Bomber Practice Updates

Floyd

I would think the D this week will look like this. 

DL - Westerman*, Shologan*, Cummings, Hubbard - Corney, Thomas & Cole

LB - Wild, Bass, Leggett - Burnett, Briggs, Hurl, Waggoner 

DB - Roberts, Fogg, Loffler*, Johnson, Frederick - Jones, Morgan

I can also see Johnson at SAM, Jones at CB and Leggett at Safety 

Johnson at SAM is intriguing since I think hes more physical and hit harder than Leggett.

They might put extra DB - Hawkins or the new guy Greenwood - (instead of Cole) as DI

but Jones &  Morgan showed that they can hold the fort if needed

I dont think they need to shuffle the LB corp unless, they think Knox is better in there than Burnett 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

15 hours ago, Floyd said:

As Wylie said, he's excited about the 'best crop' of import OL he's seen...  we're very close to starting 4 import OL...

If Burnett and Hawkins can't crack the starting lineup with all these injuries, they should not be here.

I'd seriously look at the ol' Teague Sherman defence... where you just send SAM every play and leave Leggett to cover for him.

Anyone think Waggoner has the speed to do that?

Roberts-Fogg-Leggett/Loffler-Johnson-Jones

Wild-Bass-Waggoner/Leggett

To me, that's the least damaging lineup...

I don't understand this comment. The positions Burnett backs up are healthy. He literally backs up two spots on our defense and both of them are healthy. What are you getting at?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I don't understand this comment. The positions Burnett backs up are healthy. He literally backs up two spots on our defense and both of them are healthy. What are you getting at?

He's close to a Lin-J Shell-type...  in an absolute desperation situation, such as this one, he should be able to serve as SAM or Safety.  

We also have a first round pick that should be getting reps at WIL...  or SAM?

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

He's close to a Lin-J Shell-type...  in an absolute desperation situation, such as this one, he should be able to serve as SAM or Safety.  

We also have a first round pick that should be getting reps at WIL...  or SAM?

... but we have Loffler and Leggett.

Still no idea what you're getting at. Our needs right now are at corner and half, not safety or SAM.

48 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

How can they not find decent Import Olinemen?  The US is filled with tall fat guys.

You know the thread about the old timey players no one talks about has names like Bobo in there, just a giant fat guy but man could he move people out of the way and little Charlie Roberts would just pop out from behind him. Benedict Ibisi came in to play centre when they couldn't find any Canadians who could do it too. I just don't understand why it's so hard for them to bring in some americans who can win the battle at the line of scrimmage. 

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

How can they not find decent Import Olinemen?  The US is filled with tall fat guys.

If that was the criteria half the forum members here could start. lol

Tall fat guys have to be able to move their feet.

10 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

If that was the criteria half the forum members here could start. lol

Tall fat guys have to be able to move their feet.

Well it was partially a joke. I meant more like what 17 said. There are tons of big olinemen cast offs from the NFL, NCAA, etc...  Why is it so hard for us to get a couple of decent ones?  

1 hour ago, Mike said:

... but we have Loffler and Leggett.

Still no idea what you're getting at. Our needs right now are at corner and half, not safety or SAM.

Well that definitely backs up my point with Hawkins... and the other DB no our PR.

If plans actually are to move Bruce Johnson to SAM... then I question why Burnett would not be the first choice and if he's only a backup to Wild and Waggoner, then why is he here.

I'm not calling for his head just want to see the best and most versatile backups on the roster...

11 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Well that definitely backs up my point with Hawkins... and the other DB no our PR.

If plans actually are to move Bruce Johnson to SAM... then I question why Burnett would not be the first choice and if he's only a backup to Wild and Waggoner, then why is he here.

I'm not calling for his head just want to see the best and most versatile backups on the roster...

SAM is a defensive back position not a linebacker position. Once we accept that we can all stop making silly things about asking linebackers to play defensive back positions. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

SAM is a defensive back position not a linebacker position. Once we accept that we can all stop making silly things about asking linebackers to play defensive back positions. 

Yes, everyone knows this (but traditional LB positions are changing fast)...  

My entire post was about using the SAM position as a hybrid like Etch did with Teague Sherman  - basically sending your SAM on a blitz on most plays to make up for their lack of coverage skills.  Burnett is a smallish speedy LB - a Lin-J Shell type.  No reason he can't play SAM in a pinch. 

Anyway, Leggett is back at practice so seems to be a moot point...

23 minutes ago, Floyd said:

My entire post was about using the SAM position as a hybrid like Etch did with Teague Sherman  - basically sending your SAM on a blitz on most plays to make up for their lack of coverage skills.  Burnett is a smallish speedy LB - a Lin-J Shell type.  No reason he can't play SAM in a pinch. 

Just a little suggestion for you - using Etchevery as a model for doing things will not end well, on the field or on these forums.  There's a reason that he was unemployed before we picked him up off the heap and it's the same reason that CFL teams aren't banging on his door now.

