Training Camp / Practice - June 13

M.O.A.B.

No he hasn't been better than brohm at all. Do people think a QB who runs every other play is really sustainable? It's not. He's 3rd string for a reason and until he learns to read a d and complete a pass more consistently he will stay 3rd and I like Marve too but he is not better than brohm right now.

Is the objective in football not to move the chains and score points? Marve has been able to do so on a consistent basis, and thus, has been the more effective QB. Through all preseason and regular season games so far, Brohm has a completion percentage of 55% to Marve's 51%... Does the 4% difference really mean that much when the former played in perfectly manageable situations and has no other dimensions to his game? I think not.

Also, regarding practice reports (which is what we were talking about in the first place)... It's hard to tell who's being truthful lately (especially with all the bickering back and forth). Two days ago, gbill wouldn't stop raving about Brohm while neglecting to say a word about Marve. Meanwhile, another poster at TEP singled out Marve as the standout QB that day, while Twitter suggested that he was having a great day as well. The next day, gbill again stated how good Brohm is while another poster at TEP said that Marve was even better.

The thing is we all have our biases and people see what they want to see sometimes.

No he hasn't been better than brohm at all. Do people think a QB who runs every other play is really sustainable? It's not. He's 3rd string for a reason and until he learns to read a d and complete a pass more consistently he will stay 3rd and I like Marve too but he is not better than brohm right now.

Is the objective in football not to move the chains and score points? Marve has been able to do so on a consistent basis, and thus, has been the more effective QB. Through all preseason and regular season games so far, Brohm has a completion percentage of 55% to Marve's 51%... Does the 4% difference really mean that much when the former played in perfectly manageable situations and has no other dimensions to his game? I think not.

Also, regarding practice reports (which is what we were talking about in the first place)... It's hard to tell who's being truthful lately (especially with all the bickering back and forth). Two days ago, gbill wouldn't stop raving about Brohm while neglecting to say a word about Marve. Meanwhile, another poster at TEP singled out Marve as the standout QB that day, while Twitter suggested that he was having a great day as well. The next day, gbill again stated how good Brohm is while another poster at TEP said that Marve was even better.

The thing is we all have our biases and people see what they want to see sometimes.

Marve 100% struggled today. And read my full report from yesterday (there's more than just the initial post), Brohm had his ups and downs, along with Marve and Portis. Willy is clearly the best and after that they all have their warts. But the more practice I see, the more clear it is that Brohm is the best of the rest. Marv'e initial reaction is that he wants to run, and he often struggles from the pocket. Based on the last 3 days, I'd rank the QB's:

1. Willy

2. Brohm

3A. Portis

3B. Marve

Portis and Marve are really close. Yantz has thrown one pass in scrimmage so I can't really evaluate him.

Is the objective in football not to move the chains and score points? Marve has been able to do so on a consistent basis, and thus, has been the more effective QB. Through all preseason and regular season games so far, Brohm has a completion percentage of 55% to Marve's 51%... Does the 4% difference really mean that much when the former played in perfectly manageable situations and has no other dimensions to his game? I think not.

Also, regarding practice reports (which is what we were talking about in the first place)... It's hard to tell who's being truthful lately (especially with all the bickering back and forth). Two days ago, gbill wouldn't stop raving about Brohm while neglecting to say a word about Marve. Meanwhile, another poster at TEP singled out Marve as the standout QB that day, while Twitter suggested that he was having a great day as well. The next day, gbill again stated how good Brohm is while another poster at TEP said that Marve was even better.

Marve 100% struggled today.  And read my full report from yesterday (there's more that just the initial post), Brohm had his ups and downs, along with Marve and Portis.  Willy is clearly the best and after that they all have their warts.  But the more practice I see, the more clear it is that Brohm is the best of the rest. 

I don't doubt that... And btw, I enjoy your daily camp reports as I haven't been able to get out there this year.  But the truth is, a lot of people see things differently than you do, including myself. I went to a few practices last year, and Marve looked a lot better than Brohm... He was more mobile, more accurate and more of a playmaker. I'm sure that some people would still rank Marve above Brohm, even based on the last three days of practice.

Marve has the opportunity, he just isn't stepping up and taking advantage of it.

Why does that make us want to move him up the ladder in the QB order?

