Jets vs Oilers Heritage Classic

Hawerchuck, for those who weren't born yet, was an amazing player. Watch how he sets guys up in this game from 84. The Flyer goalie was Pelle Lindberg who tragically died in a car crash about a year after this, Brad McCrimon who also died tragically in that Russian plane crash in 2011 also played in this game for the Flyers ...

Edited by IC Khari

12 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

Hawerchuck, for those who weren't born yet, was an amazing player. Watch how he sets guys up in this game from 84. The Flyer goalie was Pelle Lindberg who tragically died in a car crash about a year after this ...

A friend of mine went to a Flyers Rangers game the year after Lindbergh died. The Ranger fans were chanting at Hextall "buy a Porsche!" That's hard-core.

Dale Hawerchuk was exceptional. He made Paul MacLean into a 40 goals plus a year scorer. MacLean was drafted by the St. Louis Blues but spent a year in the minors before being called up for 1 game.  He then became a Winnipeg Jet & Dale's linemate & was considered a power forward in today's game. Like Gretzky, Hawerchuk could see the entire ice & had the ability to anticipate plays & where his linemates were so he could feed them the puck. Hawerchuk made every Jet he played with a better player.

Edited by iso_55

Living in Calgary the past 26 years for like 15 years of all that I'd hear Flames fans wondering how much better Jarome Iginla would ha e been in his prime with a quality centre man feeding him the puck. I can only imagine how many more goals Iggy would have had with Dale Hawerchuk as his centre instead of some of the stiffs Iginla played with. 

You have to wonder how committed the Flames as an organization were to winning back a decade ago when they had the premier power forward in the NHL & they just flat out refused to spend the money to bring in a quality centre for him to play with. Darryl Sutter just would not bring in a centre & it continued after Sutter was fired to when Jarome Iginla finally asked to be traded.

Barry Sanders walked out on the Detroit Lions & retired because he felt the Lions weren't committed to winning. Iginla should have demanded a trade in 2006 instead of waiting until 2013 to finally leave as it appeared the Flames had no interest in winning either.

To be champions, every NHL team needs that crafty number one centre position to set up his wingers. Flames never had one. They may have one now in Sean Monahan. The Jets as well in Mark Scheifle as he continues to improve & get better.

We paid exorbitant sums to go to the fLames/Habs game a few years back at McMahon. Awful seats, *FREEZING* cold, and possibly the two teams I hate more than any other in the NHL. But y'know what? It's a ******* OUTDOOR NHL GAME....who knows when or if you'd ever get to see one again?! It's an event...just to say you were there...to be a part of it. We got tix off Ebay, I think...whatever it took to say we were there. I'd likely do the same for the Jets/Oilers, being my two favourite teams, but not sure I can get the time off work to come out from AB. 

I strongly encourage anyone who has the opportunity to get tix...go....it really is a once in a lifetime deal, and you won't regret it. 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We paid exorbitant sums to go to the fLames/Habs game a few years back at McMahon. Awful seats, *FREEZING* cold, and possibly the two teams I hate more than any other in the NHL. But y'know what? It's a ******* OUTDOOR NHL GAME....who knows when or if you'd ever get to see one again?! It's an event...just to say you were there...to be a part of it. We got tix off Ebay, I think...whatever it took to say we were there. I'd likely do the same for the Jets/Oilers, being my two favourite teams, but not sure I can get the time off work to come out from AB. 

I strongly encourage anyone who has the opportunity to get tix...go....it really is a once in a lifetime deal, and you won't regret it. 

This is the main reason why I'm disappointed that Bombers STH don't get a shot at pre-sales.  I get why we don't though but like you, it's my 2 favorite teams & the likelyhood of getting tickets off ticket master when they go on sale is going to be pretty slim.  3rd party ticket websites always carry some risk and I'd be ******* pissed if I spent the money and ended up with fake/stolen tickets.

I expect it to sell out quickly.  I hope I'm wrong though!

I'm not sure where the $600 price comes from, since nothing has been announced.  When the game was talked about last year (in January), Lawless had the average ticket price pegged around $170 (which is lower than what I would have thought).  

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it sold out in nearly the same rate as ST did in 2011.

The thirst for NHL hockey again is palpable here, but even more so people crave the nostalgia factor. 

Hawerchuk, Selanne, Gretzky, Messier, Coffey alone will sell this out right quick.