Around the NHL

On 2/6/2016 at 2:28 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Great point Goalie. Edmonton ignored D. They could be a lot further ahead. Then again they got McDavid. Jets are bigger and tougher. If both teams become contenders around the same time I like our ad and goalies for the win. 

I wouldn't say they ignored the D.  At least they haven't through the draft where defense has made up about 35% of their draft picks over the last 10 years.  

They've just drafted really really  sh***y!   If you look at their draft record since 2005, only Klefbom, Nurse & Jeff Petry play in the NHL regularly out of 21 picks, and they don't have Petry anymore.  The majority of the other picks either never made it to the NHL or only played a couple games.  

Having said that,  outside of 2009, where they picked Paajarvi over Ryan Ellis, they picked the right guys (at the time) with their 1st pick.

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I wouldn't say they ignored the D.  At least they haven't through the draft where defense has made up about 35% of their draft picks over the last 10 years.  

They've just drafted really really  sh***y!   If you look at their draft record since 2005, only Klefbom, Nurse & Jeff Petry play in the NHL regularly out of 21 picks, and they don't have Petry anymore.  The majority of the other picks either never made it to the NHL or only played a couple games.  

Having said that,  outside of 2009, where they picked Paajarvi over Ryan Ellis, they picked the right guys (at the time) with their 1st pick.

I feel like its more their development system...  They HAD to take RNH, David Musil was not a bad pick, they ruined SChultz and Petry - Nurse, Klefbom and Reinhart should work out

Yakupov over Murray was a big mistake.

My Leafs co workers are jumping for joy....  apparently they are not retaining any salary at all either.   

From the more knowledgeable hockey guys in the office it seems like this trade was great for the Leafs since they will likely re-trade some of the guys they got for more prospects and they unload that awful contract.     The Sens lose a better stay at home d-man and take on a crappy contract on a player who is rapidly diminishing.