West Division Final - Edmonton whips Calgary

Mr Dee

CFL GAME NOTES:

This week tied a league-record 41st time that the Eskimos will play for a Division title (Toronto also has 41 but of course over a much longer franchise history). This will be the Eskimos’ 30th trip in the “single-game” era (1973-2015) after going to 11 prior “Best of” series from 1950 to 1960.

The Eskimos come into this playoff game riding an 8-game win streak. That is their longest season-ending win streak since 1982.

This meeting marks the first time since 1996 that Edmonton and Calgary will have met two years in a row for the Division playoff title. They met four years in a row from 1990 to 1993, and back-to-back in 1978-79.

Of Calgary’s 33 previous Division Final appearances, 11 have been against the Eskimos and they hold 6-5 edge including the 2014 championship game. This will be the 5th time that Calgary will travel to Edmonton for the West Final – they won in 2001 and 1991, and lost in 1979 and 1978 at Commonwealth Stadium.

Under Coach John Hufnagel, the Stampeders have now reached the West Final in 7 out of his 8 seasons. In Canadian Football history only four coaches have ever gotten to 7 Finals in an 8-year span at any point in their career with a club.

In two season, Coach Jones has guided the Eskimos from a 4-14 season in 2013 to 14 wins a host spot in the West Final. He has led them to a second straight Division Final for the first time since 2003.

EDM TOP of 32:31: Edmonton has not had less than 29:31 of TOP in any of the last 14 games and has averaged 32:31 over that period. They have won the Time of Possession battle in each of their last 6 games.

This week marks just the third career playoff start for Mitchell however he is now 2-0 including last year’s Finals victory against Edmonton (14-of-22 for 336 yards, 4 TDs). He is one of only four Calgary QBs to throw 4 TDs in a single playoff game (Keith Spaith, Danny Barrett, Marcus Crandell & Mitchell). Mitchell has yet to throw a playoff interception in 15 attempts.

This week will be just Reilly’s second ever playoff start after last year’s Final game effort in Calgary. Between Mitchell and Reilly they have just 3 career playoff starts (3 more than last year though when they were both at start #1).

Mike Reilly 300+: Has now led the Eskimos to wins in 8 straight starts, something no Edmonton QB has done since Tracy Ham won 9 in a row across 1989-1990. Over the last 3 games of the regular season, Reilly produced THREE 300-yard games in a row with 7 TD passes, 1,017 yards and 27 completions for 2nd down conversions. He matched his career-best streak of 300-yard games.

4th Quarter Edmonton: The Eskimos have not been outscored in the 4th Quarter in their last 9 games (107-22 scoring edge) or in any of their 14 wins this year. In their 14 wins they are 145-28 (+117) in Q4 scoring, in their 4 losses they have been outscored 29-3. They had two games in 2105 where they outscored their opponent 21-0 in the final 15:00.

#1 vs #2 receiver: The West Final features the Top Two receivers in the CFL in Eric Rogers and Adarius Bowman. The last two times that a Division Final featured the #1 and #2 overall receivers was 2008 – BC vs Calgary (G.Simon and K.Rambo) and in 2002 – Winnipeg vs Edmonton (M.Stegall and T.Vaughn).

Edmonton turnovers: The Eskimos were sitting at -7 and ranked #8 in the CFL through their first games (29 turnovers made, 22 forced). Over their last 10 games (9-1 WL record), they forced 27 turnovers and made only 14 themselves for a +13 Ratio, the best in the CFL over that stretch.

First time ever: This year’s contest marks the first-ever meeting of 14-4 teams in the CFL playoffs and ties the record for most combined wins (28) by division finalists. In 1995, the North Division final featured Calgary (15-3) against Edmonton (13-5) while the 1997 East final had Toronto (15-3) going up against Montreal (13-5).

BTW 53.5% of MBB pick....Edmonton to win.

Just heard Calgary starting two Defensive lineman on their O line.

Bo might have a rough day.

I predict an Edmonton win.

and I don't understand how Calgary, using our former O line coach, can do so well, with so many backups, on their O line.

I also annoys me, that Edmonton is using some of our cast off O lineman, and doing well.

I think the Stamps. patch quilt O-line is going to be their downfall this game.  Could get ugly.

The Bomber brain trust were whining about the effect of all the changes their O-line went through and how it contributed to their downfall, but Calgary's situation was worse and they STILL look and perform better than the Bomber O-line did all year. And we had a vaunted O-line coach, too.

I think the Stamps. patch quilt O-line is going to be their downfall this game.  Could get ugly.

The Bomber brain trust were whining about the effect of all the changes their O-line went through and how it contributed to their downfall, but Calgary's situation was worse and they STILL look and perform better than the Bomber O-line did all year. And we had a vaunted O-line coach, too.

Yup, tells me that it might be a scheme thing.

Yup, tells me that it might be a scheme thing.

Cgy. seems to be competent at pass and run blocking, so you have to wonder why the Bombers can't do either.