Odds and Sods - Game 2 - Bombers at Stamps

Blue have nice first drive....but fail on fake FG

....followed up by missed passes, drops, missed blocks..

...and naturally, two and outs....

Macho blocks punt to open 2nd quarter...

.....Posey takes it to the 5...... Nichols punches it in...

Bombers score first TD of a game......light at end of tunnel - 7-3

Bo Levi Mitchell 18 yd run...on a 3rd and 1... sets up field goal...

Next Stamp possession....very easy 70 yd TD drive......

Stamps get ball back..... another BLM TD pass....

17 Calgary points on 3 straight possessions...

Soft coverage, in back and missed tackles everywhere......

The Bomber O?....2 and out...wash, rinse, repeat...

Blue finally get it going near end of half..........

....but somehow run off 12 seconds on final play of half.....

....to deny Medlock a long FG attempt....

Incompetence dies hard.....as Stamps up 20-7

TOP was  20:39 to 9:21... and not for us..

The Stampeders horse left less crap on field, than Blue....

Hey, but there is always the 2nd half, right?

Stamps take ball...with opening drive for FG.....

...followed with 70 yd TD drive...

...while Bomber D put on a tackling clinic....

...as in how just not to do it....

ANOTHER  Stamp TD drive...36-7 at end of 3rd Q.

33 unanswered points from Calgary..

But there is still good ole garbage time

...which is now.... the new Bomber specialty.

Sure enough....82 yd drive..

...Adams with TD catch.

Willy follows up with another drive...

....and TD pass to Jace Davis...now 36-22

Willy actually ends up near 300 yds with 2 TD's...

Most of it... in another 10 minutes of big time football..

Once we figure out that other 50 minutes...

...we are golden...

..but right now...fans are simply blue

Control the ball?

Harris 8 yds rushing.... Messam 138 yds

Defense?....Stamps ....500 yds on O.

Clock management?  Lets not go there...

Bombers have now lost 13 of last 14 in Calgary....

Let the (usual) excuses fly....

...and the gin flow....

44 minutes ago, do or die said:

Blue have nice first drive....but fail on fake FG

....followed up by missed passes, drops, missed blocks..

...and naturally, two and outs....

Macho blocks punt to open 2nd quarter...

.....Posey takes it to the 5...... Nichols punches it in...

Bombers score first TD of a game......light at end of tunnel - 7-3

Bo Levi Mitchell 18 yd run...on a 3rd and 1... sets up field goal...

Next Stamp possession....very easy 70 yd TD drive......

Stamps get ball back..... another BLM TD pass....

17 Calgary points on 3 straight possessions...

Soft coverage, in back and missed tackles everywhere......

The Bomber O?....2 and out...wash, rinse, repeat...

Blue finally get it going near end of half..........

....but somehow run off 12 seconds on final play of half.....

....to deny Medlock a long FG attempt....

Incompetence dies hard.....as Stamps up 20-7

TOP was  20:39 to 9:21... and not for us..

The Stampeders horse left less crap on field, than Blue....

Hey, but there is always the 2nd half, right?

Stamps take ball...with opening drive for FG.....

...followed with 70 yd TD drive...

...while Bomber D put on a tackling clinic....

...as in how just not to do it....

ANOTHER  Stamp TD drive...36-7 at end of 3rd Q.

33 unanswered points from Calgary..

But there is still good ole garbage time

...which is now.... the new Bomber specialty.

Sure enough....82 yd drive..

...Adams with TD catch.

Willy follows up with another drive...

....and TD pass to Jace Davis...now 36-22

Willy actually ends up near 300 yds with 2 TD's...

Most of it... in another 10 minutes of big time football..

Once we figure out that other 50 minutes...

...we are golden...

..but right now...fans are simply blue

Control the ball?

Harris 8 yds rushing.... Messam 138 yds

Defense?....Stamps ....500 yds on O.

Clock management?  Lets not go there...

Bombers have now lost 13 of last 14 in Calgary....

Let the (usual) excuses fly....

...and the gin flow....

Actually 358 yards. Not nearly 300. Its sickening. 

