team demands the right to talk contract with him prior to pulling the trigger on the trade).

NSH - Mattias Ekholm

There are countless reasons why this deal wouldn't work, but Ekholm is certainly a player WPG should be interested in.

NYI - Nick Leddy

See the note on Ekholm.

OTT - Thomas Chabot

Like others mentioned previously, Chabot may be slightly too green to pique WPG's interest too much.

PHI - Shanye Gostisbehere
PHI - Ivan Provorov
PHI - Robert Hagg
PHI - Samuel Morin
PHI - Travis Sanheim

PHI looks like a good trading partner for WPG here with no fewer than 5 options to pursue. All of PHI's top defence prospects are left-handed so they are potentially facing a log-jam in the future trying to fit all of these names in and WPG could help them out (and move Trouba out of the conference completely). Provorov and Gostisbehere may be a little too much to ask for without WPG adding more but Morin and Sanheim could be good choices as well.

PIT - Olli Maatta
PIT - Derrick Pouliot

These teams would make surprising trading partners and PIT would be hard pressed to make such a deal without sending significant salary back to WPG. PIT is likely loathe to move either player but they may feel that Trouba is more of a sure thing than two players who have had injuries and developmental concerns in the recent past.

TBL - Nikita Nesterov
TBL - Slater Koekkoek

The biggest obstacle here is Tampa Bay's cap issues as they would need to send significant dollars back to even contemplate acquiring Trouba. From WPG's perspective, I doubt these players are as appealing as some of the other names on this list so they may be best to take a pass on taking back a lesser player than Trouba and a cash dump to even the money.

TOR - Morgan Reilly

If TOR didn't hang up the phone laughing immediately after receiving this trade proposal I would be very surprised. Not only is Reilly's stock higher around the league but then Toronto would need to find a top pair LD to fill the gap. Jake Gardiner is not on the list because WPG management is not James Tanner.

VAN - Olli Juolevi

If VAN were able to trade the Sedins and revert to a traditional rebuild model then I would see them holding onto Juolevi but in reality where they are trying to stay competitive for the Sedins they might value the further-developed Trouba more. In any case, I imagine WPG wants someone a little further along on the developmental curve than Juolevi, despite the upside.

In general, the Jets' potential trading partners are other teams with flawed rosters who have excess left-sided defencemen either on the roster or in the system. In general, I don't think the trade request hurts the value that Winnipeg will get for Trouba as young, skilled right-shot defencemen are hard to come by and the
Jets are not under pressure to be contenders this year (so not having Trouba in the lineup while things sort themselves out is not the end of the world - in fact it may create more opportunity for a player like Josh Morrissey to play top 4 minutes).

I always find these statements weird. Of course the Jets are under pressure to be contenders. That's their job, every last one of them,coaches, management and players. The be 'realistic' argument is defeatist to me.

Fascinating seeing an agent go so wildly off the normal course of action (again) for a Trouba-like player...

Less than 2 weeks ago Wicek of the Freep talks with Trouba at length at the WCH pre-tourney games. Discussed, in detail, was right side vs. left side.  Paul thought nothing of it. Why? Well, he often misses the critical part of a story....besides the point. He thought nothing of it because Trouba pretty much made it like it wasn't a big deal. There's some pros there's some cons, but if that's where I'm needed, that's where I play was the gist of it. "Plan to be in Wpg for start of camp?" Absolutely. 

Now a trade request. How he's used given as the primary reason. So cleeearrrrrly something's fishy here. To me it has to be 1 of 2 things, or a combo of the 2.  1) He does want out of Wpg. Saying it publicly is a death blow to your credibility. But given the request happened in May, some FOUR months ago, how could it not have to do with playing here?  Especially given the comments at the world cup.  2) His ego is too big. Is it really about usage?  3rd in ice time last year at 22 yrs old. Maurice already pretty much opened the door for him to start with Buff this season; mins and pts shouldn't have been a problem for #8.  If he was patient, within 2-3 years he'd likely have ascended past Buff anyways.

So what the F happens now?  Personally, if and when we make a deal, I'm holding out hope we can go an acquire a better player. We've got the picks and FW prospects to sweeten a Trouba trade and I hope Chevy finds a way to use his assets.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Fascinating seeing an agent go so wildly off the normal course of action (again) for a Trouba-like player...

Less than 2 weeks ago Wicek of the Freep talks with Trouba at length at the WCH pre-tourney games. Discussed, in detail, was right side vs. left side.  Paul thought nothing of it. Why? Well, he often misses the critical part of a story....besides the point. He thought nothing of it because Trouba pretty much made it like it wasn't a big deal. There's some pros there's some cons, but if that's where I'm needed, that's where I play was the gist of it. "Plan to be in Wpg for start of camp?" Absolutely. 