33 minutes ago, Floyd said:

He's 6'1", 215 pounds ... I don't get the argument, especially if it's just "he is the right size" as if that's suddenly more important than basically everything else.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

It's about time they started showing some emotion... now to do it during a game.

Bombers damned well better start feeling the heat. If/when a new regime is installed a lot of the current crew will be packing.

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

He's 6'1", 215 pounds ... I don't get the argument, especially if it's just "he is the right size" as if that's suddenly more important than basically everything else.

I see you're trolling today.  Sure why not.

Burnett looks fast to me, I think he's fast enough to cover.  You don't have to agree.

Brandon Isaac is 6'3 200lbs, LIn-J Shell 5'11 200lbs, Pruneau 6' 200lbs, Burnett is 6'1 210...  these are 'smallish' LBs that can play SAM.

I don't see your argument now...   just seems like you've grabbed on to a fairly meaningless aspect of one of my posts and, well, here we are.

My only point is: if we're using a DI, then make sure that guy can fill in anywhere...  like Macho Harris for instance, great backup/ST signing...

That being said, very excited for Loffler to get a shot.  Lots of pressure though.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

if being fast was the only requirement to cover guys then let's scout the 100m dash at the Rio Olympics for our next db....

This is actually the definition of trolling... creating an argument over a claim that only ever appears in your own head.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I see you're trolling today.  Sure why not.

Burnett looks fast to me, I think he's fast enough to cover.  You don't have to agree.

Brandon Isaac is 6'3 200lbs, LIn-J Shell 5'11 200lbs, Pruneau 6' 200lbs, Burnett is 6'1 210...  these are 'smallish' LBs that can play SAM.

I don't see your argument now...   just seems like you've grabbed on to a fairly meaningless aspect of one of my posts and, well, here we are.

My only point is: if we're using a DI, then make sure that guy can fill in anywhere...  like Macho Harris for instance, great backup/ST signing...

That being said, very excited for Loffler to get a shot.  Lots of pressure though.

How am I trolling? I've held the same belief for a very long time -- Burnett is not a SAM linebacker. Or a DB. BC didn't think he was. We don't think he is. It seems like the professionals are on the same side of the argument that I am.

Nobody has been able to suggest anything that has led me to believe otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

How am I trolling? I've held the same belief for a very long time -- Burnett is not a SAM linebacker. Or a DB. BC didn't think he was. We don't think he is. It seems like the professionals are on the same side of the argument that I am.

Nobody has been able to suggest anything that has led me to believe otherwise.

I guess we agree in a way.

I'm not really suggesting he is either... it was surprising that we did not have an import backup when 3 DBs went down or that the coaches did not have confidence to move Leggett back to S and Burnett to SAM in a desperate situation...  

If Waggoner is the heir apparent at WIL, I'm just saying that I don't see a place for Burnett on the roster if he doesn't fill any other needs.

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I guess we agree in a way.

I'm not really suggesting he is either... it was surprising that we did not have an import backup when 3 DBs went down or that the coaches did not have confidence to move Leggett back to S and Burnett to SAM in a desperate situation...  

If Waggoner is the heir apparent at WIL, I'm just saying that I don't see a place for Burnett on the roster if he doesn't fill any other needs.

To me, his need is that he's an excellent special teams with the versatility to backup multiple positions. I've always held the belief that your roster backups don't always NEED starter potential. For example, Burnett would be a great backup in-game if Bass were to get hurt, but obviously Knox would likely start if the injury kept Bass out of more than just the one game.

I think the reason we don't have an import backup for DB is because we have so many serviceable Canadian backups. Morgan, Loffler and Jones are all major assets for the club.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

This is actually the definition of trolling... creating an argument over a claim that only ever appears in your own head.

You are the one who said the guy looks fast as if it had any meaning what so ever about his ability to be a defensive back. Lots of guys on a football team are fast, not all of them can cover. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

To me, his need is that he's an excellent special teams with the versatility to backup multiple positions. I've always held the belief that your roster backups don't always NEED starter potential. For example, Burnett would be a great backup in-game if Bass were to get hurt, but obviously Knox would likely start if the injury kept Bass out of more than just the one game.

I think the reason we don't have an import backup for DB is because we have so many serviceable Canadian backups. Morgan, Loffler and Jones are all major assets for the club.

This doesn't make sense... why wouldn't Waggoner be the in-game backup if Bass gets hurt?  You're fine with playing Morgan and Loffler but not Waggoner?  Waggoner is playing better on ST right now than Burnett...

All I'm saying is that if you're using a DI in your backfield, he better be ready to step in at any position... otherwise, carry an extra OL on the roster.

Here's a good example... let's say you re-sign Demond Washington cheap instead of letting him walk...  there you have WIL, SAM, HB, CB... not quite good enough to start but a very solid in-game replacement...

Edited by Floyd

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

You are the one who said the guy looks fast as if it had any meaning what so ever about his ability to be a defensive back. Lots of guys on a football team are fast, not all of them can cover. 

If you want to sign slow linebackers, that's totally at your discretion.