The loss was terrible but after promising the fans a good team, keeping butts in the seats might be the greater concern. We have been given a terrible front end in the schedule and coming out of it with a decent record could be a challenge right now. I read the prologue of a book we have been given before and it sounded familiar. I don't know or can't speculate about the solution but I do have a pretty good idea how the book ends.

I really, really hope that those who command and those who make it happen get it right soon. You owe it to your fans. So, have yourselves a hefty serving of roasted cats. One of the few times you're allowed to kick a cat and have us enjoy it.

I'm little more than a layman when it comes to football so my observations likely mean nothing. 

Why does it seem so easy for the other team?  Easy to rush. Easy to throw. Always a receiver open. But when the Bombers are on O it's like we're playing the best team of all time all the time. 

Willy seems shell shocked. Nervous. Holding the ball. Giving up on targets and looking to dump to anyone within five years. When the pressure was less (both literally and figuratively) he played a lot better. 

Announcefs talking about body language and team not being enthusiastic and feeling out of it so early. Isn't this on the coaches to inspire?  

I'm not off the bandwagon yet. Lots of new faces. New O etc. It will take time. The D is a concern though. I thought we were supposed to have a really good D...?

26 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'm little more than a layman when it comes to football so my observations likely mean nothing. 

Why does it seem so easy for the other team?  Easy to rush. Easy to throw. Always a receiver open. But when the Bombers are on O it's like we're playing the best team of all time all the time. 

Willy seems shell shocked. Nervous. Holding the ball. Giving up on targets and looking to dump to anyone within five years. When the pressure was less (both literally and figuratively) he played a lot better. 

Announcefs talking about body language and team not being enthusiastic and feeling out of it so early. Isn't this on the coaches to inspire?  

I'm not off the bandwagon yet. Lots of new faces. New O etc. It will take time. The D is a concern though. I thought we were supposed to have a really good D...?

You aren't alone.

Not alone at all.  I was absolutely shocked when Oshea called that fake fg on 3rd and freaking 10.  We have Justin Medlock for a reason don't we?  That just killed any confidence/momentum we would have had.  It was all downhill from there.  We have to get it together somehow and put on a good showing in Hammy next week or i fear the stadium attendance will plummet to the low 20k range.

Our home opener only had 26,400!  For our home opener!  Crazy low.  It's going to get worse if the on field play doesn't improve and fast.

Am I & other Bomber fans supposed to be impressed with Willy's 226 yard passing performance in the 4th quarter last night? This is how Willy plays football. He gets his stats when the game is over & then MOS will trot out to the media & says some thing stupid like it gives the Bombers some positives to build on. Just shake my head when it comes to this team. The leadership out of the quarterback position is pathetic. You can see the guys on offense don't believe in Willy & they play like it when it counts. Nothing is going to change there are as long as Drew is the starter.

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

Am I & other Bomber fans supposed to be impressed with Willy's 226 yard passing performance in the 4th quarter last night? This is how Willy plays football. He gets his stats when the game is over & then MOS will trot out to the media & says some thing stupid like it gives the Bombers some positives to build on. Just shake my head when it comes to this team. The leadership out of the quarterback position is pathetic. You can see the guys on offense don't believe in Willy & they play like it when it counts. Nothing is going to change there are as long as Drew is the starter.

He does well, because the other team rushes 3 he has time and we run the hurry up offense. Look back to guys like tee martin and our awful post glenn qbs. how many of them were able to even beat prevent? If we get willy time he will be fine. If we run the hurry up itll help. No one on this team believes in any one. Thats not on willy. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

He does well, because the other team rushes 3 he has time and we run the hurry up offense. Look back to guys like tee martin and our awful post glenn qbs. how many of them were able to even beat prevent? If we get willy time he will be fine. If we run the hurry up itll help. No one on this team believes in any one. Thats not on willy. 

It's totally on Willy. Where do you think the leadership on the team starts? He can't handle anything on the field when it counts. Teams won't play a 3 man front on him. They'll come after him & he'll wilt. No one believes in anyone because we have no qb to believe in.

