Frolik Conundrum

Interesting opinion piece by Peter Tessier:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter-Tessier/The-Frolik-Conundrum-What-Comes-Next/161/69044

A couple of snips for discussion:

it is rumoured that the player wants 5 million for each of 5 years and if the market stays the same it’s likely that he will get it, if not more.

. Even the national media pundits are seeing a Jets team with no Frolik next season. If this is the case who comes in?

Starting with age similar or younger

#1-The first option, at least by simple logic, is Alexander Burmistrov but he is not a right wing but he does possess a two way game and excels in some specialty roles.

#2- Erik Condra- he is believed to be leaving Ottawa and while there might be suitors he may be a cheaper option and he is only a year older. Frolik is the more complete player of the two, by a significant margin, and brings far more offensive upside but if dollars are an issue Condra would not be the worst alternative.

#3- Brad Richardson- he is useful but still a downgrade compared to Frolik. His underlying numbers peg him between a 3rd and 2nd line player and if that where the Jets feel they want to use Frolik why not pay a player the correct salary who fits that role- that would be Richardson.

Above age

#4- Joel Ward at age 34 is much like the Drew Stafford scenario, you like the guy but you’re not sure for how long. For two years at the right salary Ward could take his second line numbers and be a huge upgrade and mentor for the developing third line on the Jets.

#5- Justin Williams- speaking of mentors is there any available player who can bring the playoff experience and ‘intangibles’ of Justin Williams? Intangibles? Remember all those things we can’t quantify that make players seem really great! Williams has them all by some accounts and at age 33 he too would fit the same role as Ward.

#6- Mike Santorelli. While not a true RW he is a right shot and he’s younger than the above two players at 29. Santorelli was a Jet briefly in 2013 but either he had no interest in returning or the Jets had none in him but does that change now?

I agree pretty much Brandon.  I think he's good enough to be a key piece of the puzzle on a contending team but not really a superstar player on his own.  I generally believe you dont retain UFA's, get something for them but this season I thought it was worth keeping Frolik and lose him for nothing with the idea being, in the Jets' position at the deadline, they could potentially have wanted to 'buy' someone of Frolik's level to help in the playoffs, so in reality they just got him for "free".

Id prefer to keep him but at his asking price, if he leaves, so be it. 

Im more curious about Stafford.  I wonder if there is an offer on the table but he wants to see whats out there before committing.

It is going to be a really interesting free agency year this year.  The salary cap isn't going up a whole lot.  A number of the upper echelon teams are already up against the cap.  Haven't seen a list of UFAs for this year yet, so don't know what the marketplace will be like in terms of supply and demand.  Be really curious to see what someone like Frolik gets on the open market.

I love Frolik's game.  Great two way player.  But I don't love him at $5M.  

When building lines you always start with the knowns and move the unknowns around them.  We know Lowry is our 3rd line center.  Rather than who is the best player we can bring in, who is the best winger for Adam Lowry that we can bring in?  From that list above, Joel Ward looks like a really good pairing.  I'd be surprised if those two couldn't develop chemistry immediately, and a line with those two would probably be the most entertaining line the Jets could put out.  I would not bring Ward in for any reason other than to play with Lowry however.

It is going to be a really interesting free agency year this year.  The salary cap isn't going up a whole lot.  A number of the upper echelon teams are already up against the cap.  Haven't seen a list of UFAs for this year yet, so don't know what the marketplace will be like in terms of supply and demand.  Be really curious to see what someone like Frolik gets on the open market.

I love Frolik's game.  Great two way player.  But I don't love him at $5M.  

Just can't do it.  The cap makes it a bad decision.  Let Toronto pay him 5$.

I'd offer Matt Belesky 21m for 5 years and let Fro walk.

He was making a 1.35 cap hit last year and I don't think the Ducks will give him that kind of dough, (22m) but he is worth it.

I doubt Staf stays but would really like to see him sign here for the right cash... maybe 13m for 3 years or 16 for 4 years.

I think Stemp will re-sign but I think Tlusty is gonzo.

Would be scstatic to see the Jets make a deal with Deadmonton for Hall.

Clear some D and get a LW.

I'd offer Matt Belesky 21m for 5 years and let Fro walk.

He was making a 1.35 cap hit last year and I don't think the Ducks will give him that kind of dough, (22m) but he is worth it.

I doubt Staf stays but would really like to see him sign here for the right cash... maybe 13m for 3 years or 16 for 4 years.

I think Stemp will re-sign but I think Tlusty is gonzo.

Would be scstatic to see the Jets make a deal with Deadmonton for Hall.

Clear some D and get a LW.

Mattt Beleskey will be this offseason's Bryan Bickell. He's going to turn one good season into a bad contract for whomever signs him.

They are saying the hawks would trade Sharp for a 1st round pick....he has 2 more years on his deal with a 5.9 cap hit and 5.5 and 5 actual salary.

Anyone think he is worth it? I do but not to the Jets. Maybe Washington will bite?

They are saying the hawks would trade Sharp for a 1st round pick....he has 2 more years on his deal with a 5.9 cap hit and 5.5 and 5 actual salary.

Anyone think he is worth it? I do but not to the Jets. Maybe Washington will bite?

I've always liked him. jets could likely afford him. Question of attitude. Not sure I'd give a first though. If jets lose Stafford and Frolik they will need a winger. Sharp could fit the bill

His cap hit is too high. Rather give the younger guys a chance.

Its a bit high.  His age is more a deterrent to me.  But assume they'd pay Frolik $4-4.5 and will let him walk at $5 and assume they'd resign Stafford at a whatever hit, if they lose both they might be more willing to take on a contract with limited term.  Especially for a local boy.  On the other hand, if they were willing to pay Sharp $5.5 or whatever, one would suggest they might as well just re-sign Frolik at $5.

Maybe a swap of firsts (our low one) and Sharp/Burmi, maybe a 3rd in there.  I dont know.  I dont see it.  If he wasnt a local guy I'd say no for sure but I think the Jets have liked him before and might like him again.  Chicago might see value in a player like Burmi who would give them some depth at a very low cost.

either way I kind of hope he stays. But like I had said about Kane before we sent him to Buffalo, if we lose Frolik, we'd better get someone good in return

He is a UFA, we aren't going to get anything for him.