Around the NHL

I can't find a video of it but they were talking about this on the morning show.  Apparently the video angle from the other direction shows he didn't see the ref until the very last second.  It was almost as if he was mad about being checked or whatever right before and didn't even realize that was the ref there.

The other interesting point is that there was no penalty or game misconduct called on the ice which would typically happen and force a review.

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

Interesting breakdown on the Wideman cross check from Kerry Fraser.

www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-a-former-nhl-official-s-take-on-the-wideman-incident-1.429965

Great summation.  Watching it again, Wideman's actions immediately before the hit seem to indicate surprise that there is a person in front of him even though it seems almost unbelievable that he didnt see him.  But his "finishing" the contact was deliberately.  10 games at least.

Only Wideman know's if he did this on purpose watching the game live it looked like a accident but when you look at it in slow motion after he gets hit he's dazed, gets up on his skates smacks his stick onto the ice goes along the boards hits the linesman with arms extended. Still can't assume he did it on purpose though. As for Wheeler go for him tell the NHL to stick there farce of an allstar game.

Another interesting article from a guy who both played and reffed the game with experiences on both sides.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul-Stewart/No-Sympathy----But-Some-Empathy----for-Wideman/196/74359

He never expands on this tidbit, but I'd love to hear the story about when he was punched by fans in Winnipeg.  As much as I've been mad enough off at refs, that is a ridiculous thing to do.

There were several incidents where I was the victim of the abuse. That does not even count a time in the AHL where I met Andre Savard under the stands to settle our differences and Savard landed a good one. It also doesn't count being punched by fans in Winnipeg in the NHL and Moncton in the AHL.