Around the NHL

16 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I think he did alright with the Good & Bad but the Ugly is a reach.  No one ever won the cup signing Stemp and Tlusty.  its just a myth that the Jets failed by not keeping those guys.  I thin they gambled that the youth movement would allow them to make the playoffs again (or be close enough that Chevy could bring in some help at the deadline) but I also dont think the fact it didnt work out that way is a huge surprise.  I think Jets management is able to separate emotion from this and realise competing every year is better than blowing our wad this year.

And you cant grade Chevy on the Ladd & Buff situation until it's resolved.  Period.

Mostly agree on the ugly. Rookies should earn their spots not given them like Copp was this year. Tlusty I could care less about but as we had what seemed like an entire thread already on Frolik, you sign your UFA's by the trade deadline or u trade them.

The Jets excuse this year for not making the playoffs will no doubt be the injury to Pavelec but even before the injury we were not a playoff team.

Bettman, otherwise known as "the Big Short", gets an contract extension. hooray...

- The Bettman contract extension should mean he'll have more career earnings than any NHL player who played under his watch. #nocommishcap - Chris Cuthbert

"Only Bettman could have led the NHL to record revenues in an era where literally every sport has record revenues."- @ DownGoesBrown

Edited by Mr Dee

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If anyone thinks Bettman is out to get Canadian teams they need counselling.  If I'm on the BOD, I ask Bettman to stay. 

Gary Bettman has given the cup to a Canadian team once and even then that was just half year on the job. Bettman pretty much responsible for the death of the hockey in Canada for a decade+.

One has nothing to do with the other. Canadian teams make up 2 of the top 10 spenders and 3 of the top 15.   Thats 20%. 

Canadian teams make up 23% of the teams. 

Seems about right to me.  They seem to compete on dollars spent. 

It isn't his fault the Canadian teams haven't managed themselves well.  

Also Vancouver made the finals once as did Calgary.  Bad luck they didn't win the cup.  But the numbers don't seem that far out of whack.  There are just way more American teams than Canadian.  

43 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Gary Bettman has given the cup to a Canadian team once and even then that was just half year on the job. Bettman pretty much responsible for the death of the hockey in Canada for a decade+.

This is absurd. Just absolutely laughably Absurd.  

Gary Bettman picks the winner of the cup? Lol right. 

id go so far as to say Bettman was a leading reason as to how the jets returned. So this idea of Bettman as an evil person out to ruin the game is just completely moronic. 

My biggest beef with Bettman is that he wanted salaries to go up when he became commish and allowed the league to turn into MLB where the team with most money won.

Im not saying he's picking the winner. Who saying that? 2x4 to that persons head.

I am saying for a good decade+ Canadian teams had NO CHANCE to win and he and a number of USA teams were the reason for that.

40 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

My biggest beef with Bettman is that he wanted salaries to go up when he became commish and allowed the league to turn into MLB where the team with most money won.

Im not saying he's picking the winner. Who saying that? 2x4 to that persons head.

I am saying for a good decade+ Canadian teams had NO CHANCE to win and he and a number of USA teams were the reason for that.

I'm pretty sure he would have been happy to keep salaries low so the owners could pocket more money. 

He grew revenues, which is the job of any CEO (or commissioner) which in turn made the NHLPA ask for a bigger piece of the pie. 

Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver (half the Canadian teams) have always been among the highest paid salaries in the league. 

It isn't his fault they don't use their cap money wisely. 

In fact it was Bettman who brought the salary cap in which made it feasible for the Jets to return and levelled the playing field for all teams . 

If they spend the same as everyone else, it is the GMs fault they don't win, not Bettmans  

3 hours ago, Rich said:

One has nothing to do with the other. Canadian teams make up 2 of the top 10 spenders and 3 of the top 15.   Thats 20%. 

Canadian teams make up 23% of the teams. 

Seems about right to me.  They seem to compete on dollars spent. 

It isn't his fault the Canadian teams haven't managed themselves well.  

Also Vancouver made the finals once as did Calgary.  Bad luck they didn't win the cup.  But the numbers don't seem that far out of whack.  There are just way more American teams than Canadian.  

You forgot Edmonton in 2006 and Ottawa in 2007.  Canada's had its chances to win the Cup, we've just choked when we've had the chance.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

You made the point that he only handed the cup to a Canadian team once as if it's his choice or he's happy about it. 

The Canadian teams being healthy is very important to the NHL and Bettman knows that probably moreso than some of his owners. 

He was hired to grow revenue and expand the league. Which he did. He grew revenues massively and brought in cost certainty. He also got revenue sharing which the powerful owners didn't want as well as currency mitigation. He moved a big market US team to the smallest market in the league and in Canada.  He's got Quebec as a bonafide contender to get a team. 

The anti Bettman stuff is funny when it comes to fans always hating the commissioner but when people try to have serious discussions about it it's just silly. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Did watch the first game in the allstar thingy but that was it. How Buff do?

I still think that if they want it to mean something they should give the winning conference 4/7 Cup games.

I actually enjoyed it.  I also found the skills competition somewhat funny and sort of interesting too.  A few of the players hammed it up and made it fun.  This was awesome though, icing on the cake:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=800494&navid=DL|NHL|home

Kudos to the Nashville fans for selecting John Scott as MVP, and for lustily booing Gary Bettman.   

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=941105

It's too bad that the CBC rushed to end their broadcast so quickly.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Man. Plus 30 to minus 10 hurts but whatever lol. Never watched the game bug good for Scott.  As for the suggestion to make the winning team or conference... give them 4 of 7 games in the final. Not gonna happen ever. Would be ridiculous if an 8th place eastern team had home advantage over a 1st place western team.  Owners will never allow it. All star game means nothing... always has and always will. Guys aren't going to risk injuries mid season. All star hockey Is not even hockey really. It's a bunch of guys trying to not get hurt. Rightfully so. Imagine buff getting hurt... would be devestating in a game that means nothing and almost seems rigged. It is what it is. It's a showcase of basically rich guys trying to not get hurt. Couldn't imagine a player being injured in a game like this. No contact. No penalties.  Not even much effort in reality.  Only guys who try a little are the goalies. The rest are just there cuz they have to be. Honestly I think if they stopped doing the all star game and just have the teams 5 or 6 days off instead.... nobody would care that there was no all star game 

Edited by Goalie