Odds and Sods - Game 2 - Bombers at Stamps

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

no. Willy has been hit and rushed far more this year then ever before. He was hit double digit times in the first game alone.

You are making the claim so back it up with stats.  Show me how many times he was hit and hurried compared to last year.  I eagerly await the numbers.

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

no. Willy has been hit and rushed far more this year then ever before. He was hit double digit times in the first game alone.

And a good deal of those hits, first game and last, were on him and his indecision. If the opposing D-line knows that he cannot improvise if his first read is not there, they will throw caution to the winds and go right after him.

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He has poor situational awareness, also known as pocket presence. Which, for a straight drop-back passer is a recipe for injury. Strange they don't give him a half-roll or different launch points to throw from. That would take some pressure off the O-line. The O-line has not looked too bad though, IMHO.

Just now, blueandgoldguy said:

I believe it was a comment in the Free Press or a tweet from him.  He flat out has the worst protection in the CFL, huh?  Did it ever occur to you that Willy may force more cover 0, cover 1 situations than any other QB because he is incapable to looking past his first, and often, check-down option that results in a 2 and out.  Teams will not change their tactics with Willy until he is capable of recognizing  and completing a pass to a receiver that is open and capable of gaining more than ten yards on a consistent basis. 

Lets see a link.

Calgary cut through our line with only 1 stunts. Mtl cut through with 3 man rushes at times. Is it willys fault harris gets no holes or help from the line either? When your getting 2.5 and less seconds and no established pocket you dont have time for progressions. That said if he was locked in on one guy, we wouldnt have virtually every wr catching a pass. Hot routes focus on your best players. You dont just throw out a play for every wr rotating every down. The only passes he's been missing is medium long to long. With rushers in his face and the pocket collapsing. 

1 minute ago, Doublezero said:

He has poor situational awareness, also known as pocket presence. Which, for a straight drop-back passer is a recipe for injury. Strange they don't give him a half-roll or different launch points to throw from. That would take some pressure off the O-line. The O-line has not looked too bad though, IMHO.

The Bomber O-line wasn't great but better than last year. And Willy made them look worse than they were.

Just now, Doublezero said:

Situational awareness is not the same thing as pocket presence. Pocket presence is the ability to step up in the pocket, feel the pressure, go through your read progression. Situational awareness is the ability to manage game clock, read pre snap and post snap D and spot tenancies. The line has looked awful. Do you know what to look for? do you have any idea how long it takes for a play to develop? or the plays we run to develop?

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Better then / worse then isnt the same as production. hes better then glenn, masoli, jennings, durant and collaros. But then ricky ray doenst look like the ray of old. And BLM isnt any thing to write home about.  none of these guys can stay healthy / consistent. Most havent proved any thing but a brief flash. Willy has done more with dramatically less. BLM and glenn are only looking ok this year because theyve played against our D. 

And with this nonsense, I now know not to take anything you post seriously.  Thanks for that.  I won't waste my time when someone makes asinine comments like Willy is better than Collaros....MVP last season before his injury, not to mention most, if not all, the others.

4 minutes ago, tracker said:

And a good deal of those hits, first game and last, were on him and his indecision. If the opposing D-line knows that he cannot improvise if his first read is not there, they will throw caution to the winds and go right after him.

No it isnt. If he was being indecisive and holding the ball too long youd soo low completion percents, double clutch and pumps, re reading and re checking both sides. No time for any of that. Hes been getting rocked 2.5 seconds and faster post snap. How much of a play do you think has developed in that time?

I think Willy is very athletic.

There was a game last season, where he basically carried the team to a win, by himself. and part of it were some really nice runs, remember he  deked a tackler out, and got a first down? and he took the usual pounding in that game.

after the game media was expressing surprise at his athleticism, he was a bit annoyed by that. Mentioned being a state basketball all star.

and I don't agree that Willy is no good... 2015 season....

"Blue Bombers quarterback Drew Willy has been named the No. 1 CFL player of the week

The 28-year-old QB used his arm - and legs to lead the Bombers to a 23-13 win Thursday night against the BC Lions

Willy, who was injured the week prior and was questionable as to whether he would even suit up against the Lions, threw for 269 yards and two touchdowns in completing 17 of 25 pass attempts. He also led the team in rushing, carrying the ball five times for 72 yards.

It's the second weekly nod for Willy this season. His first came in Week 1 after a 30-26 win over the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

I think he's a victim of being on a crap team that doesn't know what it's doing. No quarterback would want to come here.... quarterback graveyard. Right back to Kahari.

Mtl cut through with 3 man rushes at times.

I watched the game a second time. I saw exactly that. I was wondering why people kept saying "blitz happy allouettes"

Edited by Mark F
willy

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Situational awareness is not the same thing as pocket presence. Pocket presence is the ability to step up in the pocket, feel the pressure, go through your read progression. Situational awareness is the ability to manage game clock, read pre snap and post snap D and spot tenancies. The line has looked awful. Do you know what to look for? do you have any idea how long it takes for a play to develop? or the plays we run to develop?

