Site Maintenance Tonight

Rich

Last evening the website was down again.

Apparently we had another hiccup with the hosting provider at the same time as the site was rebuilding its cache which corrupted it.

I've been prepping the site on a new host and will be migrating over to it tonight.  Getting real tired of these outages.

Once the site is down and migrated, it may take up to 24 hours (it will likely be a lot less) for the internet to update itself and point to the new server.

50 minutes ago, comedygeek said:

I'm even more curious who the current/glitchy host is!

www.asmallorange.com   who were really good for the first while, but its been declining steadily.  Been doing a lot of research since Christmas.  The website was down so couldn't do much but plan on where I was going next.  They were bought out by a company called EIG in 2010.  ASO's CEO stayed on for a while though.  Since he has left, they've been declining. 

Seems EIG has a reputation of buying smaller hosting companies with good reputations and stripping them down over time.  They also own BlueHost, HostGator, NetFirms, and 30 - 50 other companies.  http://researchasahobby.com/full-list-eig-hosting-companies-brands/ .  Big player in the hosting game.

They aren't real public about who they own, but from what I've seen they get a fair amount of complaints.    

Lookup asmallorange VPS outage december 2015 on google and you will find many complaints on the 5 day outage over Christmas.  People who actually make their living over their websites or make their livelihood managing / re-selling  websites for other people had a lot more to complain about then me.  Even if they offered re-imbursement for the downtime, which they haven't, it wouldn't make up for lost revenue and reputation.

The worst part is I prepaid for a year because it gets you 20% off the cost.  Paid up till mid-May, so walking away from 4 months of paid hosting time.  No choice though.  Can't keep dealing with these glitches.

6 hours ago, Rich said:

www.asmallorange.com   who were really good for the first while, but its been declining steadily.  Been doing a lot of research since Christmas.  The website was down so couldn't do much but plan on where I was going next.  They were bought out by a company called EIG in 2010.  ASO's CEO stayed on for a while though.  Since he has left, they've been declining. 

Seems EIG has a reputation of buying smaller hosting companies with good reputations and stripping them down over time.  They also own BlueHost, HostGator, NetFirms, and 30 - 50 other companies.  http://researchasahobby.com/full-list-eig-hosting-companies-brands/ .  Big player in the hosting game.

They aren't real public about who they own, but from what I've seen they get a fair amount of complaints.    

Lookup asmallorange VPS outage december 2015 on google and you will find many complaints on the 5 day outage over Christmas.  People who actually make their living over their websites or make their livelihood managing / re-selling  websites for other people had a lot more to complain about then me.  Even if they offered re-imbursement for the downtime, which they haven't, it wouldn't make up for lost revenue and reputation.

The worst part is I prepaid for a year because it gets you 20% off the cost.  Paid up till mid-May, so walking away from 4 months of paid hosting time.  No choice though.  Can't keep dealing with these glitches.

That sucks. It's a real cut-throat business though and I'm not surprised to see it go this way. Happens in all forms of business. Here's hoping for a better ride with the new host.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

If you are reading this then you've made it over to the new server.

It looks like everything migrated correctly and is running.  Still a few tweaks and optimizations I need to make, but it shouldn't affect anything.

Let me know if you see or experience any issues.

Still have to sign in everytime as I discussed with you earlier. Thanks for your diligence here though. 

Edited by iso_55

On 2016-01-08 at 5:17 PM, Rich said:

Good information to learn. As a web developer for nearly 20 years, I've gone through my share of hosts, hosting issues, hosting failures, etc. -- either directly with my own hosts, or dealing with new clients' old hosts.

I did some research on Digital Ocean since you posted you were switching there. Still trying to learn how exactly they have everything set up, and if the pricing would be any kind of savings from where I currently host most of my sites (and worth the hassle of moving 20-odd sites, some more major than others). They sure seem to be client-focused, though! (And quality-focused.)

just noticed a goofy little issue with boards new format. if you use # in front of a number such as (#1) it tries to associate the numbers to people in the forum member list AND wont let you complete the action until you select someone..

goofy little glitch but thought worth mentioning.   I couldnt type bonafide #1 receiver in a quoted reply for that reason but I can do it here..

26 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

just noticed a goofy little issue with boards new format. if you use # in front of a number such as (#1) it tries to associate the numbers to people in the forum member list AND wont let you complete the action until you select someone..

goofy little glitch but thought worth mentioning.   I couldnt type bonafide #1 receiver in a quoted reply for that reason but I can do it here..

It does happen with the @ symbol but you should just be able to type and space away from it if you aren't selecting a member.  I can't get it to happen with #

• Rich unpinned this topic