Lawless: Chill Out, Let Miller & Co Do Their Jobs

Noeller

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Dont-put-a-stopwatch-on-Miller-Time-326774901.html

Wade Miller doesn’t need the job. Which in the end may enable him to do it properly.

The CEO of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers could clean his desk out at Investors Group Field tomorrow and move back to Pinnacle or one of his other businesses. He doesn’t need the paycheque and has other interests to keep him busy. This isn’t to say he doesn’t want the job. He does. And he wants to be successful, returning the Bombers to a position of relevance in the CFL.

But he won’t do it dancing to someone else’s tune. He can’t. It doesn’t work that way in pro football — or any business. Too many cooks, as they say. Or in the case of the Bombers — too many passionate observers.

Miller doesn’t have to take advice from a well-meaning but misinformed booster. He doesn’t have to allow the now mounting pressure from fans or his board of directors to influence his decisions.

He can quite confidently say, "I’m doing it my way and if you don’t like that — go find someone else."

A loss in Saturday’s Banjo Bowl will very likely signify the end of any playoff hopes for this season and put Miller in the latest of tough spots.

Hey, maybe if they fall to 3-8, the Bombers will find a way to win six of their last seven and get to nine wins which may or may not qualify them for the post-season. But the more realistic guess is they’ll be toast and thoughts will once again have to turn to next season.

The clamour for change will hit new heights and Winnipeg the football market will become a crucible.

Miller has lots of qualifications for the job he holds but his ability to be impenetrable and above the whims of others may be the most important.

It may save the organization from yet another in a series of inglorious gaffes. From a continuation of poor hirings and quick firings which has kept this team championship-less for 25 years. From changing direction well before it’s clear they’re headed to the wrong destination.

Fans are already staying away from the stadium. The ultimate pressure — a drop in revenue will soon be on Miller’s doorstep. The board will have questions and in the past it’s right about now when they’ve wanted to be involved in providing the answers.

Less than two seasons into a fresh start program, people will want to hit the ejector seat button and start anew. It’s more difficult to continue on a path — even one facing challenges — and let people complete the tasks as put forth in a plan. Historically the Bombers have taken the easy way out. We know what that’s gotten this city’s football fans.

It may prove the planners are flawed and indeed misplaced, but it’s too early to reach that conclusion. Miller knows this.

Will he lie down in front of his office door and tell his board they’ll need to fire him in order to get to his football operations staff?

This is where it gets tricky in Bomberland. Where a volunteer board with no football administration experience gets involved in decisions from which they should be kept away. In the past they couldn’t help themselves and had to put their fingers in the pie.

They got it right when they hired Miller and board chair Brock Bulbuck promised his group would be hands-off. Now it’s time to stick to those vows. That part of the process is more important than the results of today.

Same old Bombers, you say? Attempting to influence or even removing Miller would truly be the same old Bombers. The board-influenced Bombers that fired Cal Murphy, gave Jeff Reinebold and Mike Kelly the keys to the kingdom, allowed Brendan Taman to be forced out, hired Joe Mack, extended Joe Mack, fired Paul LaPolice, installed Garth Buchko and oversaw a stadium file riddled with ineptitude.

Letting the CEO do his job and allowing him to let GM Kyle Walters and head coach Mike O’Shea continue with their plan would actually represent true change and offer hope that a new day is actually upon the Blue Bombers.

Two years isn’t enough time to turn around a professional sports franchise.

Miller has held strong on the football operations end of things to date. He hired Walters and he was involved in the process of selecting and courting O’Shea. These are his guys. He wants them to succeed. Left to his own devices, Miller will let this duo return for next year.

It’s impossible to predict what will happen next season with this team. Walters has improved the roster but he hasn’t had time to create depth. The point of Walters’ plan was to build an organization with depth and the ability to overcome injuries and the loss of talent due to free agency. To construct a scouting department which constantly churns out useful players. To hire a coach who would grow with the team and eventually take them to a Grey Cup. And then another. And another. To win championships and be a perennial contender.

From the beginning, he said it would take time. Winnipeg loved the sound of it when Walters first spoke as GM and laid out his scheme. But now, with the pain of potentially missing the playoffs once again taking hold, many in Bombers nation have developed short memories. Or they ignored the bit about time all along.

Maybe the guy in the luxury suite with purple teeth after a few too many glasses of pinot noir should be heard and his words acted upon. Perhaps the person in line at the Rum Hut sporting a paper bag has all the answers.

Or maybe it’s time to give people a real opportunity to do their job. Maybe Miller Time should be judged with a dispassionate eye and not a stopwatch.

That's a well written and fair article that Mr. Lawless took the time to put out for the masses. It's a reminder to step back, remember the whys of the hirings, and, while still being passionate, understand the process. Quite the Bomber Booster right there. Thanks for taking the time to paste it Noeller.

Okay, let's revisit this if we go 3-15 & see if Lawless feels the same about letting these same guys keep doing their jobs. There'll be 15,000 people in the stands next year & the Bombers will be bleeding red ink. But hey, Miller doesn't need the job as he has a business empire so he can just walk away if he shits the bed as President & the team is nearly bankrupt. Somehow knowing that doesn't make me feel as good as Lawless does about Miller being in control. 

Okay, let's revisit this if we go 3-15 & see if Lawless feels the same about letting these same guys keep doing their jobs. There'll be 15,000 people in the stands next year & the Bombers will be bleeding red ink. But hey, Miller doesn't need the job so he can just walk away if he shits the bed as President & the team is nearly bankrupt. Somehow knowing that doesn't make me feel as good as Lawless does about Miller being in control. 

