Around The NHL 2016/2017

16 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

No more how there is no economic impact if the team leaves and notion that there is no where for them to go.

There is literally no where for them to go until the NHL decides they can leave, which they wont.  If the options are leave or build a $2 billion palace with public money, then they should start renting moving trucks.  The problem with Burke is, he assumes he's always right and allows no room for compromise or reason.  And the problem with that is, it makes your opposition dig in because he's so unlikable. 

The example about Mosaic and IGF also doesnt compute since 1) the values are completely different and 2) those teams are publicly owned.

And as the article points out, if the Flames were willing to accept the fraction of the cost that True North got to build MTSC, then Im sure Alberta would be on board.

Didn't King come out after Burke's silly tirade and basically go into damage control and try to put out the fire?

http://www.tsn.ca/burke-flames-could-move-without-new-rink-1.772863

"Brian Burke runs Hockey Operations for the Calgary Flames and he and many Calgarians have strong views about this topic. However, he is not our spokesperson regarding a new events centre for our city. We remain committed to our dialogue with the City and very optimistic we will get to a positive conclusion. We admire everyone's enthusiasm on this subject."

- Ken King, CSEC President & CEO

I can't see the Flames relocating. Where would they go? No doubt the organization has to figure out its venue situation, but I don't think it's reasonable to take Burke's comments seriously. He's doing what he does best: stir the pot.

On 2017-06-08 at 0:47 PM, Brandon said:

Perreault I think is of more value for the Jets today then guys like Armia , Dano ,  Connor, Copp etc....      Our team needs to have some vets who can play at a consistent level...  

Perreault was consistent for last 20 games of season.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I can't see the Flames relocating. Where would they go?

Back to Atlanta! But yeah where would they go? Seattle seems close on getting a team but its probably Arizona.

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Example of how to build sporting facilities with small concourses and little to no parking.

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

How long should they go with out a new building. I believe they have the oldest one now in the NHL?

Until they pay for at least half of it?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

Calgarians against public funds for an arena are morons, plain and simple. Nenshi chief among them. Oldest, shittiest barn in the league. Beyond desperately needed.

I thought there was a big plan for NHL and CFL development?

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

I thought there was a big plan for NHL and CFL development?

Many plans... City said absolutely positively no to funds or gift in kind... Nada. Want it entirely privately funded, which is asinine. 

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Many plans... City said absolutely positively no to funds or gift in kind... Nada. Want it entirely privately funded, which is asinine. 

Based on what the flames want the government is right.  But present a more reasonable plan and i bet the government is willing to help out. 

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

1.4 billion seems a bit steep.  WHO do they think they are?  New York City???

And the government did a study that showed it was way underpriced.   So to them, the $1.4 Billion was a non-starter as far as even discussing it since they didn't believe the estimates.

Burke comparing a $40 million investment in MTSC to wanting the government to pay the majority of a nearly $2 billion development is pure idiocy.  Manitoba made back that $40 million in, what, less than 5 years?  (I recall it was well ahead of the estimated time line).  But billions?  Puh-leeze

so cap is flat and players already whine about escrow. So PA will invoke escalator and complain even louder about escrow. 

There will be labour strife because of this when too many players don't understand how it works and think they should just get whatever money is agreed to regardless of HRR split. They think League is robbing them when they get 50/50 but keep adding escalators to the cap every year.