Marve now the backup QB?

gbill2004

I dont know whether to be impressed with Marve. Seems like he won some kind of award in high school called the "Mr Football Award". Other winners have been Daunte Culpepper, Adrian Macpherson, and Tim Tebow. Played for the Hurricanes, transfered schools to Purdue. Was eligible for 6 seasons in the NCAA. He has not played in the NFL. His pa was a linebacker in the NFL.

He has had three torn ACL injuries in his career.

Have had rotator cuff problems, torn ligaments in my ankle, herniated discs in my back, and battled through cancer......but even now...my arm is just as weak as ever...

Put me in coach! I get by on my wiles...

Well, your injuries sure make you the perfect guy to play qb for the Bombers. 

If we don't lean heavily on the run..have sets with both of those backs in together and use the run and sprint outs and roll outs or option type stuff to help ease Marve into things then MB should be canned the next morning.

We have the online to really dominate with a run game if you committed to it and played to it.

Marshall is a strong sturdy hard running back who will wear a defense down and if he is working into the teens in carries by third quarter I can see him busting big ones late in game

Booch for OC!

If we don't lean heavily on the run..have sets with both of those backs in together and use the run and sprint outs and roll outs or option type stuff to help ease Marve into things then MB should be canned the next morning.

We have the online to really dominate with a run game if you committed to it and played to it.

Marshall is a strong sturdy hard running back who will wear a defense down and if he is working into the teens in carries by third quarter I can see him busting big ones late in game

Booch for OC!

Also might make this OL more aggressive, going out and firing into people, instead of standing around in pass pro, with funny looks on their faces....

Doesn't matter if it's Marve or Brohm - no Willy = no chance IMO

The ghost of Rocky Butler disagrees with you.

What the heck does Rocky Butler have to do with Drew Willy or Marve or Brohm?

No prob, for those who haven't followed the CFL for very long, I will explain.

See back in, I'm going to say 2006 but I don't care enough to verify the season, Saskatchewan was forced to start a backup QB against the Bombers in the LDC.  Now most Bomber fans felt pretty good about the team's chances as they thought Butler wasn't much of a QB.  Turns out that lowly backup QB was good enough to get a win for the Riders with the help of his team, even though he really wasn't much of a QB.

And the point is that there are dozens of examples of backup QBs that inspire little confidence having enough things go right to pull out a win.  Including QBs in Bomber jerseys.

This got my curiosity up so I had to go digging. 2002 was the year. http://cfl.ca/statistics/statsGame/id/1205

I suspect my guess of '06 was because my mind could comprehend the idea of Glenn losing to Butler more easily than Khari.

Although the alternative to Butler would have been losing to Nealon Greene, and that is equally unbelievable.

Interesting stat sheet.  Rocky Butler is listed as I. Butler.  I have to assume Rocky is short for IROC.  Great car.

Westwood and McCallum were a combined 2 for 6 on field goals.  Legendary players.  Time and alcohol sure sand the rough edges off of memories.

Wayne Weathers is credited with -1 tackles.  Never change CFL stats, never change.  Did he catch Corey Holmes on his way down and help him stay up for more yards?

Inoke Breckterfield.  Why doesn't Rod Black include this in his list of "great CFL names"?  And what would autocorrect do with that name?

20 punts that game between the two teams, and still 52 points scored.  Not sure the latest round of rule changes were really necessary.

3 sacks from Denny Fortney, Doug Brown's first partner in crime.  I wish he'd been a Bomber longer.  Was it injury that ended his career so early, or did we just move on to a younger, shinier version?  Cause Denny wasn't very old.

I would feel a heckuva lot better seeing Marvelous start...but just as worrisome is a little guy named Owens....don't know if he'll be back in their lineup, but if he is, and the way our special teams have been playing has me a little uneasy...Seeing this guy ripping us on returns is something I'm not looking forward to..??? Tracey better get his act together

Marve is the new Bishop.  He's going to make "who was that intended for" and "how did he do that" throws, possibly in the same series.  Plus he can run. I think we'll win enough to get into the post season.

I think that's a pretty apt comparison.  You gotta qualify it a bit though, Bishop who won games in Regina and Winnipeg was a more refined passer still with many shortcomings.  I'd compare Marve more to Bishop early 2000s with the Argos.  At that point Bishop was a huge runner too.  I'm thinking a typical Marve statline will be 19/35 230 yards 1 TD 2 INT and 60 rushing yards.  He'll probably have the odd spectacular game, but he'll need a lot of help from special teams and defense to win games.

I may have misread Bauming's tweets this morning...my apologies....still in bed, no glasses, attempting to read my phone......#OldManProblems  I saw "Won't take long to know who the starter is..." and then "...I reiterate my point from yesterday that I think Marve will start..." so I put the two together...but apparently not so much. Sooo now we play hungry hungry hippos.....

There's a reason I've had the same tagline for half a year :)

Unfortunately for you (if you believe the title of this thread), Marve is now the backup QB.  Which would mean he's still behind Brohm.

lowercase boom goes the dynamite...

I may have misread Bauming's tweets this morning...my apologies....still in bed, no glasses, attempting to read my phone......#OldManProblems  I saw "Won't take long to know who the starter is..." and then "...I reiterate my point from yesterday that I think Marve will start..." so I put the two together...but apparently not so much. Sooo now we play hungry hungry hippos.....

Yes you're correct, he did also say that... I think most people believe Marve will start based on the fact that in the past O'Shea has immediately come out and said Brohm will be the starter... and this time he said, we'll wait to make that announcement... or something to that effect...