I know that the game sure looks easy from the armchair but once you get down there on that field everything happens very fast. The best players are able to slow down the game and process the information.

Ray looked better this week than Willy has in either game. Glenn has looked better in both weeks. Durant looked better in his first game after a year off. Willy has been the worse starting QB this young season. Just because he pulls a Kerwin Bell and piles up stats in the 4th quarter after we're down by a minimum of two tds doesn't mean he's played well. If you think he's been better than any QB this year, you're kidding yourself. Glenn, Durant, Collaros, Ray, Mitchell, Reiley, Burris and Harris have done proven nothing but a brief flash? Massoli is a back up and he's played better overall than Drew.

Willy has a running back that's a proven all-star, a young receiver coming off a near 1000 yard season, achieved in a year he played with a QB who is out of the league for over half the season (Smith), a guy who had almost 900 yards last year (Adams) and a dependable NI in Kolhert. He has dramtically less? When is any of this his fault?

1 minute ago, blueandgoldguy said:

And with this nonsense, I now know not to take anything you post seriously.  Thanks for that.  I won't waste my time when someone makes asinine comments like Willy is better than Collaros....MVP last season before his injury, not to mention most, if not all, the others.

its 100% true. Production does not mean one qb is better or worse then the other. Right now willy is 2nd in the league in passing. But our off passing or other wise is worst in the league. Collaros was good last year. Not mvp good. Collaros has only dressed for 18 games once, and that was with being the back up at the start of 2013. Him and glenn are higher quality players, who cant stay healthy to save their life. Ability to be on the field is a major limiting factor. 2 guys you cant rely on as starters. 

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

I know that the game sure looks easy from the armchair but once you get down there on that field everything happens very fast. The best players are able to slow down the game and process the information.

Have you ever played qb? ever been to a qb camp or run an offense at any level? The best players, have great players around them. And work as a unit. Go look at good passing games this year by any qb watch the time they get and compare. 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Better then / worse then isnt the same as production. hes better then glenn, masoli, jennings, durant and collaros. But then ricky ray doenst look like the ray of old. And BLM isnt any thing to write home about.  none of these guys can stay healthy / consistent. Most havent proved any thing but a brief flash. Willy has done more with dramatically less. BLM and glenn are only looking ok this year because theyve played against our D. 

Willy is better than Glenn, Durant, and Collaros??? What are you smoking bro??

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

Willy is better than Glenn, Durant, and Collaros??? What are you smoking bro??

3 guys who are all ice tub team. Some success with very good teams around them and still cant stay on the field. The only thing you can rely on them for is to not be healthy or ready when it counts. 

17 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

You are making the claim so back it up with stats.  Show me how many times he was hit and hurried compared to last year.  I eagerly await the numbers.

contacted 12 times in the first game career high. nuff said. 

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Collaros was on pace for a 5000+ yard passing season with 38 tds versus 12 ints when he got hurt last season. His team was 8-4. If healthy, his team likely doesn't go 2-4 down the stretch and wins the East. That doesn't win him the MOP?

and willy is on track for about 6000 yards 30/9 at risk of helming the worst offense in recent blue history. stats dont make mops. Steady team leading best in the league play for a year does.

26 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

This post tells me all I need to know about you.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

This post tells me all I need to know about you.

thats nice. And what does willys 6k/30/9 stat line get us? 0-18? production can come from system, circumstance, support etc. And what does an injury prone qb get you? The same thing dunigan, and buck got us. Hall of tub fame doesnt win games or make you a contender.  

20 hours ago, Westy Sucks said:

Not alone at all.  I was absolutely shocked when Oshea called that fake fg on 3rd and freaking 10.  We have Justin Medlock for a reason don't we?  That just killed any confidence/momentum we would have had.  It was all downhill from there.  We have to get it together somehow and put on a good showing in Hammy next week or i fear the stadium attendance will plummet to the low 20k range.

Our home opener only had 26,400!  For our home opener!  Crazy low.  It's going to get worse if the on field play doesn't improve and fast.

They left 6 points on the field in the first half against Calgary and left at least that in the second half against Montreal. That's pretty disheartening for a player to see his own HC inadvertently helping the opponent, doesn't exactly instill confidence to follow the guy into battle.  

57 minutes ago, pigseye said:

They left 6 points on the field in the first half against Calgary and left at least that in the second half against Montreal. That's pretty disheartening for a player to see his own HC inadvertently helping the opponent, doesn't exactly instill confidence to follow the guy into battle.  

O'Shea needs 4-5 years study behind a mentor like Hufnagel, Austin, or Buono before he'll become a good HC. Who is he going to learn from here, Lapo?