Depth Chart vs Calgary

TrueBlue

It's hard to have confidence in O'Shea when he consistently makes the wrong roster decisions.

Wrong to whom? The fans? We can criticize all we want and have our reasons for doing so, but we aren't in any position to say his roster moves are wrong, or right.
I don't think I know more about football than MOS but evaluation of performance isn't as hard as you make it out to be. He deserves to be questioned.

Question O'Shea all you want. Evaluation of players doesn't start and stop with just what you've seen on TV and at the games. There's a lot you don't see, unless you're at every practice and in the meetings.

I hate that rationale. It's apparent that O'Shea is stubborn, sticks with players far too long and has terrible roster management.

So what you are saying is the characteristic that makes the coach appealing to players is his fatal flaw. So I saw a coach a couple of years ago who constantly threw his players under the bus and never took responsibility for being over his head.

Festering locker room was the result.

So a coach who is all about maintain evenness, professionalism and gradual improvement should start pulling a player off the scrap heap and throw him into fire. That sounds like a desperation move. Oh sure I know you are going to say this is desperate times. I say no way. Things are getting better if you subtract the terrible injuries. Only Hamilton looks really good this year and they just lost to Montreal who just tossed their coach. The bombers are not great but no team is great this year.

It is not impossible for Calgary to get beat Saturday. I don't know if I would have said that last year and for sure not the year before.

Wonderful post. I mean you totally botched the quote format but I like what you're saying.

It's hard to have confidence in O'Shea when he consistently makes the wrong roster decisions.

Wrong to whom? The fans? We can criticize all we want and have our reasons for doing so, but we aren't in any position to say his roster moves are wrong, or right.
I don't think I know more about football than MOS but evaluation of performance isn't as hard as you make it out to be. He deserves to be questioned.

Question O'Shea all you want. Evaluation of players doesn't start and stop with just what you've seen on TV and at the games.  There's a lot you don't see, unless you're at every practice and in the meetings.

I hate that rationale. It's apparent that O'Shea is stubborn, sticks with players far too long and has terrible roster management. 

So what you are saying is the characteristic that makes the coach appealing to players is his fatal flaw. So I saw a coach a couple of years ago who constantly threw his players under the bus and never took responsibility for being over his head.

So a coach who is all about maintain evenness, professionalism and gradual improvement should start pulling a player off the scrap heap and throw him into fire. That sounds like a desperation move. Oh sure I know you are going to say this is desperate times. I say no way. Things are getting better if you subtract the terrible injuries. Only Hamilton looks really good this year and they just lost to Montreal who just tossed their coach. The bombers are not great but no team is great this year. 

It is not impossible for Calgary to get beat Saturday. I don't know if I would have said that last year and for sure not the year before. 

There's a significant difference you need to learn when it comes to throwing players under the bus in the media and holding players accountable for their actions and play. 

Bob Irving @BobIrvingCJOB

Jasper Simmons won't be making his blue bomber debut Saturday--not ready yet. Dom Picard may or may not play vs stamps.

There is still a chance for Simmons to meet his former team, we play the Stamps one more time in Week 14.

Simmons had one day of reps with the defense.  I don't think we'd activate him just to play on ST.

He wasn't deemed good enough to play ST in Calgary. You have to ask yourself why?

Question O'Shea all you want. Evaluation of players doesn't start and stop with just what you've seen on TV and at the games.  There's a lot you don't see, unless you're at every practice and in the meetings.

There's a significant difference you need to learn when it comes to throwing players under the bus in the media and holding players accountable for their actions and play. 

Is cutting or sitting a player the only way to hold them accountable?

some people seem to think if it doesn't happen infront of cameras/microphones or on twitter it means nothing is happening at all.....

I think that Simmons is being over rated by many on this forum. Last year in Orrawa he was the best of a very bad lot, but it's pretty obvious that on a team with talent he is depth. Hopefully, he can play himself onto the 44 man and help us down the stretch, but people shouldn't be crying foul because he hasn't done so in his first week.

Good point, 

I just think this is a special situation that requires an exception to the normal protocol.

I just think we could take advantage of this situation for one game against one of the best teams in the league where we let Simmons freelance on his former team. Historically we sometimes see players kick it into another gear when they play their former team in such a short turnaround where things are still festering fresh. Ultimately, big picture, what's the risk? He sucks, okay, we put him back on the PR after the game  no harm, no foul.   

