Ladd and Buff

Ducky

17 minutes ago, Ducky said:

http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/

hahahahahahahaha

You gotta check out Ladd's response to a question at 2:30 on this video today. She asks if he would still like to sign with the Jets long term. After he answers, check out his expression.

hahahahahahhaha

Going to be a bit unfortunate to trade him when he wants to be here long term. Too bad he won't take a more reasonable contract 

56 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I wonder if Tampa could be a good fit for Ladd.  Lightening are a playoff team that needs to deal with Drouin and Stamkos.  ladd is the type of player that could help them out significantly as a playoff contender.

What do you all think a Ladd/Drouin deal looks like?

As a rental I might see it but they are at the limit with the cap and need to do something with Stamkos if they want Ladd long term....

I don't see them as the best trade partners but anything could happen.

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

As a rental I might see it but they are at the limit with the cap and need to do something with Stamkos if they want Ladd long term....

I don't see them as the best trade partners but anything could happen.

I guess it comes down to what they want to do.  if they keep Stamkos and flip Drouin for some help and try to make a run, then great.  But then they risk losing Stamkos for nothing.  if they trade Stamkos to a contender, they get back picks and prospects and then seem unlikely to make a run.  But perhaps they'd see Ladd as good enough to help them make the playoffs without Stamkos and more likely to sign Ladd.  Hard to say really.

But I;d love to add Drouin to the pieces we already have here.

All this chitter chatter about the Jets moving away from ladd and onto Buff, yet supposedly neither is available via trade, got me thinking.

Perhaps the Jets feel they have whittled Ladd down to his bare minimum.  And perhaps Ladd conceded some money and/or term given his play and the Free Agent landscape.  Maybe the Jets called his bluff on how much he wants to stay here and got him down considerably.

So they then turn to Buff to see how low they can nickel and dime him.  And then spend February deciding whether to sign those deals for both or choose one and trade the other.  It just seems odd to hear "contract talks broken off" and yet also hear "Player isnt available". 

Kings don't have a first round pick so they'd have to offer something significant. Dallas being in the same division. Have to be significant also. 1st which will be late... Honka probably and maybe Nichuskin who is rumored to being shopped. 

Edited by Goalie

http://www.tsn.ca/trade-talk-could-pavelec-be-on-the-move-1.431996

Pavs to Calgary? Say it ain't so Joe!

"Winnipeg Jets goaltender Ondrej Pavelec has been out since Nov. 21 with a sprained knee. In his absence, Connor Hellebuyck has done a solid job for the Jets. With Pavelec nearing a return and Hellebuyck likely slated to get a number of starts in the near future, Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun wonders if the Jets would consider shopping Pavelec before the Trade Deadline. The 29-year-old has a cap hit of $3.9 million this year and next, a lot of cash for a goalie who might be playing backup minutes. Wiebe thinks the Calgary Flames might be viable trade partners as both Jonas Hiller and Karri Ramo are unrestricted free-agents come July 1. The Jets would likely have to take back Hiller (and a draft pick) in a deal, says Wiebe, but would clear $4 million in cap space, possibly aiding the pursuit of signing  Dustin Byfuglien or Andrew Ladd to extensions. "

I wonder how high of a pick they could get?

Dollars and sense wise, this would pretty much be a wash for the Jets for the rest of the season.  Pavelec makes $4.25M this season and $4.75M next season ($3.9M cap hit).    Hiller makes $4.5M

It would be nice to get Pavelec off the books for next year.     No way Calgary trades their 1st for Pavelec, especially with where they are sitting in the standings.  Could you get a 2nd or 3rd?

Could you then flip Hiller to a playoff team who might need a decent backup, especially if you retain some salary?