Rams headed back to LA

FrostyWinnipeg

13 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Didn't the chargers and raiders also apply for relocation?

Yeah.  All three teams filed for relocation on Monday (first day they were eligible) .. I think only St. Louis has a realistic stadium proposal that might allow them to keep the team there.

I don't see all 3 going to LA, so I wonder which team gets to build their stadium. Personally, I like the Inglewood plan a lot better and I just don't see Kroenke staying in St. Louis.

No, they would still have to build a stadium but if I remember correctly, the $1.1B dollar proposal is being put forth by local governments (municipal / state) and they seem committed to trying to make it work.   The move would require Kroenke to obtain approval from 3/4 of the leagues owners .. something I'm not sure he can get .. the Chargers / Raiders bid (at least on the surface) appears more likely to be approved.

Just my sense of things.

5 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

The move would require Kroenke to obtain approval from 3/4 of the leagues owners .. something I'm not sure he can get .. t

I dont think that's right. I don't think they can stop an owner from moving a team. The Raiders moved without permission.

Nothing happened.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/13/7536819/jerry-jones-stan-kreonke-relocation-nfl-rams

""but Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says that is not the case, per the New York Times:

"As it would turn out now, apart from the league saying no, you can move there," he said. "Keep in mind that teams have moved without the permission of the league. They just have."

Jones reiterated his stance on a potential move for Kroenke, saying "He can if the league says he can't," and "there are just certain things clubs can do," according to the story."

Edited by Mark F

3 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I dont think that's right. I don't think they can stop an owner from moving a team. The Raiders moved without permission.

Nothing happened.

The Raiders were able to move because they won the right to do so in a court case.   In order for the league to approve the move (ie. not having to take the NFL to court), teams need to get 24 of 32 owners to vote in favour of their proposal.

It would suck to be fans of all 3 of these teams though. The NFL has a Commissioner who cares not one bit for the fans or the game. Only about making himself & the owners as rich as they can. Interesting all 3 of these teams have an historic tie to the Los Angeles area as they all played there at one time or another. The LA Raiders, LA Chargers of the AFL & the LA Rams. I think the LA area has the population to support 3 teams. 

Edited by iso_55

From the web on Kroenke

Kroenke has an estimated net worth of $5.6 billion as of March 2014. His wife Ann Walton Kroenke has an estimated net worth of $4.8 billion as of March 2014. 2001 was the last year he disclosed his ownership of Walmart shares; he was required to disclose his ownership because he was on the board of directors until that year. At that time, he owned 1,081,827 shares individually as well as 61,781,928 indirectly (i.e., with shared voting and investment power). If Stan still owned these combined 62,863,755 shares today, they would be equal to a 1.91% stake in the company.

also seems to own a company that owns other pro sports franchises.

Sports teams

Kroenke Sports Enterprises LLC/Kroenke Sports& Entertainment LLC (1999-present): A large portion of Kroenke’s business is conducted through Kroenke Sports & Entertainment, LLC (KSE), which also does business as Kroenke Sports Enterprises, LLC. Stan Kroenke owns the company, which in turn owns the Denver Nuggets (National Basketball Association), the Colorado Avalanche (National Hockey League), the Colorado Mammoth (National Lacrosse League), and the Colorado Rapids (Major League Soccer). The Nuggets are the 20th most valuable NBA team, worth an estimated $495 million by Forbes in January 2014. The Avalanche is worth an estimated $337 million (as of November 2013).

Because of NFL cross-ownership rules, when Kroenke took over the St. Louis Rams in 2010, he was required to pass on-the-ground control of the Nuggets and the Avalanche to his son Josh Kroenke, and he is required to give up his controlling stake in the teams by 2014.

KSE owns many subsidiaries, including:

• Altitude Sports & Entertainment, created by Kroenke in 2004, a 24-hour regional sports TV network in Colorado that provides coverage of Kroenke’s Colorado teams.
  • Altitude Authentics, the official retail provider for KSE teams, selling team-branded gear for the Nuggets, Avalanche, Mammoth and Rapids.
  • Tickethorse, the official ticket vendor for KSE teams and venues.

Properties owned by KSE include the Pepsi Center (Denver; home to the Nuggets, Avalanche and Mammoth), ****’s Sporting Goods Park (Commerce City, CO; home to the Rapids); and Paramount Theatre, an historic venue in downtown Denver.

St. Louis Rams (1995-present): Kroenke is the sole owner of the National Football League’s St. Louis Rams. He purchased a 40% stake when the team moved to St. Louis in 1995, after having reportedly been involved in convincing the team to move to the city from Los Angeles, and gained control in 2010, when he paid $450 million to the children of Georgia Frontiere (deceased), former 60% owner of the team, for their shares as well as lease of the stadium. The team is worth an estimated $875 million as of August 2013.

Arsenal (2007-present): Kroenke started buying shares of Arsenal, an English Premier League soccer team, in 2007, and acquired a controlling stake in 2011. He currently owns 66.82% of team, and under ownership rules, is required to make a mandatory cash offer for the remaining shares in the near future, though it is unlikely that the minority shareholder will accept the offer. The team is worth an estimated $1.3 billion (as of April 2013).

Real estate ventures

THF Realty (1990-present):  In 1990, Kroenke co-founded THF (“To Have Fun”) Realty, a St. Louis-based real estate development company worth $2 billion, with friend Michael Staenberg. THF owns properties, primarily shopping developments, many of which are home to Walmart stores, in roughly half the states in the US. In 2007, a THF executive stated that 50-60% of the company’s developments had Walmart as a tenant. Kroenke and Staenberg are currently entangled in a legal battle over how to end their business partnership.

http://walmart1percent.org/family-tree/stan-kroenke/

On 13/01/2016 at 11:06 PM, Rod Black said:

Great to see the NFL returning to L.A. I would be so cheesed if I was a St. Louis fan. 

The owner of the Rams, Kroenke, certainly not suffering financially being in St. L. Will have more money than God once the move gets done.

I am a St Louis fan... but since I'm not from St Louis I guess you could more accurately call me a Rams fan... so where they happen to play home games doesn't really bother me...