Question O'Shea all you want. Evaluation of players doesn't start and stop with just what you've seen on TV and at the games. There's a lot you don't see, unless you're at every practice and in the meetings.

I agree with some of what you're saying but your logic suggests that MOS is infallible and makes all the right decisions because he has access to all the film. History suggests loyalty plays a role in his decision making. For better or for worse.

Sometimes we confuse right decisions with winning and wrong ones with losing, when that is not always the case.

There's also loyalty, and then there's patience.  I'm not sure if there is one, or multiple people in particular that you are referring to O'Shea being loyal to that has been "for worse."  Please give an example of this where the player continues to be a detriment to the team, and has shown no improvement. 

I agree with some of what you're saying but your logic suggests that MOS is infallible and makes all the right decisions because he has access to all the film. History suggests loyalty plays a role in his decision making. For better or for worse.

Sometimes we confuse right decisions with winning and wrong ones with losing, when that is not always the case.

There's also loyalty, and then there's patience. I'm not sure if there is one, or multiple people in particular that you are referring to O'Shea being loyal to that has been "for worse." Please give an example of this where the player continues to be a detriment to the team, and has shown no improvement.

Picard and Kuale are two rather significant examples. You could argue Turner over Collins as well as many others last season when playoffs were out of reach continuing to go with underwhelming vets.

I will give him credit for cutting bait with Suber and Korea Banks but they seem to be the exception.

Bob Irving @BobIrvingCJOB

Jasper Simmons won't be making his blue bomber debut Saturday--not ready yet. Dom Picard may or may not play vs stamps.

There is still a chance for Simmons to meet his former team, we play the Stamps one more time in Week 14.

Simmons had one day of reps with the defense.  I don't think we'd activate him just to play on ST.

He wasn't deemed good enough to play ST in Calgary. You have to ask yourself why?

No I don't.  Hufnagel would know why.  It shouldn't really matter to us.   

There's also loyalty, and then there's patience. I'm not sure if there is one, or multiple people in particular that you are referring to O'Shea being loyal to that has been "for worse." Please give an example of this where the player continues to be a detriment to the team, and has shown no improvement.

Picard and Kuale are two rather significant examples. You could argue Turner over Collins as well as many others last season when playoffs were out of reach continuing to go with underwhelming vets.

I will give him credit for cutting bait with Suber and Korea Banks but they seem to be the exception.

Throw last season out the window because we know O'Shea admitted to what he needed to work on during the season.  The Picard example I think you could go either way on at this point. We are half way through the season, and while I think getting someone else some reps would give us an idea of where they are in the development, I wouldn't want to be experimenting with too much change at the same time considering who our QB is.  

Turner I think has earned the chance to get back into form after coming back from injury.  

Brohm.

Brohm.

How much loyalty was there really?  He didn't even get a chance to start.

ok coach...I guess you can teach us?

Would you say that Kuale last year was held accountable for all of his selfish undisciplined penalties? 

How should I know?  I'm not in the locker room.  However you've made it clear that you believe the only way to hold a player accountable is to bash them in the media, sit them, or cut them.  I disagree.

the thing that confuses me is Littlejohn comes in off the street and gets into the game right away... Simmons is a CFL vet, he had a full week of practice and he "isn't ready yet" according to Bob Irving... seems odd to me... 

Littlejohn had to play b/c we had no linebackers left on the depth chart for that game. Simmons isn't playing right away b/c now he has Littlejohn in front on him.

Would you say that Kuale last year was held accountable for all of his selfish undisciplined penalties? 

How should I know?  I'm not in the locker room.  However you've made it clear that you believe the only way to hold a player accountable is to bash them in the media, sit them, or cut them.  I disagree.

Considering that he continued to make the same mistakes over and over again and kept playing I don't think you can consider him being ''held accountable''. Look at how Bill Belichick runs things. He benched Wes Welker for the first Quarter of a playoff game. That's a coach who demands respect and accountability from his players.

Brohm.

How much loyalty was there really?  He didn't even get a chance to start.

True. After Brohm's dismal performance in the Edmonton game it would be hard to start him. But O'Shea had him as #2 ahead of Marve and would gush about what a great QB he was. I just don't know what he saw in him. The guy is brutal.