Marve now the backup QB?

gbill2004

Let's be honest here, There isn't much film on Marve, we have no idea really what he can and can not do.. and i'm guessing thats the same for other teams in the league, all we really know is he has a cannon arm, can exploit teams deep with that gun of his, he can also run it seems... he's a dual threat QB... Not much real film on the guy... it will be interesting to see how he does, first time he's actually gonna be getting the 1st team reps too. 

Wouldn't shock me if he comes out and has a great game and we win, it also wouldn't shock me if he struggles badly and we lose. I guess we will see, one thing for sure tho, it should be exciting down at IGF on friday.

Get the feeling we gonna see several 2 and outs but also gonna see a few long long bombs completed for TDs or huge gains. Perhaps the first play of the game they go deep, I might consider doing it... Send Gordon or whoever deep and go for it. Send a message right away. Hope we don't see the dink and dunk stuff, gotta let the kid play. see what he can do, play to Marves strengths. 

The gameplan vs Marve will be the exact same as any rookie QB. Force 'em to stay in the pocket and beat you with their arm. Until they prove they can do that, you throw everything at 'em and hope to scare 'em into  making mistakes.

Marve has had two training camps now and a year and a half to prepare.  If he doesn't know the playbook by now then he shouldn't be a professional player.  It's one thing if we just got him off the bus from Fresno, but he's been here long enough to learn the subtle nuances of an MB "let's kill the QB" offense.

Marve has had two training camps now and a year and a half to prepare.  If he doesn't know the playbook by now then he shouldn't be a professional player.  It's one thing if we just got him off the bus from Fresno, but he's been here long enough to learn the subtle nuances of an MB "let's kill the QB" offense.

Big difference, tho, in getting the First Team reps in practice and the other team having a week to game plan for you specifically. There's gonna be a steep learning curve, but all we can do is pray for a miracle...

So how does Casey Creehan adjust his game plan if Marve starts? I guess the goal is to make Marve throw from the pocket, right?

Do you tell the DE to always keep contain on the option instead of crashing the RB?

The end should always hold the edge on an option or zone read, force the play inside to where there are more players to finish the play.  Just tugs at the instinct to chase the ball.

Let's be honest here, There isn't much film on Marve, we have no idea really what he can and can not do.. and i'm guessing thats the same for other teams in the league, all we really know is he has a cannon arm, can exploit teams deep with that gun of his, he can also run it seems... he's a dual threat QB... Not much real film on the guy... it will be interesting to see how he does, first time he's actually gonna be getting the 1st team reps too. 

Wouldn't shock me if he comes out and has a great game and we win, it also wouldn't shock me if he struggles badly and we lose. I guess we will see, one thing for sure tho, it should be exciting down at IGF on friday.

Get the feeling we gonna see several 2 and outs but also gonna see a few long long bombs completed for TDs or huge gains. Perhaps the first play of the game they go deep, I might consider doing it... Send Gordon or whoever deep and go for it. Send a message right away. Hope we don't see the dink and dunk stuff, gotta let the kid play. see what he can do, play to Marves strengths. 

I hope we see the dink and dunk stuff because that means he can read a defense and take what's available, not force the ball into danger and try to do too much, often leads to turnovers and 2 & outs.  1st down yardage will be huge.

Sign Jamel Richardson!

That's not a bad idea with Darvin Adams out a while.

Agree on that. Problem is we dont use 4-import receivers. So it will be Moore, Veltung and Denmark.

I thought there was talk of them going with Moore, Adams, denmark, veultung and kolhert at one point

The gameplan vs Marve will be the exact same as any rookie QB. Force 'em to stay in the pocket and beat you with their arm. Until they prove they can do that, you throw everything at 'em and hope to scare 'em into  making mistakes.

It is unfortunate Marve is forced to work within an archaic offence that is designed for a 3-step-drop pocket passer. Hopefully Marcel tweaks the playbook to Marve's strengths, actually its similar to what Mike Riley faces in re-tooling things at Nebraska: http://hailvarsity.com/news/hot-reads-the-past-present-future-of-dual-threat-qbs/2015/02/

So how does Casey Creehan adjust his game plan if Marve starts? I guess the goal is to make Marve throw from the pocket, right?

Do you tell the DE to always keep contain on the option instead of crashing the RB?

If I was Creehan, I'm bringing the heat a lot and when I'm not, I'm faking that I'm bringing the heat. We have shown we struggle with this style of defense. 

It is unfortunate Marve is forced to work within an archaic offence that is designed for a 3-step-drop pocket passer. Hopefully Marcel tweaks the playbook to Marve's strengths, actually its similar to what Mike Riley faces in re-tooling things at Nebraska O: http://hailvarsity.com/news/hot-reads-the-past-present-future-of-dual-threat-qbs/2015/02/

Bellefeuille prefers mobile QB's, there's no doubt about that.  He spent 3 seasons trying to replace Kevin Glenn with Quinton Porter, they started 09 with Porter starting over Glenn.  Porter could never take the reins, but every year Bellefeuille was head coach in Hamilton he gave Porter more opportunities than he deserved to win the job.

The archaic offence stuff is getting a little stupid too.  Let's get at least 80% of our offensive line looking like they belong in the CFL.  There's no play call that's going to compensate for a centre and guard being completely useless on any given snap.

I hope we see the dink and dunk stuff because that means he can read a defense and take what's available, not force the ball into danger and try to do too much, often leads to turnovers and 2 & outs.  1st down yardage will be huge.

Marve needs to focus on getting at least 7 yards on first down.  I'd rather us have the better odds with multiple options to do this with each play, than try a force a ball downfield.  If we are going to have any luck against TO, we are going to have to keep them guessing. 

It is unfortunate Marve is forced to work within an archaic offence that is designed for a 3-step-drop pocket passer. Hopefully Marcel tweaks the playbook to Marve's strengths, actually its similar to what Mike Riley faces in re-tooling things at Nebraska O: http://hailvarsity.com/news/hot-reads-the-past-present-future-of-dual-threat-qbs/2015/02/

Bellefeuille prefers mobile QB's, there's no doubt about that.  He spent 3 seasons trying to replace Kevin Glenn with Quinton Porter, they started 09 with Porter starting over Glenn.  Porter could never take the reins, but every year Bellefeuille was head coach in Hamilton he gave Porter more opportunities than he deserved to win the job.

The archaic offence stuff is getting a little stupid too.  Let's get at least 80% of our offensive line looking like they belong in the CFL.  There's no play call that's going to compensate for a centre and guard being completely useless on any given snap.

The entire O line has taken turns looking inept at different times. And yes, Marcel hasn't had success with Calvillo or Willy and that style of QB. I'm really hoping they can help Marve succeed by tweaking things for him. They will ruin him by making him stand in the pocket. In the last game you could see he wanted to run into the open field but stood in there and threw into a crowd because coaches said he must learn to play within the system. But the system needs to adjust IMHO.

And who did he have in Saskatchewan? Was it still Nealon Greene the glorified running back?