Just now, iso_55 said:

It's totally on Willy. Where do you think the leadership on the team starts? He can't handle anything on the field when it counts. Teams won't play a 3 man front on him. They'll come after him & he'll wilt. No one believes in anyone because we have no qb to believe in.

it starts at the HC. not at the qb. Its not willys fault the D misses tackles in the first half. Its not his fault the coverage is soo deep its like the expect the wr to kick. Its not willys fault the ol cant block for run or pass. 

no duh. The OL has to give time, and has to create holes for harris. 

What really bothered me, beyond Willy's inconsistencies......was how many facets of this team, just didn't do a job, out there.   Run blocking was abysmal, blitz pickup is a sometimes thing.....along the with soft coverage and weak tackling on D.   Our vaunted DL has 1 sack in 2 games.  Only halfway competent area, right now is special teams......

Overall, we look soft, disinterested, and not real coached up.   Not seeing a lot of fire and purpose out there.

When the game is actually on the line (first 45 minutes, in both games)....we are simply dictated to, and dominated...on both sides of the ball.   As far as this "preparation is fine" stuff from MOS.....the simply dreadful starts, suggest otherwise.  

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Lawless brought this up in the preseason.  He stated word from the locker room is that some or most of the players were losing confidence in Willy.  That would appear to be accurate up to this point.  Time is running out for Willy - he needs to step it up soon, but I'm not sure if he is capable of it.

Let's face it, he was the third choice of the Qbs available in 2014 and he is, by far, the third best of that group.  After a solid start in 2014, Willy was middling and inconsistent for the remainder of the year throwing more INTs than TDs boosting his passer rating and completion percentage with short, low-risk passes.  Particularly painful was the Banjo Bowl in which the Bomber had a late lead and Willy had one of the biggest brain farts of all-time throwing a high risk pass to the far sidelines only to have it intercepted and returned for a TD.  Game over and as it turned out, season over.  That game played the biggest role in the Bombers not making the playoffs that year.

Fast forward to 2015, and we continue to see mostly inconsistent Willy with 3 or 4 extremely poor games from him (as proven in detail by another poster in a different thread).  No progression in his game, in fact, there might be some regression.  Passing stats once again boosted by short, high percentage passes which result in several 2 and outs.  

We are seeing more of the same from Willy this year unfortunately.  Unable to nail long or intermediate passes, incapable of managing the clock, unable to maintain composure and look for more than one option on the field despite an improved o-line and less hurried compared to last year.  He has this season to prove himself but time is running out for Willy.

Meanwhile Burris was MOP last year and led his team to the Grey Cup while Collaros has had 2 excellent seasons in Hamilton that were both cut short by injury.  In particular, last year, in which he led the league with 25 TDs in 12 games and was the clear frontrunner for MOP before an injury ended his season.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

it starts at the HC. not at the qb. Its not willys fault the D misses tackles in the first half. Its not his fault the coverage is soo deep its like the expect the wr to kick. Its not willys fault the ol cant block for run or pass. 

no duh. The OL has to give time, and has to create holes for harris. 

Willy has been hurried much less than last season up to this point.  Teams will continue to send the house on a consistent basis until Willy forces them to back off by completing more than a 4-yard pass.  He has thrown the ball poorly for the most part whenever he attempts to throw for more than 10 yards.

Of course, there are other elements of the team that are to blame as well, but Willy has to and should shoulder a large part of the responsibility...such as not completing a play before time expired at the end of the first half when there was 12 seconds left.

1 hour ago, do or die said:

What really bothered me, beyond Willy's inconsistencies......was how many facets of this team, just didn't do a job, out there.   Run blocking was abysmal, blitz pickup is a sometimes thing.....along the with soft coverage and weak tackling on D.   Our vaunted DL has 1 sack in 2 games.  Only halfway competent area, right now is special teams......

Overall, we look soft, disinterested, and not real coached up.   Not seeing a lot of fire and purpose out there.

When the game is actually on the line (first 45 minutes, in both games)....we are simply dictated to, and dominated...on both sides of the ball.   As far as this "preparation is fine" stuff from MOS.....the simply dreadful starts, suggest otherwise.  

Hard to believe the general consensus around here going into the season was that the players would go all-out for a coach like O'Shea.  I see no evidence of that.

