Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

If you recognize that everyone is biased then you should understand that the CBC is going to be biased as well, regardless of whether they are taxpayer funded or not. Just human nature.

I wont discount the fact that most media is biased.  But there's a responsibility to report the bare minimum of news.  This isnt like Russia where they shoot down a jet and then pretend it didnt happen. 

The CBC is the worst offender because they are public, not private, and have such an obvious agenda.  Even if you're a left wing person, Im not sure anyone could argue the CBC serves a useful purpose.  I used to love re-runs of Kate & Ally as much as the next guy and Degrassi was awesome.  But really....

I think my point was that everyone is biased but the majority of mainstream news is left-slanted biased.  If they were all right biased, I'd be okay admitting that with a thumbs up.

nah it's slanted to the center, you're slanted to the right.

Not a chance! You're slanted waaaaay to the left if thats what you think.  Since, as 17 pointed out, Harper pulled the Cons closer to center, then the media would not be so Anti-Harper if they were center.  Certainly not as much as they are.  Like I said, not all media but most of it is left of center.

CTV news and the globe and mail aren't some big commie propaganda machine, 17 to 85 didn’t prove ****. Closer to center does not equal the center, its still right of center.

You don't understand where the center is.

If you recognize that everyone is biased then you should understand that the CBC is going to be biased as well, regardless of whether they are taxpayer funded or not. Just human nature.

I wont discount the fact that most media is biased.  But there's a responsibility to report the bare minimum of news.  This isnt like Russia where they shoot down a jet and then pretend it didnt happen. 

The CBC is the worst offender because they are public, not private, and have such an obvious agenda.  Even if you're a left wing person, Im not sure anyone could argue the CBC serves a useful purpose.  I used to love re-runs of Kate & Ally as much as the next guy and Degrassi was awesome.  But really....

I think my point was that everyone is biased but the majority of mainstream news is left-slanted biased.  If they were all right biased, I'd be okay admitting that with a thumbs up.

Not a chance! You're slanted waaaaay to the left if thats what you think.  Since, as 17 pointed out, Harper pulled the Cons closer to center, then the media would not be so Anti-Harper if they were center.  Certainly not as much as they are.  Like I said, not all media but most of it is left of center.

CTV news and the globe and mail aren't some big commie propaganda machine, 17 to 85 didn’t prove ****. Closer to center does not equal the center, its still right of center.

I know its not where you say it is because you're left of center.  If you dont think there is a general mainstream media bias against the Cons, you're way too left for your own good because it's blinding you.  Thats like me saying FOX News is very balanced politically.  I like FOX to a degree but Im not going to pretend they arent right wing.

There is no centre.

People just say centre because no one wants to be known as left wing or right wing. Every person and organization leans one way or the other. Centre is just what right wing people say who don't want to associate with the homophobic, pro life, pro gun mentality that is associated with the far right. Same thing on the left for those who dont want to be associated with the hippies, communists, bleeding heart no jail no punishment types.

I know its not where you say it is because you're left of center.  If you dont think there is a general mainstream media bias against the Cons, you're way too left for your own good because it's blinding you.  Thats like me saying FOX News is very balanced politically.  I like FOX to a degree but Im not going to pretend they arent right wing.

ok, riddle me this? What is the most centerist pary in Canada? Is it the cons? if so what is the most right wing part in Canada?

If the cons are right wing what is in the middle? An empty void?

This anti conservative bias you claim is nothing moret that a result of how Harper chooses to act with the media.

There is no centre.

People just say centre because no one wants to be known as left wing or right wing. Every person and organization leans one way or the other. Centre is just what right wing people say who don't want to associate with the homophobic, pro life, pro gun mentality that is associated with the far right. Same thing on the left for those who dont want to be associated with the hippies, communists, bleeding heart no jail no punishment types.

That sounds impossible, is there a set of numbers that don't have an average?

ok, riddle me this? What is the most centerist pary in Canada? Is it the cons? if so what is the most right wing part in Canada?

This anti conservative bias you claim is nothing moret that a result of how Harper chooses to act with the media.

I dont claim it.  It exists.  You admit this by providing a cause.  I dont disagree that the media has their collective panties in a bunch because Harper doesnt pay them a lot of lip service.  But it would be nice if media reported news without a bias based on how easy the government makes their job.

If you claim the media isnt bias, thats the end of the discussion.  No point in continuing.

There is no centre.

I think center is used like you said, to a degree.  Because there are a lot of farther winged lobbyists and whatnot out there.  When you get sub-cliques, its human nature to want to slot people or groups into a designation.  Look at the Tea Party.  I think center is often used to describe a moderate approach to any issue.

Both sides, Cons and NDP, have their wingnuts.  No doubt.  if people close to the parties had extremist views, I dont think that is unimportant though.  Because those people have influence.  If someone was nuts, you';d hope a moderate party would disassociate with that person.  if they dont, there is an association and its fair to ask questions. 

