Ladd and Buff

Ducky

I seriously question the value of a late first round pick.  When you are trading a player as a rental, it generally goes to a playoff team so the first round pick is in the 16-30 range.  Having more picks is always a good thing but I think people overstate the effect on a team that a pick like that will have.  I would be more aggressively pursuing prospects who are already a year or two into their pro careers so it is less of a crap shoot.  First round pick sounds great but not all first round picks are equal.

Philly is not a playoff team this year if they want Buff they'll wait till the off-season not give up anybody and sign him. TB becomes a instant Stanley Cup contender if they trade for Buff but there cap situation may not allow them to sign Buff long term. Stamkos is key here as he probably goes free agent maybe they can lock up Buff long term maybe Buff doesn't want to play there. TB offers Chevy a 1st round and a B prospect a Ufa Buff is gone. 

Either is possible but I immediately thought it was to make sure Postma was ready for a potential trade himself.

What are the rules around a conditioning stint?  The Jets would have to waive him to send him down otherwise, so how are they able to send him down for "conditioning", how long can he stay and how many times per season can you do that?

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

this is from 2013.

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

this is from 2013.

Thanks, makes sense.  So Postma had to agree.  And I see no reason why he wouldnt.  He must be very frustrated and determined to either show the Jets he can do more or show other teams he's worth trading for,

So can the Jets send Ehlers down for a conditioning stint now that he has a pro-contract?

Postma scored last night... but starting to wonder if continually getting shelled is starting to affect Comrie's confidence...

Time for Claude Noel to come back to the Moose, at least he had a system.

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So can the Jets send Ehlers down for a conditioning stint now that he has a pro-contract?

Postma scored last night... but starting to wonder if continually getting shelled is starting to affect Comrie's confidence...

Time for Claude Noel to come back to the Moose, at least he had a system.

Moose have a veteran back up, dont they?  if they thought Comrie was being shelled, they could change goalies.

Ehlers can still be sent down for a conditioning stint even though he has junior eligibility.  But it would have to be a legitimate reason, not just because he isn't playing well.  It would have to be because he is coming back from an injury or something along those lines.

In 2008, Bogosian (in his rookie year with junior eligibility), he was sent down for conditioning after a broken leg.

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/cheveldayoff-no-room-for-error-in-tight-central-1.421508

interview with Chevy....really doesn't say much in 14 minutes.

If this is from H&L yesterday I heard part of it.  I understand its smart business to say nothing but the interviews are generally worthless.  Chevy wouldnt even concede that other teams are calling about Ladd & Buff.

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

Funny, I listened to this yesterday and thought that for a GM he said a fair bit - not sure what you guys expect.

I thought the comment about the NHL getting younger and teams not wanting to get tied up in 'bad contracts' was pretty telling.

Giving Ladd a contract worth 36 million would be a bad contract in the long term so would giving Buff a contract of 56 million. The dollar continues to drop and revenue will take a hit this year. Bill Daly just said that the Canadian teams portion of revenue sharing is tied to the dollar so i can't see the cap going up significantly. Ladd won't see big free agent dollars considering the year he is having Buff might ,if the Jets still have slightly lower offers on the table they should seriously consider signing.