Ladd and Buff

Ducky

This from LeBrun...

"Speaking of partial no-trade clauses, Dustin Byfuglien has one as well and, as of Tuesday afternoon, has not been asked to supply a list of teams. He might not ever have to if the Winnipeg Jets end up re-signing the pending UFA star blueliner. I don’t think there’s any way Byfuglien signs for any less than five years in length, so I believe the internal debate for Winnipeg is whether it’s comfortable with that term or not. Byfuglien turns 31 on March 27."

So, Chevy must not have many serious trade discussions with him if he hasn't been asked to hand in his list?

Or Chevy won't ask for the list until trade talks really heat up.

If he asks Buff for the list, that usually leaks out, and I don't think Chevy is ready to concede to the media that he is shopping Buff.

Buff and Ladd won't get traded until we are closer to the deadline, so any talks right now are very high level and ball park.

Besides , if he does get traded, it will be to a contender pushing for a run at the cup.  Can't see him turning that down, no matter what team, if he is only going to be committed to playing there for a few months.  

I could see him not wanting to go to Buffalo, but they aren't even close to a playoff picture.

10 minutes ago, Ducky said:

This from LeBrun...

"Speaking of partial no-trade clauses, Dustin Byfuglien has one as well and, as of Tuesday afternoon, has not been asked to supply a list of teams. He might not ever have to if the Winnipeg Jets end up re-signing the pending UFA star blueliner. I don’t think there’s any way Byfuglien signs for any less than five years in length, so I believe the internal debate for Winnipeg is whether it’s comfortable with that term or not. Byfuglien turns 31 on March 27."

So, Chevy must not have many serious trade discussions with him if he hasn't been asked to hand in his list?

As soon as he asks for his list, it's probably "out there".  I imagine they'd get serious with a team or two before asking for the list.

So... does this mean the whole BUFF being shopped to the NYI was just a load of crap then? I would suggest it might just have been. 

One thing I've learned over the years, unless BOB McKenzie seems to suggest it, I don't really believe it. Or Pierre Lebrun and neither suggested it. 

Friedman is a good guy but i think at times, his article (30 thoughts) is just well, his thoughts and they are based on nothing but his thoughts. After all, he does work for Sportsnet and Sportsnet still hasn't really proven to be that reliable in terms of rumors and news. 

Hard to figure how/why Buff would invoke a no-trade clause for a trade where he would have to spend at most three months in the city...

Also strange hearing everyone talk about how Winnipeg can not compete in the UFA market - I remember everyone talking about how much players want to play in the loudest home arena in the league...

11 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Also strange hearing everyone talk about how Winnipeg can not compete in the UFA market - I remember everyone talking about how much players want to play in the loudest home arena in the league...

I've never heard people talk like this.

I think it has been generally acknowledged by Jets fans that we won't be a prime destination for FAs, especially while the club doesn't have a good record of making it to the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

I've never heard people talk like this.

I think it has been generally acknowledged by Jets fans that we won't be a prime destination for FAs, especially while the club doesn't have a good record of making it to the playoffs.

Not saying Winnipeg is a preferred destination like Chicago or LA but I would think its on par with Phoenix, Islanders...

Something to keep in mind here and this is important for sure... the canadian dollar is worth let's say 70 cents US, it's actually less i think but let's just round up..

You give Buff 9 million a year, that's american dollars, That's over 10 damn near 11 or 12 million CDN... That's not gonna happen. 

Make no mistake about it the Canadian Dollar is going to be a big factor for all Canadian teams , if it goes any lower i can see the salary cap staying  where it is.  A lot of the NHL revenue comes from the Canadian teams  and the dollar is going to hurt there bottom line if it stays low for the next few years.

The salary cap might even go down.. Buff isn't getting 40 million over 5 years. It just won't happen. He's gonna be dealt, that's elite player money, Buff is not elite, Elite players make differences game in game out, Buff takes 2 many nights off in my opinion. He's actually part of the problem in my opinion. 

I've heard a lot of different numbers as it pertains to Buff and not one term and dollars has made me say lets sign him.  If he played with the passion and heart of a guy like Wheeler and with his talent he would be worth every penny of what he is asking for, but he doesn't . This team is no closer to competing for a playoff spot every year  is they resign him and i think Chevy knows this.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

The salary cap might even go down.. Buff isn't getting 40 million over 5 years. It just won't happen. He's gonna be dealt, that's elite player money, Buff is not elite, Elite players make differences game in game out, Buff takes 2 many nights off in my opinion. He's actually part of the problem in my opinion. 

I'm not debating if he is a part of a problem but there are quite a few teams that would line up to give him a 5 year contract for 8 per. He will get 7+ a year for 7 years on the open market. Do you know how much teams like Detroit and Florida covet him? I would say off of the top of my head that there are at least 6 teams that would give him 50 over 7 years to morrow if they could.

Let me ask another question, who is going to make up Buff's 24 minutes of time (not to mention his points) if/when he is gone? I think if Trouba and Myers picked up another 3 minutes a game, that would be tops.

On a sidenote, maybe that is why Postma is on the farm getting some time?

you give him 9m because present money is worth more than future money and this helps him re-sign a shorter contract...in year 5 he is making 7m and in 2021 a dollar isn't near what it is worth today. Also, I have no doubt Buff will play 5 good years of hockey yet.

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

Hard to figure how/why Buff would invoke a no-trade clause for a trade where he would have to spend at most three months in the city...

That's also a good point. Especially if it's a team that will make the playoffs.  But it's happened before where a player selfishly refuses to let his team recoup something for him as a rental. 

This is what I would do if I were Chevy...I realize you don't do this overnight but it needs to be done by the start of the next season.

Players out...........Ladd (not worth near what he is asking for), Myers (ya, I know, great contract, young, potential, blah blah blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is he is our 3rd best RHD and would bring back a lot) , Stuart, Burmistrov, Thorburn, Peluso, picks and prospects. I realize some of these players won't bring back much but you get what you can for them and package them up with other players in deals. Ladd and Stuart at the TD to Montreal for example. Probably get back 2 good prospects and a 1st rounder while dumping over 8.5m per year. Myers and Petan and a 1st for a really good LHD...something like that for example.

Players in.............1LHD (I'm ok with Enstrom the 2LHD with Trouba or Buff for two more years and hope that Morrissey takes his place when Enstrom's contract expires), a good 3RHD and a solid 3rd line checking LW (that doesn't want 6m a year). 4th line help.

First, I sign Buff. 2nd I get Armia and Ehlers on the 1st and 2nd line for the rest of the season and take a good hard look at them on the PP and/or PK, that is where they are projected to play so take a good hard look at them there.. We will suck but also get a better draft pick. I'd also give Morrissey a look with the Jets before the season is over. As soon as I can, I re-sign Perreault for 4 years, sign Lowry, Scheif and Trouba to 2 year bridge deals. Also re-sign Staf for 3 years and Hellebuyck to 2 year bridge deal if their good play holds up. Also, give Copp a look on the PK.

Little, Wheeler, Scheif, Perreault, Ehlers and Armia doesn't sound too shabby for the top 6 for the rest of the season does it?

3rd line solid checking LW with Lowry and Staf should do fine on the 3rd.

Copp will need wingers on the 4th and Burmi might be okay there but I would rather move him out and bring in Lipon or Lemieux or Olsen or someone.

Edited by Ducky