Pre Game Thread (Week 3 vs Montreal) w/ Depth Chart

Noeller

Not even close. They did the same thing with Hamilton, it's just to promote social media for the league.

Ok. Just asking.

But hoping that result will not be the same as Hamilton's game.

@DarrinBauming: Mike O'Shea expects #Als to bring increased pressure on Willy. Then asked if there is urgency for increased protection, he said no. #Bombers

It's not so much about increased protection as everyone being on the same page. The OL, the Receivers/RBs, and Willy himself all have to read the situation correctly and make sure the right guys are being blocked out...

@DarrinBauming: Mike O'Shea expects #Als to bring increased pressure on Willy. Then asked if there is urgency for increased protection, he said no. #Bombers

Idiotic, really.  "We expect them to bring more pressure but we certainly don't plan on doing anything about it."

And again, you're completely misreading the situation. It's not about needing increased protection. It's about using the same protection they were SUPPOSED to have last week, but a lotta guys had heads up their asses and didn't do their job properly. If everyone does their jobs, then the same amount of protection from last week (not an increase) will be fine...

and I think the biggest thing O'Shea took issue with would be the word urgency. I have this suspicion that he goes into every week wanting his guys to protect his quarterback so there's no more urgency it's just par for the course. They bring pressure the team does what it's supposed to in order to make the play. 

Idiotic, really.  "We expect them to bring more pressure but we certainly don't plan on doing anything about it."

And again, you're completely misreading the situation. It's not about needing increased protection. It's about using the same protection they were SUPPOSED to have last week, but a lotta guys had heads up their asses and didn't do their job properly. If everyone does their jobs, then the same amount of protection from last week (not an increase) will be fine...

That is the way I read it. If everybody executes their assignments, including receivers running hot routes, then the Bombers will be OK.

I have noticed already that the Big Blue have good protection packages, and when they perform, so does super-Drew.

That may be a helluva epitaph for Willy and O'Shea.

"Famous Last Words" type of stuff.

The winning formula is simple. Bombers D needs to play lights out. Eliminate bonehead penalties and ST errors. Run the ball to set up the pass.

I don't think they need to play lights out... They just need to not give up the monster plays.

On offense its simple... Dont let Brohm in the game. Also run the ball...

The winning formula is simple. Bombers D needs to play lights out. Eliminate bonehead penalties and ST errors. Run the ball to set up the pass. Everyone play with their heads outta their asses, and we win.

I expect the Als to bring extra pressure and I expect the Bombers to provide extra protection. Relying on what we did last week, only better, is a recipe for disaster IMO.

I'm legitimately curious...without knowing what the protection schemes were SUPPOSED to be last week, why do you feel this way?

I don't know what other people think, but if you ask me,  Sam, or the strong side backer is the hot read for the QB. No one is assigned to block him. If he blitzes, the hot route should occupy the space he vacates. If it doesn't, either the play call or the pass protection needs to change. The QB is said to be "responsible" for the Sam blitz; a sack by that player is entirely on the QB.

Who is read with the combo block can be slid to the right or the left, typically to the backside of the play. Here we see what can happen if it's slid to Will.

:ph34r: 

found that on a college football site.

:lol: 

They  got home twice last week on the blitz so you can say that if they execute better they will be capitalize.

That's a narrow point of view, it's not just about sacks, it's about sacks, hits, and hurries.  Not to mention forced holding calls.

I expect the Als to bring extra pressure and I expect the Bombers to provide extra protection. Relying on what we did last week, only better, is a recipe for disaster IMO.

I'm legitimately curious...without knowing what the protection schemes were SUPPOSED to be last week, why do you feel this way?

No, I don't know what the calls were last week, but I do know that they didn't work and it wasn't just on the Willy hit either.  I also know that the QB gets hit a log in MB run offenses and we need to reduce that for Willy to last the season.  I don't think the Bombers are stupid so I expect there will be changes made.

As you don't know what the protection schemes were SUPPOSED to be last week, why do you think we can run them better this week without making changes?

No, I don't know what the calls were last week, but I do know that they didn't work and it wasn't just on the Willy hit either.  I also know that the QB gets hit a log in MB run offenses and we need to reduce that for Willy to last the season.  I don't think the Bombers are stupid so I expect there will be changes made.

As you don't know what the protection schemes were SUPPOSED to be last week, why do you think we can run them better this week without making changes?

What I know is that we can't judge the protection schemes until we actually see them performed properly. We know they had multiple instances last week of guys screwing up the play, with the most noticeable being Gudino, for which he was suitably chewed out by Willy. 

All I'm saying is that we can't judge the schemes until we've seen them executed properly...

There ought to be no surprises for either team. Montreal and the Bombers both know that if Willy gets hammered a few times and/or harrassed, the Als will win. The same is true for Montreal's QB- give him time and he looks to be able to pick the Bomber secondary apart. I thought the Bomber secondary would be the Bomber strength, but it has proven to be one its weakest points. So, run the fourletterwording ball!