In the case of the manifesto, there are certainly enough people close to the NDP for it to be relevant as far as saying these are opinions shared by this particular party.  I dont think a majority NDP would eliminate fossil fuels.  They couldnt.  And they'd be tossed if they tried.  But they could hinder that industry.  That's not an evil perspective...I dont hate them for feeling that way.  Its a political position.  And its fair to consider when deciding how to vote. 

There is no centre.

No but this isn't accounting and you can't learn politics by playing Number Munchers.

Left and right are really narrow minded views of politics anyway. I much prefer the models that have 4 sides. I am for example a fiscal conservative, but I'm also more libertarian while the conservative party is kind of not. Nothing is really black and white, there's shades of grey everywhere especially in politics. Heck I consider myself fairly right wing with some moderate tendencies but holy cow there are people way further to the right of me. 

Tough to be anti death penalty a day after a 2 year old was killed.

Not if you really believe in it. It's not emotional for me. If that was my child would I want to rip his throat out? Ofcourse. But unemotionally and taking God out of the debate we can't have a death penalty when we've convicted innocent people. Period.

If you claim the media isnt bias, thats the end of the discussion.  No point in continuing.

I dont claim it.  It exists.  You admit this by providing a cause.  I dont disagree that the media has their collective panties in a bunch because Harper doesnt pay them a lot of lip service.  But it would be nice if media reported news without a bias based on how easy the government makes their job.

Is this the kind of media bias you're railing against?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper_endorsements_in_the_Canadian_federal_election,_2011

@ilanabanks: #DonaldSutherland tells @glasneronfilm if he COULD vote he would vote for Mulcair #cbcnewsarts http://t.co/gW3v4vlkRC

@ilanabanks: #DonaldSutherland tells @glasneronfilm if he COULD vote he would vote for Mulcair #cbcnewsarts http://t.co/gW3v4vlkRC

Donald Sutherland is married to Shirley Douglas, daughter of Tommy Douglas.  So he really doesn't have any other choice.

He's also a resident of California so its amusing when he talks about "we" this and "we" that...

I saw someone ask William Shatner about voting in Canada and he said he wasn't able to so he had no comment.  A lot of celebrities think they are inherently wiser than the rest of the population.  And they are often wrong.

I wont discount the fact that most media is biased. But there's a responsibility to report the bare minimum of news. This isnt like Russia where they shoot down a jet and then pretend it didnt happen.

The CBC is the worst offender because they are public, not private, and have such an obvious agenda. Even if you're a left wing person, Im not sure anyone could argue the CBC serves a useful purpose. I used to love re-runs of Kate & Ally as much as the next guy and Degrassi was awesome. But really....

I think my point was that everyone is biased but the majority of mainstream news is left-slanted biased. If they were all right biased, I'd be okay admitting that with a thumbs up.

Not a chance! You're slanted waaaaay to the left if thats what you think. Since, as 17 pointed out, Harper pulled the Cons closer to center, then the media would not be so Anti-Harper if they were center. Certainly not as much as they are. Like I said, not all media but most of it is left of center.

CTV news and the globe and mail aren't some big commie propaganda machine, 17 to 85 didn’t prove ****. Closer to center does not equal the center, its still right of center.

I know its not where you say it is because you're left of center. If you dont think there is a general mainstream media bias against the Cons, you're way too left for your own good because it's blinding you. Thats like me saying FOX News is very balanced politically. I like FOX to a degree but Im not going to pretend they arent right wing.

I dont claim it. It exists. You admit this by providing a cause. I dont disagree that the media has their collective panties in a bunch because Harper doesnt pay them a lot of lip service. But it would be nice if media reported news without a bias based on how easy the government makes their job.

If you claim the media isnt bias, thats the end of the discussion. No point in continuing.

Nope it doesn't exist. I didn't give a reason why it didnt exits. I gave a reason as to why he'd be underrepresented.

The fact is you cry every time someone writes a bad article about your guy because it hurts your feelings and you disagree with the message. You gloss over the fact that there are just as many negative articles written about the other political parties becuase they don't affect you in the same way.

There is no centre.

No but this isn't accounting and you can't learn politics by playing Number Munchers.

So the ndp and liberals and communists are exactly the same? The conservatives and reform are exactly the same? How is 17to18 claiming that harper brought the torys further away from the far right of there is no gradient. Just a black and white set of binary ideologies?

There is no centre.

So the ndp and liberals and communists are exactly the same? The conservatives and reform are exactly the same? How is 17to18 claiming that harper brought the torys further away from the far right of there is no gradient. Just a black and white set of binary ideologies?

Not at all.  There is far left, left, right, and far right.  But there is no centre.  And anyone claiming to be "centre" is kidding themselves.