Is there any team president that "needs the job?"  Pretty ridiculous thing to pick on.

They aren't ex-cons stocking shelves in a grocery store.

So you guys think the Bombers would be better off if they fired Miller and/or O'Shea right now?

This team has been firing coaches and GMs every 2 years for a while now, and it hasn't worked so far. Maybe it's time to keep one for a while and see if letting the guy get some experience works better.

OR, just hire someone with prior experience in the job for once.

Okay, let's revisit this if we go 3-15 & see if Lawless feels the same about letting these same guys keep doing their jobs. There'll be 15,000 people in the stands next year & the Bombers will be bleeding red ink. But hey, Miller doesn't need the job so he can just walk away if he shits the bed as President & the team is nearly bankrupt. Somehow knowing that doesn't make me feel as good as Lawless does about Miller being in control. 

Is there any team president that "needs the job?"  Pretty ridiculous thing to pick on.

They aren't ex-cons stocking shelves in a grocery store.

Lawless mentions this as he thinks it's important so his comment is fair game. It's basically the whole premise of his story. Miller can walk away right back into his other businesses so he won't be pushed around. Even to the Board he answers too. 

So you guys think the Bombers would be better off if they fired Miller and/or O'Shea right now?

This team has been firing coaches and GMs every 2 years for a while now, and it hasn't worked so far. Maybe it's time to keep one for a while and see if letting the guy get some experience works better.

Your last point I agree with. 

Which severely limits your options, basically to people who nobody wants.  Generally people with opportunities for other jobs have been saying thanks but no thanks when the Bombers put together their shortlist in the last decade because of how dysfunctional the organization has been.

Which severely limits your options, basically to people who nobody wants.  Generally people with opportunities for other jobs have been saying thanks but no thanks when the Bombers put together their shortlist in the last decade because of how dysfunctional the organization has been.

We have no idea who Miller talked to as GM before he hired Walters as it's a secret list so I don't necessarily buy that theory hook, line & sinker. How many teams act "functional" when things go bad? The Riders, now there's an example of functionality. The Als with Jim Popp firing assistants & head coaches every 15 months? And Popp now a fourth time interim head coach? BC with Wally gutting Mike Benevides publicly? Yeah, all CFL teams except us are "functional" when it comes to losing football games. 

Yeah well if "little" Wade is all mad and whatnot then there is a real simple cure. Put a winning team on the field. So far he and his crew haven't shown me they are capable of doing that. This is the CFL in the 2000's Wade building a team means you get progressively better not fundamentally worse. All I have seen from you is you improving your wardrobe from that money (of mine which I do not have to give you I might add and have to ask why I do give it to you when you basically field a collosially unentertaining team on the field).

Thank your monkey Gary he pretty much just gave me the motivation NOT to renew next year.

Yeah well if "little" Wade is all mad and whatnot then there is a real simple cure. Put a winning team on the field. So far he and his crew haven't shown me they are capable of doing that. This is the CFL in the 2000's Wade building a team means you get progressively better not fundamentally worse. All I have seen from you is you improving your wardrobe from that money (of mine which I do not have to give you I might add and have to ask why I do give it to you when you basically field a collosially unentertaining team on the field).

Thank your monkey Gary he pretty much just gave me the motivation NOT to renew next year.

Holy Christ...you're right!! Why did nobody think of that?

It was a good article to some extent. The question is as it is in any business how long do you go with a deficit (in this case wins vs. losses) before you make the decision that change is needed? 2-3-5 years? What will really determine how long Wade Miller is given is the season ticket count in 2016. And it is the "guy in the luxury suite with purple teeth after a few too many glasses of pinot noir " that has forked over the dough to keep Miller and company in business.

Only time will tell. But if at the end of the year the Big Blue Experiment ends with a 3-15 or 4-14 record with no foreseeable uptick in fortunes the "guy in the luxury suite with purple teeth after a few too many glasses of pinot noir" will not be an issue - he will just not be there!

Dragon37

But you completely or conveniently, missed the message.

If it's so easy or just an afterthought then why hasn't it happened?

I GOT the message. Believe me, I did. This clown show will be allowed to continue because they need more time. Well, I'm a fan so I'll just have to put up with it. I have no control over what the Bombers do. Doesn't mean I have to like it. But I'll still be there for this team no matter what (sigh). Just get numb after awhile as reality stares me in the face. I was 35 years old the last time the Bombers won a Grey Cup. Most of  you guys have never experienced the thrill of a championship run which is a real shame. It's awesome. It's special & something you never forget as a fan. I just hope I live long enough to experience my favourite team win another. If they do, I'll never take it for granted. Ever. 

Clearly not the trained monkeys running the team right now.

"It was the best of times... it was the blurst of times?!!"

"You stupid monkey!"

Dragon37

Yep don't care. Tired of rearranging my life to go watch a team spinning it wheels.

I GOT the message. Believe me, I did. This clown show will be allowed to continue because they need more time. Well, I'm a fan so I'll just have to put up with it. I have no control over what the Bombers do. Doesn't mean I have to like it. But I'll still be there for this team no matter what (sigh).

Hey, that's some of the content, but not the message.

I GOT the message. Believe me, I did. This clown show will be allowed to continue because they need more time. Well, I'm a fan so I'll just have to put up with it. I have no control over what the Bombers do. Doesn't mean I have to like it. But I'll still be there for this team no matter what (sigh).

Hey, that's some of the content, but not the message.

What happened to my post you quoted? It's gone!