I'm not sure that he has had the opportunity to be honest. Brohm has been the de facto backup since the very beginning, for no particular reason other than experience maybe. If everyone had a fair shot at the backup position last year, Marve absolutely would have won it out of the gate.

Marve has the opportunity, he just isn't stepping up and taking advantage of it.

I'm not sure that he has had the opportunity to be honest. Brohm has been the de facto backup since the very beginning, for no particular reason other than experience maybe. If everyone had a fair shot at the backup position last year, Marve absolutely would have won it out of the gate.

Rose-Colored-Glasses.jpg

Rose-Colored-Glasses.jpg

Not only was Marve much better in practice at last year's TC, he was also a lot better in the preseason, and no one can dispute that. Brohm and Hall were pretty much neck-and-neck at last year's camp.

For a guy who LOVES Marve so dearly, you sure are willing to put his career on the path to failure if you think it would have been intelligent for him to be the backup last year as a pro rookie.

I highly doubt that another game's worth of reps would have hurt him in any way. If anything I believe it would have helped him grow.

For a guy who LOVES Marve so dearly, you sure are willing to put his career on the path to failure if you think it would have been intelligent for him to be the backup last year as a pro rookie.

I highly doubt that another game's worth of reps would have hurt him in any way. If anything I believe it would have helped him grow.

Hindsight doesn't mean anything. Having a pro rookie as your number 2 QB behind a guy in his first year as a starter would've been lunacy.

Hindsight doesn't mean anything. Having a pro rookie as your number 2 QB behind a guy in his first year as a starter would've been lunacy.

You may be right and I may be ignorant.

Problem is unlike Willy and Brohm, Marve isn't naturally a pocket QB so he has a bigger learning curve to overcome to fit into Marcel's scheme.  I'm not sure it is in the best interest of the Bombers or Marve to try to convert him to this role as I prefer the flexibility he offers with his motion when the need arises to use him. 

Watching the beat down cement foot Sunseri took from the Esks. last night (5 sacks) indicates how vulnerable a pocket passer can be against certain D schemes.  Brett Smith who played prior to Sunseri was able to scramble to avoid the rush, looked good and was not sacked even once.

Even with an improved O-line whoever the Bombers play has to be able to evacuate the pocket in order to succeed against a team pinning it's ears back to kill the QB.  They will not survive the game otherwise.  Hopefully Willy can adapt as the Bombers play the Esks. in week five and it could get ugly.

Problem is unlike Willy and Brohm, Marve isn't naturally a pocket QB so he has a bigger learning curve to overcome to fit in to Marcel's scheme.  I'm not sure it is in the best interest of the Bombers or Marve to try to convert him to this role as I prefer the flexibility he offers with his motion when the need arises to use him. 

Watching the beat down cement foot Sunseri took from the Esks. last night (5 sacks) indicates how vulnerable a pocket passer can be against certain D schemes.  Brett Smith who played prior to Sunseri was able to scramble to avoid the rush, looked good and was not sacked even once.

Even with an improved O-line whoever the Bombers play has to be able to evacuate the pocket in order to succeed against a team pinning it's ears back to kill the QB.  They will not survive the game otherwise.  Hopefully Willy can adapt as the Bombers play the Esks. in week five and it could get ugly.

Doesn't matter what kind of QB is behind center when a OL is playing as bad as the guys Saskatchewan had in during most of the 3rd and 4th quarters last night.  Plus Edmonton started blitzing like crazy with many experienced CFL players still on their D against guys on Sask who won't be in the CFL long.  On several of those sacks Sunseri was scrambling.

Leaving the pocket early actually makes it a lot easier for a blitz to affect a QB, as counter intuitive as that might seem.

It's not an either or situation though.  There's a reason why basically all of the great QB's in recent CFL history can throw effectively from the pocket and move effectively within the structure of the offense and at times when they need to.  It's what beats defenses consistently regardless of how they scheme.  Marve has a long way to go with his brain and arm to even be a serviceable QB.

Problem is unlike Willy and Brohm, Marve isn't naturally a pocket QB so he has a bigger learning curve to overcome to fit in to Marcel's scheme.  I'm not sure it is in the best interest of the Bombers or Marve to try to convert him to this role as I prefer the flexibility he offers with his motion when the need arises to use him. 

