Training Camp / Practice - June 13

M.O.A.B.

"in the reporters' defense, more in-depth information is hard to come by. All information comes through O'Shea's mouth and the man is a sealed tomb. This coach is a marketer's nightmare."

I don't listen to or read interviews with the coach. 

If the team wants better coverage, (I don't know what the management thinks) perhaps the team should do a better job of interacting with the media, and the fans.

Not saying we have great sports reporters covering the Bombers, but

The attitude of the reporters that's complained about so much might partly be a reflection of how the reporters feel they're being treated by the team. 

and reporters aren't going to do a story with details like gbill is doing. Not sure I've seen a newspaper story along those lines.

You think I'm making this stuff up? Go to a practice and you'll see most (not all) of the media there spend a large chunk of practice either not there (showing up late) or socializing and not actually watching practice.

This has been their MO for years, sadly.

Marve has the opportunity, he just isn't stepping up and taking advantage of it.

Why does that make us want to move him up the ladder in the QB order?

Problem is unlike Willy and Brohm, Marve isn't naturally a pocket QB so he has a bigger learning curve to overcome to fit in to Marcel's scheme.  I'm not sure it is in the best interest of the Bombers or Marve to try to convert him to this role as I prefer the flexibility he offers with his motion when the need arises to use him. 

Watching the beat down cement foot Sunseri took from the Esks. last night (5 sacks) indicates how vulnerable a pocket passer can be against certain D schemes.  Brett Smith who played prior to Sunseri was able to scramble to avoid the rush, looked good and was not sacked even once.

Even with an improved O-line whoever the Bombers play has to be able to evacuate the pocket in order to succeed against a team pinning it's ears back to kill the QB.  They will not survive the game otherwise.  Hopefully Willy can adapt as the Bombers play the Esks. in week five and it could get ugly.

Doesn't matter what kind of QB is behind center when a OL is playing as bad as the guys Saskatchewan had in during most of the 3rd and 4th quarters last night.  Plus Edmonton started blitzing like crazy with many experienced CFL players still on their D against guys on Sask who won't be in the CFL long.  On several of those sacks Sunseri was scrambling.

Leaving the pocket early actually makes it a lot easier for a blitz to affect a QB, as counter intuitive as that might seem.

It's not an either or situation though.  There's a reason why basically all of the great QB's in recent CFL history can throw effectively from the pocket and move effectively within the structure of the offense and at times when they need to.  It's what beats defenses consistently regardless of how they scheme.  Marve has a long way to go with his brain and arm to even be a serviceable QB.

Marve has been a highly serviceable and effective QB so far, regardless of his style of play. Brohm has a longer way to go, plus he's older.

So you'd feel comfortable going into this season with Marve as your starting QB if you were running a team based on what you've seen from him to this point?  Versus say having a guy like Kevin Glenn or Drew Tate, guys I would call serviceable.

Haven't seen enough of him to say that I'd feel comfortable with him as the starter, but I'd feel much more comfortable with him than Brohm.

Funny, comfortable is close to the last word I'd use to describe Marve's play.  Exciting for sure, but comfortable?

If he can start recognizing the coverages and figure out where to go when or even before the ball is snapped, then he won't have to resort to going into fire-drill mode on every play.  That would be significantly more comfortable.

"The shizzits about to get cray-cray" might get fans to the edge of their seats, but most coaches are looking for efficient execution of the playbook.  That's why Brohm will remain the backup.  When Marve understands the CFL well enough that he doesn't have to resort to improvisation on nearly every play, then his physical superiority will win him a promotion.

We'll get a look on Friday to see how much progress he's made from last season.

Has Marve ever had the benefit of a competent OL in front of him? All the great Marve firedrills I remember came when his protection gave him less than a steamboat to work with.

(I didn't watch the preseason game. stupid TSNGo)

Not really, but it was also the same Oline that Brohm had in front of him.

It was one half of one game last season where I got to watch him live, but I remember that throws were available there that should have been his first or second read that he didn't make, either because he didn't see him or he didn't feel comfortable making them.  Only he'd know the answer to that.  Kohlert got open for him.  Denmark got open for him.  The simple 8 -15 yard variety that is the bread and butter of a CFL offence.

And then the scrambling began.  He's athletic enough to keep the play alive for a long time, and has a strong enough arm to fire darts one way while running the other way.  I don't have a major problem with him not recognizing those reads, he was a CFL rookie QB and it takes years nail it down.  But until he does start recognizing them he can't move up the depth chart.  And if another year passes without him learning how, at least some reasonable level of progress, then the Bombers will have to consider cutting bait so to speak.

But he's also had an entire offseason to watch film and make mental reps.  He may have already made some progress.  We'll see on Friday.  Those of us who don't live in Seattle.

It's funny because Marve himself has acknowledged where he needs to work on his game, how come his fan boys can't accept that as well?

If Willy can stay upright and keep the offense moving, then all of this Marve talk is going to be moot.  The only time there is a QB controversy is when the number one guy isn't getting it done.  And for the last half of last season, Willy wasn't getting it done.  Walters did what he had to do to improve the o-line.  Now it's up to Marcel and Drew.

It's funny because Marve himself has acknowledged where he needs to work on his game, how come his fan boys can't accept that as well?

If Willy can stay upright and keep the offense moving, then all of this Marve talk is going to be moot.  The only time there is a QB controversy is when the number one guy isn't getting it done.  And for the last half of last season, Willy wasn't getting it done.  Walters did what he had to do to improve the o-line.  Now it's up to Marcel and Drew.

I have faith in WIlly, less so in Marcel.