general trade thread to spit ball ideas

Ducky

The on ly thi ng I see that Dano does better than Armia is go to the front of the net more.

Armia is way better defensively and is also a smooth passer and stick handler as well as a deceptive skater. Armia will start with the club in the fall, will Dano?

How many points did Ehlers have in his first 30 games?

If you think that Dano is a better player than Armia that is your opinion and par for the course.

Put Armia with so me skilled players and then tell me Dano is better.

If Chevy has a choice to protect either Dano or Armia for an expansion draft I guarantee you it is Armia that gets protected. Dano will be lucky to start with the Jets this fall and I expect him to start with the Moose.

Ehlers was a legit rookie. Armia was drafted same year as Scheifele. I like armia but right now he's all sizzle and no steak... like a Finnish Burmistrov. Armia is also a slow starter out of the gates. I get you like him.. I do also but... it's Dano over armia all day everyday 

Edited by Goalie

Kind of hard to compare both the guys considering Dano joined the team late and was playing with different line mates every few games.

Both guys IMO showed promise and looked to have a higher ceiling then someone like Lowry who at this point has already hit his ceiling. 

20 hours ago, Floyd said:

No way to judge Armia v Dano...  very similar players

Really like Armia on PK...  Dano might be good on second team PP

Too soon to make conclusions on these guys.  At times both of them showed they probably could use some more time in the AHL.  They are not out of place in the NHL, but they could still benefit from some more training time.

Armia had a (as in one) highlight reel goal last season, and as a result the hype around him is more than it should be.  I prefer to look at his fundamentals.  He uses his body well and takes advantage of his size when mismatches present themselves.  He's usually on the right side of the puck and in the right locations on the ice.  He did alright on the PK.  Not elite speed, but has NHL speed.

Not going to say much about Dano.  I didn't get many opportunities to watch him.  Based on limited exposure I'd agree calling him similar to Armia is a fair statement.

Bottom line is there are only 3 spots on the third line.  Having 9 third line players, there just isn't room.  Both these guys will get another season* to make their case for future roles with the club.

*I know people won't want to hear it but I can't imagine the Jets will be a playoff team in 16/17.  They will be even younger than they were this year.  But don't lose hope, there is a lot of growing that will come out of this, and 17/18 will see them make the second round of the playoffs.  So spending a season evaluating players like Armia and Dano isn't a bad use of time.  It has value.

I think its fair to say the Jets are likely to be on the outside looking in next season.  Anyone thinking the Jets are likely playoff contenders would be in the minority.  Saying that ofcourse, you never know.  I think the Jets have the talent that the switch will flip rather suddenly.  Whether that is this upcoming season or the next I dont know.  But I think they will struggle and then suddenly start putting it together.  More suddenly than gradually.

How about this one...

McDonagh and Kreider for Myers, Lemieux, Petan, Tanev and the 22nd overall.

ESW

Kreider Little Laine

Connor Perreault Armia

Copp Lowry Dano

Mcdonagh Buff

Enstrom Trouba

Morrissey Postma

Helle Pavs

He is a UFA in 3 years, the Jets window to win isn't in 3 years, Gotta stop kidding ourselves that the Jets are gonna be contenders this season or even next, to give up all those young players who actually fit in to this team is just crazy. The Jets are building for the future, not for the present. They are in a rebuild of sorts, trading for McDonagh, perhaps if the team was closer to competing but they aren't. Sure, he would be great to have on the Jets but i'm not willing to overpay for a guy who quite frankly, doesn't really help us win right now. If we were on the cusp of turning things around and about to become legit contenders for the playoffs, sure, DO IT... but we aren't. We aren't there yet and won't be for a couple more years probably. 

Where do you get this rebuild and no playoffs for years thing...

Wheeler, Buff, Little, Perrault, Myers are in their prime.  Scheif, Trouba, Lowry are no longer rookies...

Helle and Ehlers step up, get rid of Stuart and Burmi, leave Thorbs as 4th line or healthy scratch... this is absolutely a playoff team

New assistant coach could make a world of difference

In a perfect world sure but... you seem to be expecting a lot from first year players like Connor and Laine/Puljujarvi

They are a draft and develop team. They have said that from day 1. Where are you getting they aren't? 

Helle gets a chance for the starter's role this season.....he won't look back. This team won't be a bottom 6 team again next year.

Helle Laine Wheeler Perreault Little Connor Ehlers Buff Trouba and Scheif won't let that happen.

4 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I'll be pretty surprised if Copp isn't with the Jets next season.

So would I be but not everyone makes the team....

Little Wheeler Scheif Ehlers Perreault Staf and Laine and Connor will be on the team....that leaves 4 positions and a press box seat or two for the forwards.

Lowry Armia Copp Dano Thorbs Peluso Lemieux Petan Burmi Tanev Lipon ... did I miss anyone? That's 11 players. For sake of argument, let's say Lipon Peluso Tanev go to the Moose. That leaves a lot of talent for just a few spots.

I can't see Lowry and Armia starting on the farm because neither would clear waivers. I think Burmi would have to also. Glad I'm not making these choices.