Ladd and Buff

Ducky

On January 15, 2016 at 0:46 PM, Goalie said:

Trouba has off ice issues, People can believe what they want but... this stuff isn't made up at all. It's widely known by many people that Trouba has his off ice issues, some seem to think as much as some want him to be that #1 franchise D guy, he never will be because his off ice commitment is lacking. Doughty and true Franchise D men don't have that issue, Trouba does, it might just be a phase and perhaps one day he takes his off ice stuff seriously but he hasn't yet. The guy looked like he was skating in quicksand to start the year, that's a sign that you are out of shape, that you didn't take your off-season as seriously as you could have.

Doughty's conditioning was a concern when he started and he has had his share of off ice issues... check the internet.

On 1/17/2016 at 11:22 AM, Goalie said:

I don't think it's as simple as yes or no. I think him being a friend of Troubas played a role in why he was drafted. 

Chase De Leo is a solid player, but did we take an extra long look because we already had Petan (teammate) and Comrie (friend)?  

As you say; certainly not the determining factor, but it helps.

35 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'd like to know how everyone knows who everyone else is friends with, and why that matters.

This is one of the best two part question I've ever seen you ask.

There's lots of factors to take into consideration, but this focus of friendship ties as key criteria for drafting players holds very little credence for me.

If our GM, or any other GM, uses friendship ties as key criteria for drafting players they then have much bigger issues to deal with imo.

23 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

This is one of the best two part question I've ever seen you ask.

There's lots of factors to take into consideration, but this focus of friendship ties as key criteria for drafting players holds very little credence for me.

If our GM, or any other GM, uses friendship ties as key criteria for drafting players they then have much bigger issues to deal with imo.

Good thing no one here is suggesting that.

Ladd pretty much admits the off-season surgery has slowed him down and he is just back to normal. I'm glad to hear his play is due to a long rehabilitation and not to him losing his game because some games he was in this season, he wasn't in this season.

He's asked about his health in today's interview with him around the 2:40 mark.

http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/

The latest buzz making its way around the rinks is that Byfuglien would cost the Washington Capitals a "significant" price.

Elliott Friedman spoke on Sportsnet 960 and he believes the Capitals are going all in this year, and are setting their sights high. And they "appear" to be looking at Byfuglien.

Advantage Cheveldayoff.

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

The latest buzz making its way around the rinks is that Byfuglien would cost the Washington Capitals a "significant" price.

Elliott Friedman spoke on Sportsnet 960 and he believes the Capitals are going all in this year, and are setting their sights high. And they "appear" to be looking at Byfuglien.

Advantage Cheveldayoff.

Problem is that Washington would mean a 30th overall pick...  that's not much trade bait to start, you'd have to get Bowey in the deal, maybe Barber as well

Lawless is hinting that the Jets have turned their attention away from Ladd and to Buff.  They met with Buff's people last week in Minnesota.  I believe the numbers he said were 5 years, $7.5M.

To me, resigning Buff has a lot of implications.  I find it difficult to believe the Jets would allow such a high percentage of team salary to go to D, so you'd have to expect a shoe to drop somewhere. 

Its possible they get Trouba on a bridge deal and simply accept that they will be paying a ton for D.  In two years, move away from Toby and his salary and re-sign Trouba long term with him penciled in as the #1 LHD.  That would be be Trouba-Buff and Morrissey-Myers.

If they keep everyone, it's

Trouba-Buff

Toby-Myers

Morrissey-Stuart/Chiarot

Which is cool.  But a lot of money.  And then the X factor of Hamonic seems all but a certainty to *not* be a Jet.  I suppose Myers' diminishing contract could be a bonus in this expensive D scenario too....

On the Ladd front, with him openly addressing the injury and his difficulty in over-coming it, it makes me wonder if he's resigned to the fact he needs to take less.  Even if he was leaving, it seems odd to admit he's having trouble coming back from the injury.  Would Ladd take a shorter deal to stay and prove he can get back to his old self?