9 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Lawless brought this up in the preseason.  He stated word from the locker room is that some or most of the players were losing confidence in Willy.  That would appear to be accurate up to this point.  Time is running out for Willy - he needs to step it up soon, but I'm not sure if he is capable of it.

Let's face it, he was the third choice of the Qbs available in 2014 and he is, by far, the third best of that group.  After a solid start in 2014, Willy was middling and inconsistent for the remainder of the year throwing more INTs than TDs boosting his passer rating and completion percentage with short, low-risk passes.  Particularly painful was the Banjo Bowl in which the Bomber had a late lead and Willy had one of the biggest brain farts of all-time throwing a high risk pass to the far sidelines only to have it intercepted and returned for a TD.  Game over and as it turned out, season over.  That game played the biggest role in the Bombers not making the playoffs that year.

Fast forward to 2015, and we continue to see mostly inconsistent Willy with 3 or 4 extremely poor games from him (as proven in detail by another poster in a different thread).  No progression in his game, in fact, there might be some regression.  Passing stats once again boosted by short, high percentage passes which result in several 2 and outs.  

We are seeing more of the same from Willy this year unfortunately.  Unable to nail long or intermediate passes, incapable of managing the clock, unable to maintain composure and look for more than one option on the field despite an improved o-line and less hurried compared to last year.  He has this season to prove himself but time is running out for Willy.

Meanwhile Burris was MOP last year and led his team to the Grey Cup while Collaros has had 2 excellent seasons in Hamilton that were both cut short by injury.  In particular, last year, in which he led the league with 25 TDs in 12 games and was the clear frontrunner for MOP before an injury ended his season.

Never heard any thing of the like from lawless. 

2 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Only one that is worse is Jennings and he has shown more in the first 2 weeks than Willy so that may change.

your wrong. Flat out. Willy has has the worst protection in the cfl and it doesnt matter who we stuck back there with the time we get no one will succeed.

44 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

your kidding your self into thinking changing qbs will fix any thing. Hes far from the worst starting qb in the cfl. 

Bo Levi Mitchell-Calgary

Trevor Harris-Ottawa

Henry Burris-Ottawa

Mike Reiley-Edmonton

Kevin Glenn-Montreal

Zach Collaros-Hamilton

Darian Durant-Saskatchewan

Ricky Ray-Toronto

Other than perhaps Jennings, who is he playing better than?

7 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Willy has been hurried much less than last season up to this point.  Teams will continue to send the house on a consistent basis until Willy forces them to back off by completing more than a 4-yard pass.  He has thrown the ball poorly for the most part whenever he attempts to throw for more than 10 yards.

Of course, there are other elements of the team that are to blame as well, but Willy has to and should shoulder a large part of the responsibility...such as not completing a play before time expired at the end of the first half when there was 12 seconds left.

no. Willy has been hit and rushed far more this year then ever before. He was hit double digit times in the first game alone.

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Never heard any thing of the like from lawless. 

your wrong. Flat out. Willy has has the worst protection in the cfl and it doesnt matter who we stuck back there with the time we get no one will succeed.

I believe it was a comment in the Free Press or a tweet from him.  He flat out has the worst protection in the CFL, huh?  Did it ever occur to you that Willy may force more cover 0, cover 1 situations than any other QB because he is incapable to looking past his first, and often, check-down option that results in a 2 and out.  Teams will not change their tactics with Willy until he is capable of recognizing  and completing a pass to a receiver that is open and capable of gaining more than ten yards on a consistent basis. 

Just now, rebusrankin said:

Bo Levi Mitchell-Calgary

Trevor Harris-Ottawa

Henry Burris-Ottawa

Mike Reiley-Edmonton

Kevin Glenn-Montreal

Zach Collaros-Hamilton

Darian Durant-Saskatchewan

Ricky Ray-Toronto

Other than perhaps Jennings, who is he playing better than?

Better then / worse then isnt the same as production. hes better then glenn, masoli, jennings, durant and collaros. But then ricky ray doenst look like the ray of old. And BLM isnt any thing to write home about.  none of these guys can stay healthy / consistent. Most havent proved any thing but a brief flash. Willy has done more with dramatically less. BLM and glenn are only looking ok this year because theyve played against our D.