Doesn't matter what kind of QB is behind center when a OL is playing as bad as the guys Saskatchewan had in during most of the 3rd and 4th quarters last night.  Plus Edmonton started blitzing like crazy with many experienced CFL players still on their D against guys on Sask who won't be in the CFL long.  On several of those sacks Sunseri was scrambling.

Leaving the pocket early actually makes it a lot easier for a blitz to affect a QB, as counter intuitive as that might seem.

It's not an either or situation though.  There's a reason why basically all of the great QB's in recent CFL history can throw effectively from the pocket and move effectively within the structure of the offense and at times when they need to.  It's what beats defenses consistently regardless of how they scheme.  Marve has a long way to go with his brain and arm to even be a serviceable QB.

Marve has been a highly serviceable and effective QB so far, regardless of his style of play. Brohm has a longer way to go, plus he's older.

Marve has been a highly serviceable and effective QB so far, regardless of his style of play. Brohm has a longer way to go, plus he's older.

So you'd feel comfortable going into this season with Marve as your starting QB if you were running a team based on what you've seen from him to this point?  Versus say having a guy like Kevin Glenn or Drew Tate, guys I would call serviceable.

So you'd feel comfortable going into this season with Marve as your starting QB if you were running a team based on what you've seen from him to this point?  Versus say having a guy like Kevin Glenn or Drew Tate, guys I would call serviceable.

Haven't seen enough of him to say that I'd feel comfortable with him as the starter, but I'd feel much more comfortable with him than Brohm.

Haven't seen enough of him to say that I'd feel comfortable with him as the starter, but I'd feel much more comfortable with him than Brohm.

Then he's not a serviceable QB.  To me that term means that you know within a reasonable range what you are going to get when the guy steps on the field.

We have very good battles for roster spots at receiver - both Nat. and import - and we don't hear about it.

We have very good battles for roster spots at DB - and we don't hear about it.

We have very good battles for roster spots at LB, O-Line and DL - and we don't hear about it.

But those reports on the number of injured are bang on....and riveting.

And the way they hover around the interviews and piece together stories? Well that extraordinary.

Bravo writers...

Thank goodness we have dedicated MBB fans (gbill etc.) who take their time and share reports with us.

I agree totally. The reporting has focussed on injury updates and player profiles. The injury lists are just a check list. The personal profiles are just straight up interviews.Low hanging fruit.

In the reporters' defense, more in-depth information is hard to come by. All information comes through O'Shea's mouth and the man is a sealed tomb. This coach is a marketer's nightmare.

The reporters probably also lack the analytical skills to provide accurate assessments of of training camp battles. This isn't NFL Network which has access to all sorts of ex-players and ex-coaches to provide these skills. In that respect the newspapers would be better served by bringing in their own outside experts and consultants to assess training camp performances.

That said, I am somewhat bothered by what I've read here about reporters being present and not even watching practice. I haven't been to practices and confirm this, but I hope it isn't true. 

I hope Willy moves around in the pocket a little more this season.

Curious, did you notice him exhibiting this? 

Nothing more than last year, at least from what I've seen in practice. 

But I recall an interview Willy did a while ago, and he said that Marcel wants him moving a little more in the pocket this season, so I hope it actually happens.  Can't have him just standing back there like a sitting duck, although the improved OL will help. 

You think I'm making this stuff up? Go to a practice and you'll see most (not all) of the media there spend a large chunk of practice either not there (showing up late) or socializing and not actually watching practice.

I went to one day of training camp last year and was sitting in front of the media guys for about 45 minutes. They spent basically the entire time bitching about photo radar. Didn't hear one comment related to football and got no inclination they were paying any attention. So I find it pretty easy to believe this year is more of the same.

CFL refs are back here at practice today.

Neufeld, Dile still no helmets.

Practicing special teams and onside kicks right now.

Moore and Kohlert back practicing today.

Addison Richards practicing for second straight day.

Chungh practicing snaps to the QB. Maybe as an emergency centre??

Robert Marve just made fun of Graig Newman for going to the bathroom in the middle of team drills.

First time I've seen Kyle Walters here watching practice. Him and Wade chatting on the sidelines.

Thanks for the updates GB4! You've been doing yeoman's work this TC