League approves 10 of 11 rule proposals

LeBird

lol  it could be quick, im talking the goal post already upright,  and ready to be moved into place from just outside the endzone out of bounds/track area.  if it's a similiar set up to those basketball nets, they really only tip if a person hangs of them, which no one would be,  and i doubt a ball would impact it, or the wind.   

If weight is an issue stop making them so heavy with iron,  absolutely no reason why something similar shaped but of different and lighter material couldnt be substituted

5 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Ever notice those guys in the striped shirts?  They're non player obstacles too, in the field and they move.   Seriously, how many times a year to the goal posts, the crossbar or the post come into play?  Not too many in my recollection.  How many times do refs get run over or force a player to move around them?  A lot more, I think.   If the players can adjust to the refs, I'm betting they can manage the other without too much difficulty.

Probably more than you think, i.e., how it can influence a play without a player actually running into it. Yes like the refs but that reasoning doesn't negate it's impact.

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

lol  it could be quick, im talking the goal post already upright,  and ready to be moved into place from just outside the endzone out of bounds/track area.  if it's a similiar set up to those basketball nets, they really only tip if a person hangs of them, which no one would be,  and i doubt a ball would impact it, or the wind.   

If weight is an issue stop making them so heavy with iron,  absolutely no reason why something similar shaped but of different and lighter material couldnt be substituted

there is a reason it can't be substituted. You ever see the uprights sway in the wind? What do you think a lighter metal would do? This idea is dumb. In the CFL you get points if you get the ball across the goal line and it stays in the end zone. It's the way it's been and the way it should stay. 

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

Last post on this because this is silly.  You clearly don't recognize just how difficult and potentially dangerous it would be to even consider something like this.  I'm not trying to insult, but the idea that you think that someone could possibly do something like this is laughable.  Two 20 foot high poles suspended from a 18.5 foot wide crossbeam mounted on a 10 foot pole has to be made of something substantial if it it was moveable.  Do you realize the force of wind on a structure like that?  How difficult it would be to move something that big by hand?  You don't seem to have any concept of the forces at play here or the potential for disaster if something like that ever toppled over.   Please, go talk to an engineer and ask him what he thinks about the idea.  Make sure that you mention the dimensions and the idea that it has to be portable and pose little to no danger to players, staff or spectators.  Good luck.

6 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Probably more than you think, i.e., how it can influence a play without a player actually running into it. Yes like the refs but that reasoning doesn't negate it's impact.

What you say may be true, but factor in that both teams can take advantage of this and I really don't see the issue here at all.  We've played with the post there for a lot of years and I don't recall anyone in the league ever bemoaning that fact..  Like I said, this whole thing smacks of a solution looking for a problem.  Compare the impact of a pole being on the goal line with what our game would look like if we moved them to the back line and I think that I'd rather have the problem of a pick any day.

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Fixed into the ground the goalposts move quite a lot in any kind of wind.  You really think it would be ok to have a set just sitting there with all the people on the field and 30000 in the stands?  People would die...like every season, get crushed by uprights.

The uprights are exponentially larger (height and weight) than a basketball hoop and support.

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

What you say may be true, but factor in that both teams can take advantage of this and I really don't see the issue here at all.  We've played with the post there for a lot of years and I don't recall anyone in the league ever bemoaning that fact..  Like I said, this whole thing smacks of a solution looking for a problem.  Compare the impact of a pole being on the goal line with what our game would look like if we moved them to the back line and I think that I'd rather have the problem of a pick any day.

Don't know I'd have to check the CFL archives which I'm not going to do. And my guess it's not an issue of bemoaning, It's not even really an issue. It's more I would guess that location has come up now and then and is there anything the league could do with it to improve the game. Just like any other proposal, simply a  discussion and not a solution looking for a problem. 

