Jets vs Oilers Heritage Classic

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

My buddy's dad is the old WHA goalie, Tumilson... He is a PROUD former Jet. One of his great life achievements... 

Gordie Tumilson is the former Canadian National Team goalie. He was at times, the starter until a graduate from Cornell University showed up named Ken Dryden. Nats Defenseman Ken Stephenson (who later played for the WHA Jets) was our neighbour across the street in Riverview. I remember seeing players from the National team come over from time to time to his house. Fran Huck was the star of the team. He also played for the Jets after the National team was disbanded in 1970. I think maybe a half dozen former Nats players did play & play well in the WHA.

Edited by iso_55

6 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Nah, you just misread my post.

Ford, Marois & Watters were the ones in particular I was referencing.

Watters was our Stuart at the time.

Think you have to put Mann ahead of Kyte in terms of worst 1st round pick even if Mann had great junior stats.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Watters was our Stuart at the time.

Think you have to put Mann ahead of Kyte in terms of worst 1st round pick even if Mann had great junior stats.

Wow, I forgot about Mann....talk about a waste of two 1st round draft picks.

The Jets iced some awesome teams back in the day. 4th overall in 84-85. Hawerchuk had 130 points (53 goals) and was a 2nd team all-star, 2nd in MVP behind Gretzky. Think about that for a moment... a Jet winning the Hart...when is he going to come home and become part of the team here again?

I hadn't heard of the new assistant coach but his resume looks okay and I like that he is under 50.

edit...    I forgot...they also had six 30+ goal scorers that season.

Edited by Ducky

38 minutes ago, Ducky said:

The Jets iced some awesome teams back in the day. 4th overall in 84-85. Hawerchuk had 130 points (53 goals) and was a 2nd team all-star, 2nd in MVP behind Gretzky. Think about that for a moment... a Jet winning the Hart...when is he going to come home and become part of the team here again?

I hadn't heard of the new assistant coach but his resume looks okay and I like that he is under 50.

From memory...Haw, Luk, Paul Mac, Smail, Mullen and McBain?

Might be wrong about McBain,

13 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Gordie Tumilson is the former Canadian National Team goalie. He was at times, the starter until a graduate from Cornell University showed up named Ken Dryden. Nats Defenseman Ken Stephenson (who later played for the WHA Jets) was our neighbour across the street in Riverview. I remember seeing players from the National team come over from time to time to his house. Fran Huck was the star of the team. He also played for the Jets after the National team was disbanded in 1970. I think maybe a half dozen former Nats players did play & play well in the WHA.

ha I just met Fran Huck last year at a winery opening, he's a lawyer here now.  I must admit though I had heard of him, I had a "young guy" moment like some here are having about the 1980's Jets and didn't fully appreciate it.  I told an older guy I knew from Winnipeg that Fran Huck was at the opening and he just about fell over, he was so excited to run over and meet him.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

15 hours ago, Ducky said:

I saw a interview with Gretzky where he said Lukowich's play was a huge factor in the final Avco Cup where the Jets beat the Oilers.

Kyte wasn't unconscious in that fight. Fergie's worst draft choice. 12th overall!

I love the lineup...didn't know who Ford was either but I remember the rest.

he wasn't unconscious?  I don't think there's enough evidence to judge either way.  

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

What's everyone remember about former player/coach Barry Long?

Messing around on hockeydb and see he coached that awesome 84/85 season, after playing as recently as 81/82. Interesting.

15 hours ago, Goalie said:

I'm not old enough to remember but I've heard the name Mario Marois mentioned quite a bit in my lifetime. Parents and hockey coaches mentioned that name lots. Guess it's kind of a catchy name. 

i remember in the 1980's the Jets had their "Goals for Kids" program where local businesses would contribute a certain amount of money to kids charities for every goal scored by a certain player.  Mario Marois was sponsored by Fancy Ass jeans.  I still remember the look on his face when he had to go up and shake their hands at the press conference, the look on his face of WTF kind of name is that was priceless.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Messing around on hockeydb and see he coached that awesome 84/85 season, after playing as recently as 81/82. Interesting.

Barry Melrose too - big time broadcaster now for LA.  He played in Winnipeg for a few years, and broke his jaw if memory serves.  He came out to speak at one of our hockey team banquets one year, which was really cool.  I remember being disappointed only because we had heard that Dave Christian was coming out and we were all ga-ga over the US Olympic team knocking off the Russians for the gold in 1980.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

16 hours ago, Ducky said:

Kyte wasn't unconscious in that fight.

Kyte was done here when he lost to that guy in Detroit. Probert?

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Jets had a LOT of head coaches. They changed them every 2.5 years.

4 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

ha I just met Fran Huck last year at a winery opening, he's a lawyer here now.  I must admit though I had heard of him, I had a "young guy" moment like some here are having about the 1980's Jets and didn't fully appreciate it.  I told an older guy I knew from Winnipeg that Fran Huck was at the opening and he just about fell over, he was so excited to run over and meet him.

just to clarify Gord Tumilson as you have  quoted me. I already noted this earlier for Noeller but I want to do it again. I was mistaken about Gord Tumilson. He never played on the Nats. He played senior hockey for the St Boniface Mohawks before signing with the WHA Jets. Fran Huck was an international star on the Nats. He was easily Canada's best player. Just a little guy who was very creative with the puck & a fan favourite. He also signed with the Jets after the Nats were disbanded.

• 5 weeks later...