Mass Shootings San Bernardino

Logan007

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but some Republicans are trying to change the law so people on the no-fly list can still purchase guns. They feel a person with a suspected link to terrorism should still be able to buy a gun. Let that soak in for a moment...

Well no, people on the no-fly list already can buy a gun. Many don't support changing that because the no-fly list they have now is chock full of names put on there by mistake. And I mean chock full.  Plus it's a secret list that the government can just add you to for any reason they feel like.  So you're not exactly getting due process before the government goes ahead and denies you the right to bear arms.

It's interesting how people lost their mind when Trump suggested keeping out Muslim immigrants, yet think it's a great idea to deny thousands of Muslim American citizens (because the list I'm sure is mostly Muslims) their constitutionally protected rights with no due process whatsoever.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but some Republicans are trying to change the law so people on the no-fly list can still purchase guns. They feel a person with a suspected link to terrorism should still be able to buy a gun. Let that soak in for a moment...

Well no, people on the no-fly list already can buy a gun. Many don't support changing that because the no-fly list they have now is chock full of names put on there by mistake. And I mean chock full.  Plus it's a secret list that the government can just add you to for any reason they feel like.  So you're not exactly getting due process before the government goes ahead and denies you the right to bear arms.

It's interesting how people lost their mind when Trump suggested keeping out Muslim immigrants, yet think it's a great idea to deny thousands of Muslim American citizens (because the list I'm sure is mostly Muslims) their constitutionally protected rights with no due process whatsoever.

You'd think people would be more worried about their rights in terms of being allowed to travel freely than buy guns.  If the no-fly list is so arbitrary and absolute, why is that not an issue?

And Trump wasn't talking about immigrants exclusively.  He was talking ALL Muslims...like a Muslim person who is American through and through, in the armed forces, gets posted overseas and whether or not they are allowed back would be scrutinized for no reason other than their religion.

Pretty much everything in the constitution was designed to prevent government over-reach. That's also the whole reason they fought a war and formed their own country.

The U.S. is built with checks and balances so power doesn't get out of control. You're absolutely right when you say the 2nd amendment is there to ensure the people have the means to fight tyranny.

And tyranny appears to be approaching.

'Every now and then the tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants.'

No, tyranny is not approaching. And no, the "people" will not over-throw the government. Its moot.

Anyone pushed far enough will revolt.

I wonder if the French royalty thought as you do before their heads were chopped off.

Pretty much everything in the constitution was designed to prevent government over-reach. That's also the whole reason they fought a war and formed their own country.

The U.S. is built with checks and balances so power doesn't get out of control. You're absolutely right when you say the 2nd amendment is there to ensure the people have the means to fight tyranny.

And tyranny appears to be approaching.

'Every now and then the tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants.'

No, tyranny is not approaching. And no, the "people" will not over-throw the government. Its moot.

Anyone pushed far enough will revolt.

I wonder if the French royalty thought as you do before their heads were chopped off.

Very different time.  Very different place.

Could it happen?  I suppose.  But I have no time for those goofs living in the wild stockpiling masses of weapons waiting for the government to go rogue.  Just not going to happen.  And its a terrible excuse to assert the 2nd Amendment. 

Good.

Get rid of these guns. And anyone who says the law can take it from their cold dead hands, so be it.

The first real sign that tyranny is on the way? A large push to de-weaponize the citizens. Don't believe me? Study history.

I must have missed when Canada devolved into tyranny.

Thats just another excuse for the gun nuts to pretend the 2nd Amendment was about letting them stockpile assault weapons for a war with the government that will never come, nor would they ever win if it did come.  Really, its just silly.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="The Unknown Poster" data-cid="174893" data-time="1450124691"><p><p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="basslicker" data-cid="174891" data-time="1450124579"><p>No, Canada hasn't. ...nor has the government stolen all the guns either.I won't speak for you, but no way would I trust any government to do the right thing or act honestly. People with power can never be trusted fully, let alone to hold all the weapons in a country. Put your trust in men at your peril.Just because we're spoiled in Canada doesn't make us the rule.

So why cant we own rocket launchers or nuclear missiles?  Why have any limitations?

I support rocket launchers for all, including kids, but I draw the line at nuclear missiles. Those should only be given out to Iranian Islamic dictatorships. At least, that's what Obama told me anyway.

Regarding the founding fathers, they wanted the citizens armed to be able to prevent the government from getting out of control. If anything the founding fathers intended people today to have even more powerful weapons. It's not really a fair fight anymore.

Impossible to say. It's more likely they had vision of weapons today and if they did would never want the citizenry to possesses them.

The interpretation of the amendment that it was for the citizenry to act as a militia in the absence of a strong central army is fair.

At the time the Americans expected that the British would re-organize and try to take back the 13 colonies at some point, and so they wanted to make sure every American had a gun and could be mobilized should the British sweep over the border from Canada and start another armed conflict.  Turns out that they were right, as in 1812 war broke out again.  And the British walked into Washington and burned down the president's mansion, but not before eating the dinner that President Madison had left behind when he and his staff fled the city.  The British tried to burn down Washington, but it was saved by a hurricane that put out all of the fires.  Weird eh?

That was only after the Americans made repeated attempts to take Quebec.  Their ultimate goal was to control the entire continent, until they found out Canadians and the British would fight back.

I seem to recall reading the americans struck first in the 1812 war, coming up thru michigan and eventually hitting toronto or the gta that was our capital at the time, so in retaliation we hit Washington

Truth. And overall there was never a clear winner of the war.  But it did lead to the creation of a border in 1818. Fears of American Invasion never really subsided - they were one of the reasons for Confederation and the building of the CPR.