For the record I'm not supporting any idea of moving in and out goalposts no way no how. However, thinking that moving the goal posts stationary to the back of the end zone would ruin the game's excitement of last minute point getting is a bit exaggerated. For example, one of the many things I like about the CFL is the last 3 minutes of each half that allows teams more time to get themselves into scoring position that makes virtually no lead safe. Having the goal posts in the back of the end zone would definitely make field goals more challenging but I could also suggest based on my observations that over time (with no stats to support) place kickers are more athletic, stronger and accurate than ever before.

It's fun to discuss these things knowing a lot of this will go nowhere other than a discussion.

51 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Don't know I'd have to check the CFL archives which I'm not going to do. And my guess it's not an issue of bemoaning, It's not even really an issue. It's more I would guess that location has come up now and then and is there anything the league could do with it to improve the game. Just like any other proposal, simply a  discussion and not a solution looking for a problem. 

For the record I'm not supporting any idea of moving in and out goalposts no way no how. However, thinking that moving the goal posts stationary to the back of the end zone would ruin the game's excitement of last minute point getting is a bit exaggerated. For example, one of the many things I like about the CFL is the last 3 minutes of each half that allows teams more time to get themselves into scoring position that makes virtually no lead safe. Having the goal posts in the back of the end zone would definitely make field goals more challenging but I could also suggest based on my observations that over time (with no stats to support) place kickers are more athletic, stronger and accurate than ever before.

It's fun to discuss these things knowing a lot of this will go nowhere other than a discussion.

If anyone in the league has voiced a concern about this, I am not aware of it.  If a fan muses that it might be a good idea, that's fair and we can discuss it, but as I see it, being that no one in the league appears to be concerned about the placement of the goal posts, then any proposed "fix" is literally a solution looking for a problem. 

Edited by WBBFanWest

13 hours ago, Nolby said:

Nfl had to adjust to the converts, why can't we adjust to the distance change. I'm not trying to start a battle but just something I've been pondering when the topic of rule changes come up every year.

Our field is 5 yards longer. With NFL goal posts currently 10 yards deeper than ours in the NFL you have to move the ball 5 yards further than in the CFL to have the same length kick (assuming you started on your own half of the field)

If we put the goalposts at the back of our end zone, to have the same length kick you now have to move the ball 15 yards further than in the NFL.  

So if you start around your own 25, and figure you need a 45 yard kick to be in reasonable field goal range, you need to move the ball 47 yards. 

With your proposal to get into field goal range you'd have to gain 67 yards of offense to get into field goal range. As well if your range is 45 yards you'd have to get to the 18 yard line before you'd kick a field goal. Do you really only want to see field goals attempted from inside the 20? I can't imagine why you'd want that change.

On 23/04/2016 at 1:31 PM, Nolby said:

Am I the only one who still thinks they should eventually move the goal posts to yhe back of the end zone?  I'm still a much bigger fan of the CFL than NFL but this is where I do think the nfl got it right.

Yes you are. Might as well ad a 4th down while we're talking about stupid rule changes to make the game more american. 

17 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Virtual goalposts! That's the answer! Use the tracker-ball-flight technology and eliminate the guesswork. ?

That would generate a secondary economy where Bulgarians or Russians could be hired to change the goal area by hacking into the system. That would really cut down on field goal attempts. 

The season better get here soon, some of us are getting bad cabin fever. 

17 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Virtual goalposts! That's the answer! Use the tracker-ball-flight technology and eliminate the guesswork. ?

A floating holographic plane, which doubles as a gateway to another dimension and gives the Bombers yet another place to plaster adverts. on.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

16 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I don't believe it's exaggerated at all. Right now, teams can get the ball to the 45-50 yard line and have a good shot of winning the game on a last second field goal. You move the goals back another 20 yards, and that 45 yarder has now turned into a 65 yarder. Yes kickers are likely stronger/more accurate. But if any CFL team has a kicker that can hit a 65 yarder, even once out of 5 tries. That guy is going south in no time. Not only would it limit the "no lead is safe" game we love, but it would reduce scoring in general. get to the 40, there's a good chance of scoring 3 from there. Move it back, and that field goal now becomes a punt. It just doesn't work on so so so many levels, it's not really worth discussing. But here I am...ugh the off season sucks.