Similarities to 5-1 Start in 2014

Alright, don't get me wrong I'm just as elated as anyone else here about the Bombers recent win streak and I certainly hope it continues. That said, if you take a look at the current standings as of today (Note: Calgary/Hamilton haven't played their Week 10 game yet):

East
Ottawa 4-4
Hamilton 4-4
Toronto 4-4
Montreal 3-6

West
Calgary 6-1
BC 6-3
Winnipeg 5-4
Edmonton 5-4
Saskatchewan 1-8

Our current 4-game winning streak was with wins against EDM, HAM, TOR and MON - 3 of the 4 of which are under .500. Also, 2 of our 5 wins so far this year came against a Masoli-led Hamilton squad. Is anyone else concerned this current run might be just smoke and mirrors, like the start of the 2014 season that saw the Bombers start out 5-1 against weaker opponents?

Need I say that the teams we beat are .500 or less because we beat them? Or that we don't show a victory against Saskatchewan like other teams do? Or that other teams have played the same teams we beat...and lost? Or how come it doesn't matter that the other beat us when we played with one arm tied behind our back? 

I'm happy where the team is, because this team put themselves where they are. Each team we played had the same chance to beat us as we did them. After all, weren't they playing a team with their back up QB in the game?

Smoke and mirrors? Nah, I don't smoke and I walk quickly past mirrors...

Edited by Mr Dee

2 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Your name is???

false advertising! lol

To be fair, ham was a power house of a team with much hype going into the season. They are .500 thanks to us. Its not like we are going into all these games with them being sask esq. The league has a ton of parity this year. as shown by the standings and records. 

ott (with out hank at qb) bc and calgary are the class of the league. Calgary will have a real hard time keeping up that hot start. Some might argue ott is in the middle tier, but imop they are at the bottom of that top 3, and my favorites to win the east. 

Sask is toast extra burnt. mtl has a ton of talent but is a couple losses away from being cellar dwellers too. Thats the fairly clear bottom.

ham, to, edm, and the blue are in the middle. We are all fairly even. We have a leg up on to and ham. edm has a leg up on us. One of our tier is probably gonna be the 3rd team to miss the play offs. And it could be a dog fight to the end of the season. We are in a position roughly to fight for a home play off game in the semi. And thats about right for our record and the strength of the teams we've played. 

This team reminds me a lot of the 2000-2001 team. I dont expect the win streak to go that long, but I dont expect us to win 7 games either. Win streak, re emergence of the franchise, finding a bunch of new guys that are big time players, and a roster finally gelling into a team. 

One fan starts a thread claiming we have the beginning of a defensive dynasty. Others say we're winning with smoke & mirrors. Even when we win the fans here fight. I guess that's what losing for so long & so badly will do. We want to believe. We want to think it's real. We want to win. is it? Isn't it? And then the alarm goes off at 6 am.

49 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

One fan starts a thread claiming we have the beginning of a defensive dynasty. Others say we're winning with smoke & mirrors. Even when we win the fans here fight. I guess that's what losing for so long & so badly will do. We want to believe. We want to think it's real. We want to win. is it? Isn't it? And then the alarm goes off at 6 am.

That's about it. We've too bad for too long for the fan version of PTSD to just shake off.

3 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Our current 4-game winning streak was with wins against EDM, HAM, TOR and MON - 3 of the 4 of which are under .500. Also, 2 of our 5 wins so far this year came against a Masoli-led Hamilton squad. Is anyone else concerned this current run might be just smoke and mirrors, like the start of the 2014 season that saw the Bombers start out 5-1 against weaker opponents?

Records of the teams when we played them were:

1. MTL - 0-0

2. CGY - 0-1

3. HAM - 1-1

4. EDM - 1-1 

5. CGY - 1-1-1

6. EDM - 2-2

7. HAM - 3-2

8. TOR - 4-2

10. MON - 3-5

These records above weren't bad besides MTL the last week.  

6 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Actually it reminds me of the beginning of the 2011 season. We're winning because of turnovers and great defense. It will be interesting to see what happens when we don't win the turnover battle by 4 or 5.

We won the games because we scored more than the other team when the time ticks down to 00:00.

I find it interesting that no one brings up the games BC played vs Gale or that Calgary played vs Sask in general when referencing how dominant these teams are. Yeah we have run into backup quarterbacks but I present the counter point:

Kilgore beat Ottawa (a team many had as a East division front runner) before we caved his face in.

Masoli has a record of 3-1 vs teams not called Winnipeg (including wins against a Ray led Toronto and Reilly in Edmonton)

We have also beaten Reilly and Glenn on our streak, both starting QBs for their respective teams.

You can only play who's in front of you and give full marks to the Bombers for taking advantage.