Now a trade request. How he's used given as the primary reason. So cleeearrrrrly something's fishy here. To me it has to be 1 of 2 things, or a combo of the 2.  1) He does want out of Wpg. Saying it publicly is a death blow to your credibility. But given the request happened in May, some FOUR months ago, how could it not have to do with playing here?  Especially given the comments at the world cup.  2) His ego is too big. Is it really about usage?  3rd in ice time last year at 22 yrs old. Maurice already pretty much opened the door for him to start with Buff this season; mins and pts shouldn't have been a problem for #8.  If he was patient, within 2-3 years he'd likely have ascended past Buff anyways.

So what the F happens now?  Personally, if and when we make a deal, I'm holding out hope we can go an acquire a better player. We've got the picks and FW prospects to sweeten a Trouba trade and I hope Chevy finds a way to use his assets.

It could also be an agent trying to maximize his own commission and perhaps Trouba doesnt think the same as his agent. 

The players' comments are interesting.  Little basically said Trouba was a good guy who was good in the room.  But Perrault's comments were so strong, it makes me wonder if that's entirely true.

Its hard to believe its about money.  The comps are there.  There is little to negotiate in terms of money unless Trouba is nuts. 

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not sure.  But talk is Rasmus might be in a similar situation to Trouba.  Mostly, Trouba and Bogo are best friends and Rasmus is apparently best buddies with Laine.

You'd need to give Buff incentives to go after that deal. Rasmus is unsigned as well, no?  So at least comparable in age and contract status.

So what do the Sabres need?  Extra 2nd or 3rd rounder and a young FW perhaps, a la Dano, Petan, Burmi.  Still not enough in all likelihood. 

This is where's it tough to predict... Does a trade happen where Trouba's the centerpiece, and a team is giving us young D with potential + _____ + _____.   Or can we add to pieces with Trouba and fleece some other poor GM?

Early speculation has us wanting a 1-1 trade with a LHD coming back.  Looking at the list above (great find btw, thanks for sharing) don't see many 1 for 1 options there.

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Worth noting...

I come back to Brendan Lemiuex.  He's not an elite level prospect but he wasnt making outlandish demands in Buffalo...but there was the sense it was time to move on.  He seems perfectly happy in Winnipeg.  If either Ristolainen or Lindholm are feeling its time to move on and their demand isnt outlandish (and really, with comps established, its hard to be outlandish), I could see something there.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Nurse can't even make a bad Oilers defensive line-up. I don't want Nurse here and can't believe anyone thinks this would be an equitable trade for the Jets.

you missed how Nurse played more minutes than any rookie last year? (or he was for a time not sure how it all finished) It's not about Nurse not being able to make the Oilers, it's about the Oilers not wanting Nurse to make the lineup. Let's be honest here too, the only time Nurse had trouble was when everyone got hurt and he had to play top pairing minutes. That was rough on him but before that and after guys got healthy and his minutes dropped he was looking ******* great. I don't want to trade Nurse for Trouba at all because I don't want players with the attitude that Trouba has. Too good for Winnipeg he'd be too good for Edmonton too. 

21 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I was pushing the Trouba/Maatta deal long time now but Trouba would be at best #2 on the RHD. On the other hand Stanley Cup Champs.

Maatta's contract is like Myers though. Too good to trade.

Think we can write off all Canuck teams, just a feeling.

I think unless someone blows Chevy's socks off, he will let Trouba's agent do the heavy lifting in figuring out the best place and offer.  Supposedly the agent tried all summer to get an offer sheet and couldn't. 

Keep in mind too, if the Jets can get a LHD who doesnt need to be protected, that would allow them to protect more forwards.  I wonder if they'd take a lesser player and apply value to his expansion draft eligibility.  I guess that would have to be a 1st/2nd year player. 

16 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I was pushing the Trouba/Maatta deal long time now but Trouba would be at best #2 on the RHD. On the other hand Stanley Cup Champs.

Maatta's contract is like Myers though. Too good to trade.

Think we can write off all Canuck teams, just a feeling.

I don't know what to think of Maata. He's kind of had the same career arc as Trouba in that he looked great as a rookie, but has regressed a little bit since. He was actually a healthy scratch at one point last season. He's also becoming a health concern.

I still think he can be very good though if he can sort his health/injury issues.

So Mr. Trouba wants out of the Peg.....What///he doesn't like it here??.....Money????Grant him his wish if he doesn't want to be part of the Jets future...Helluva talent but you gotta want to be here firstly...Too bad I really liked the guy ..I do know one thing we aren't going to make a deal for another lesser defenceman..So get those phones ringing Chevy...We can see the first preseason opener on the horizon..