Around The NHL 2016/2017

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

How so?

$5-5.5 is your A-list defencemen, then it drops to 3.5-4... then $800-$1.5 

Enstrom contract is looking bad, Myers is no longer very good from a cap perspective...  Stuart overpaid...  there's a lot of teams in this fix.

Edited by Floyd

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Enstrom contract is looking bad, Myers is no longer very good from a cap perspective...  Stuart overpaid...  there's a lot of teams in this fix.

Myers is very good.  Decent cap hit, lower cash.  Perfect for a team like the Jets.

24 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I wouldn't call these A-List defensemen yet.  These are good, young,  up and coming defensemen that signed these deals after their first entry level deal.  They may get to A-List in a few years, not all of them will.  The exact same position Myers was in when he signed his deal.

A-List D-men right now are people like Doughty ($7M), Weber ($7.8M), Keith ($5.5M - which is a steal), Subban ($9M)

Enstrom is probably overpaid for what he is now, but his contract can't even compared to these guys because of all of the RFA years that were bought in those contracts.  Enstrom had mostly or all UFA years in his.

Myers may be a problem if / when the Jets become a cap team.  Until then it doesn't matter.  A $2.6M salary for Stuart for this year and next is peanuts and is splitting hairs to complain about.

Both Stuart and Enstrom come off the books after next year, so those contracts are not hurting the team at all.    

Other then Trouba, the only contracts they need to figure out before both of these guys come off the books are Stafford (won't re-sign will free up more space), Burmi (still RFA signed for low or traded, Thorubrn - won't be re-signed, Tanev - 3rd / 4th line RFA, Postma - UFA, Chiarot - RFA won't command a big salary, Helleybuck - RFA who Atomic has decreed as AHL calibre so he will sign for peanuts as well).

There are things to fix on this team for sure, but these contracts are not an issue at all.

I think also, these contracts are second deals for these players.  And I think many of them thought they'd cash in with $6-$7m deals and teams are holding the reigns a bit.  They are reasonable deals for very good D men at that point in their careers.  And we might be seeing the trend away from a bridge deal, which cost the Habs.  Jets will sign Trouba for 6-7 years.

Ducks will be over the cap by about 150 000 and still need to shed salary. They are seriously in cap hell and might be forced to give up a guy like Theodore Larsson or Montour just to move a guy like Stoner. 

Like Chicago gave up Teravainen to get rid of Bickell.  Ducks will have to do the same shortly. 

Edited by Goalie

32 minutes ago, Goalie said:

RNH and Nurse aren't worth a potential #1D Lemieux and a probably high first. Regardless of Trouba not wanting to play in Canada... Jets lose that trade.  

That 1st could be Nolan Patrick or Liljegren or Hague. 

Not if they have RNH and Nurse in the lineup.

Nurse has 1D potential and Trouba is not yet a 1D. He may no have the O that Trouba has but is nastier and probably a better defensive player than Trouba is. Lemieux will be a solid 3rd winger but we have a plethora of LWers. RNH is the player I am most interested in. 5 years at 6 m per and an elite two way player. One of the very best defensive centers in the league. Think of what we could do with the lineup once Little gets back and I am not even talking about Roslo yet.

For Atomic's sake...

Laine Wheeler Scheif

Connor Little Armia

Perreault RNH Ehlers

Tanev Lowry Dano

Nurse Buff

Enstrom Myers

Morrissey ??

The trade makes us a better team now and in the future.

Also, Nurse is expansion draft exempt. We lose a 1st a 2nd and a soon to be 3rd winger and a D that doesn't want to be here.

We get RNH (23) for 5 seasons and Nurse (21)  controlled for 5 years.

The Oilers probably wouldn't do that deal but I would throw in Petan or a 2nd in 2018.

Edited by Ducky