Jets vs Oilers Heritage Classic

Carlyle and Housley are busy coaching, too bad because they'd be nice addition ins.

I'd love to see some of those 90's Jets guys mentioned above, just because I actually saw them play live. The Bulin Wall in particular, we're short a goalie.

As for fan fav Tie Domi... someone has to scrap with Semenko, no?

20 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Mike Eagles? Mike Ford? Mario Marois?

Marois  I barely remember. Eagles I remember. Mike Ford? WTF is Mike Ford?

No Tkachuck, Khabibulin or Zhamnov? Christo!

Hey, I'll admit it. I didn't recognize names of more than one of our alumni team.

Here I was thinking I was a fan and all ;)

I only didn't recognize one name, that roster is pretty good. Tkatchuk can't play because as UP said he's obese these days. Taller version of wade Miller.

I'm only sad that Luciano Borsato didn't get the call lol.

Hawerchuk was on 1290 this afternoon and said it was hard to get guys because they had other commitments. I hope they can get Pokey Reddick,  Eddie O, Olausson and maybe a guy like Housley? 

When the heritage game was announced Domi was interviewed about the event and the alumni team responding that he would love to get on the ice with Teemu again or something like that, guess the organizer's didn't hear him or they just don't care, personally if Kris King is here then Domi should of been invited also.

26 minutes ago, bustamente said:

When the heritage game was announced Domi was interviewed about the event and the alumni team responding that he would love to get on the ice with Teemu again or something like that, guess the organizer's didn't hear him or they just don't care, personally if Kris King is here then Domi should of been invited also.

Kris King was the captain!

37 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I only didn't recognize one name, that roster is pretty good. Tkatchuk can't play because as UP said he's obese these days. Taller version of wade Miller.

I'm only sad that Luciano Borsato didn't get the call lol.

Hawerchuk was on 1290 this afternoon and said it was hard to get guys because they had other commitments. I hope they can get Pokey Reddick,  Eddie O, Olausson and maybe a guy like Housley? 

Housley also is another coaching cant play guy.

Hawerchuk sure went with 'his' guys. Only advantage I see is that Teemu/Teppo  were among the last to play.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Housley also is another coaching cant play guy.

Hawerchuk sure went with 'his' guys. Only advantage I see is that Teemu/Teppo  were among the last to play.

What guys do you think he should of invited?

Here's a link of all the players... I think they did well

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/display_players.php?tmi=9024

Edited by Brandon

If you think about it they are paying respect to their WHA and early 80s days. Yeah Teemu Teppo and Essensa are there but really it's about the WHA and the 80s. It's an ok roster for sure. It's not as star studded as the oilers roster but the bottom line is.... no roster was as star studded as that roster. 

Domi had a cup of coffee here.  Housley is coaching.  So Is Arniel Carlyle and McLean.  Eddie O ? Sure but he also works for NBC doesn't he? 

The reality is.... because they left for 20 years really.... our history really doesn't consist of that many players. No ryan Smyth who just recently retired for the Jets. 

Zhamnov and Tkachuk I bet were never options. I bet Khabibulin wasn't either. They have their 90s star with Teemu pretty much. 

I think a guy like Rick Tabarachi or Tim Chevelday would have received a call as goalies but maybe they feel goalie bob is enough 

Edited by Goalie

Isn't essensa a coach?  I could see Khabi getting called. He's still young. 

Zhamnov would have been nice to hbe someone fairly young but who knows what kind of shape he's in. I wonder if they would have called Doan had he retired 

probably not. 

Probably The Bandit would get called. He fits the era. They said they have a few spots left. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Our best goalie was Khabibulin so where's he? Not that Essensa is bad, He'd be my 2nd choice and maybe Tim Cheveldae 3rd.

Zhamnov/Tkachuk the biggest surprises not on the team. Okay Tkachuk is big now so i can see that. Not that i loved him. Can never forgive him for holding out for more money when he was under contract. Bastid!

A lot of the surprises are people who are coaching, with the exception of Carlyle I'm sure the others could spare a day not assisting coaching.

That Mike Ford thing still is a wtf choice. He played in the WHA - I had to look that up. Marois too. Just dont remember him being that worthy.

Now I was glad to see Ron Wilson get in. He deserved better. In fact his career went 180 after going to STL.

Major plus to having McVie coach. Another guy who deserved better.

Eddie O, Tie D., where are ya?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Eddie and Tie weren't really that big of players here. Eddie works for NBC hockey. No Housley and the others who are coaching couldn't play cuz their teams probably play that night.  In the big picture that game is meaningless.  I mean it's cool and all but it's meaningless.  The Nashville game... Ducks....Rangers etc games are more important than a heritage old timers hockey game 

This game only really means something to the fans. And obviously some players but you aren't gonna skip your day job to come play a meaningless old timers game. 

Bottom line is. ... not everyone can participate in this game 

Edited by Goalie

I think it's just more compared the Oilers greats who are available and wanting to play they the Jets alumni looks lacking. But they wanted 80's players obviously. 

Still id hope they asked Tkachuk and Zhamnov. If only to reunite the Selanne line. Same reason to ask Housley. 

Need another goalie so obvious pick is Nik. Didn't play long though. But would probably be the best goalie in the game that day and we'd need him!

Patrick Williams has some great Jets stuff on NHL.com right now - like 5 or more different articles/topics.

Re: Heritage Classic, his piece has some quotes from Gretzky I found interesting. Pretty much said the Oilers alumni are all or nothing; saying he wouldn't play if Messier didn't, and they wouldn't if Coffey wasn't etc etc. 

Hey Edm, screw you! You could leave a few HOFs at home and still take down our alumni!