Marve now the backup QB?

gbill2004

I'm not a Brohm fan at all. I was somewhat surprised that we re-signed him in the off season. I am a Marve fan and I hope to see him start this week, but I know that he's in tough because he hasn't been getting 2nd string reps and we've only got 1 practise this week. That's not enough time to make many changes to the offense to take advantage of Marve's strengths.

I'm not a Brohm fan at all. I was somewhat surprised that we re-signed him in the off season. I am a Marve fan and I hope to see him start this week, but I know that he's in tough because he hasn't been getting 2nd string reps and we've only got 1 practise this week. That's not enough time to make many changes to the offense to take advantage of Marve's strengths.

I'm not making excuses for the guy, not too much of a Marve fan ... but I hope they haven't ruined Marve. You saw in the last game he stayed in the pocket and forced the throw when he should have been running - his instinct was to run but something in his head told him to say put and throw. He was adjusting to warnings from the coaches that he needs to play within the system. Hopefully this week, if Willy is unable to go, they adjust he launch point for the QBs to more of an option/sprint package.

Because Marve's natural style is so different from Willy's, the offence is going to have to be retooled at least a bit to take advantage of his strengths. Even so, Marve's lack of first-team reps may hamper his performance, so lets not get our hopes up that he is the reincarnation of Matt Dunigan in his prime. We need to see if Marve is better than Brohm and good enough to trust him to be an alternative to Willy if need be. Toronto is a good team and beating them with Willy at the helm would be no small feat, but with Marve (if he really starts-not a given) a win would be a real shot in the arm for team morale.

While I'd rather see Marve than Brohm, we're in deep doo doo. At least now if both Marve & Brohm play & don't do well it'll motivate the Bombers to go after better qbs this coming off season to bolster the number 2 & 3 positions. Like we should have done last off season.  Re-upping Brohm was just a dumb move by the organization.  

Marve starting....we have a chance....Brohm starting ..nada.....With the way our o line has been playing of late a scrambling qb.  would be a better way to go....I know Marve can zing it ...I just hope he can evade the rush to get it to the receivers....failing that...run gump ...run.

Your mistake is that you think Bellifool is able to make any type of change at all.. Hamilton blitzes like crazy.  we continue they same old thing.

Doesn't matter if it's Marve or Brohm - no Willy = no chance IMO

The ghost of Rocky Butler disagrees with you.

What the heck does Rocky Butler have to do with Drew Willy or Marve or Brohm?

No prob, for those who haven't followed the CFL for very long, I will explain.

See back in, I'm going to say 2006 but I don't care enough to verify the season, Saskatchewan was forced to start a backup QB against the Bombers in the LDC.  Now most Bomber fans felt pretty good about the team's chances as they thought Butler wasn't much of a QB.  Turns out that lowly backup QB was good enough to get a win for the Riders with the help of his team, even though he really wasn't much of a QB.

And the point is that there are dozens of examples of backup QBs that inspire little confidence having enough things go right to pull out a win.  Including QBs in Bomber jerseys.

If Marve does end up becoming the de-facto starter, I for one am happy about that, and not just because I believe Brohm is one of the worst qb's I've ever seen.

marve played well in his one start last yr in the snow, give him a shot , u never know not bad in ham except for the one pass that he should not have thrown , but we know what we get with the other guy, not much

Marve reminds me a lot of Elliott. But I like Marve to start instead of Brohm. Marve can at least march the O downfield.