League approves 10 of 11 rule proposals

LeBird

Having the advantage of being able to watch a play from a TV angle or review it at slow speed can't or won't make officials 

"better" It provides a different perspective for the video officials. Those that continually ridicule and criticize officials have obviously never officiated a sport in "real time". In particular a sport like football with the greatest number of players playing on one of the largest sporting surfaces utilized. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you run them over with a bus.

Because of the vast differences of the game, this part makes me feel better.

The program will give those officials additional live-field reps during the latter part of the offseason, when they otherwise would have no football-related work. They'll be placed mostly as side and field judges, where rule differences will be minimized, in both preseason and regular-season games from June until the end of July.

This part, not so much...

In exchange, the NFL will take an unspecified number of CFL officials into its development program, giving them additional training and access to the NFL hiring process when openings occur. They'll attend minicamps and training camps while also officiating preseason games.

Great opportunity for the refs, but we can't really afford to lose our best refs.   Although I find it unlikely they end up hiring any of our refs.

1 hour ago, Nolby said:

Am I the only one who still thinks they should eventually move the goal posts to yhe back of the end zone?  I'm still a much bigger fan of the CFL than NFL but this is where I do think the nfl got it right.

Considering the depth of an NFL end zone vs a CFL end zone, moving our goal posts to the back would fundamentally change the game.  Not a good plan in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Nolby said:

Am I the only one who still thinks they should eventually move the goal posts to yhe back of the end zone?  I'm still a much bigger fan of the CFL than NFL but this is where I do think the nfl got it right.

3 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Considering the depth of an NFL end zone vs a CFL end zone, moving our goal posts to the back would fundamentally change the game.  Not a good plan in my opinion. 

pretty much. When most seasons bombers kickers seem unable to consistently hit any kick over 30 yards, even from the 20 yard line you'd be looking at a 47 yard kick. You'd basically take field goals out of the game.  You'd also take out returns from missed field goals which is one of the more exciting plays in the CFL, and make every missed field goal almost an automatic rouge since if the guy didn't have the leg to make the back of the end zone they wouldn't try the kick.  The CFL rules and end zone size make it necessary to have the uprights at the goal line.

9 hours ago, Nolby said:

quick answer.. yes.

long answer.. yup pretty sure your the minority :)

On 23/04/2016 at 2:31 PM, Nolby said:

I like the idea of getting the goal posts out of the way... but with a 20 yard end zone, it just won't happen.... basically eliminates the kicking game...

On 4/13/2016 at 9:03 AM, LeBird said:

According to Doug Brown the command centre will now basically have its thumb print on many aspect of the game. If his interpretation of the rule changes is correct, we are in for many game stoppages while some guy in Toronto reviews a play. And that's not good. The football fan sitting in the seat at the stadium is in most cases able to form an educated opinion of what he sees on the screen during a slow motion replay. So when the command centre's call is booed by all the fans, it's a pretty good indication the call was wrong.  They get as many calls wrong as there are by the refs that are debatable. 

Personally, I would get rid of all video replays and when the call it wrong just lump it. We will get our turn at some point. The game will last longer and guess who gains by having more time. The same people who I would guess had a strong influence in the adoption of the rules. The game stops for 30 seconds well let's throw a 20 second spot in there. How many times do you PVR a game only to find out you are missing the last part of the game.

Just my thinking.

Sooner rather than later we will be debating whether we actually need on field officiating making calls. With technology ever evolving, we're probably at the stage, or close to, where a game could be officiated and managed behind a key board and monitor.

Not a great cup of tea to digest for sport enthusiasts who believe real-time human subjectivity is part of the game. 

I love technology and building with the stuff but I don't think it's place is to control sports. We are trying to camouflage the incompetence due to poor training and selection.  Football is not a game of inches, it's a game of yards.

3 hours ago, Nolby said:

I knew I'd take a little heat for this but I find it funny that we have to work around an obstacle on the field that's a non player.

Ever notice those guys in the striped shirts?  They're non player obstacles too, in the field and they move.   Seriously, how many times a year to the goal posts, the crossbar or the post come into play?  Not too many in my recollection.  How many times do refs get run over or force a player to move around them?  A lot more, I think.   If the players can adjust to the refs, I'm betting they can manage the other without too much difficulty.

33 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Nfl had to adjust to the converts, why can't we adjust to the distance change. I'm not trying to start a battle but just something I've been pondering when the topic of rule changes come up every year.

I don't really think that you've thought this through.  It's not simply moving the goal posts back.  It's the fact that field goals beyond the 20-25 yard lines would be a thing if the past.  It would reduce the chances of that last minute drive down the field to get into field goal range.  Now you need to get to the 40 (ish).  With your proposal, you'd pretty much have to get into the red zone.  Those 20 yards are not just an "adjustment", they would, as I said earlier, fundamentally change our game.  If the gaol posts came into play a lot, you might have an argument, a weak one sure, but an argument.  As it stands, the only reason I see for you wanting this is "because the NFL does it".  Well, if that's the reason, I have an simple suggestion.  Go watch the NFL.

Edited by WBBFanWest

they could always have lines in the endzone where the field goal would be placed and haul out a mobile upright. kind of like 

pDSP1-13569839dt.jpg

with sand in it to keep it from shifting where it stands, but wheels to make it portable.  it wouldnt take much for a few crew members to rush one into place once the team on offense indicates they are going for 3

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Please, for the love of all that is holy, please tell me that you're just joking.  Actually, now that I think of it, you could give them an option.  3 points for a stationary field goal, 5 points if it's moving.  Make that a suggestion to the Rules Committee and the wait for the rule changes announcement next year.  This idea and black lined footballs, the new and improved CFL!

lol i just meant, removing the goal post in non FG situations,  when the team comes out with their FG unit,  the stadium crew would haul out the uprights. wouldnt be a horrible idea, i've seen passes smoke the pole or players use the base of it as a pick play

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

28 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

lol i just meant, removing the goal post in non FG situations,  when the team comes out with their FG unit,  the stadium crew would haul out the uprights. wouldnt be a horrible idea, i've seen passes smoke the pole or players use the base of it as a pick play

You do realize that the uprights stand 30 high and would weigh over 1000lbs.  You don't just "haul out" something like that.  Seriously, whatever it is that people are smoking today, I need me some of that.

8-10 people likely could set it up, but not in a few seconds, so now we're looking at a 5 minute "goal post set up" delay.  And of course, there's no danger in a structure like that falling over and crushing someone on the field.  No risk at all.

What you have here, in my opinion, is a solution in search of a problem, so maybe, let it go.

Edited by WBBFanWest