Frolik Conundrum

He's a UFA, of course he wants that much, if not more even... 

THE UFA crop this year is weak.. Frolik if not re-signed by July 1st or even June 25th, he's gonna cash in on the open market cuz somebody gonna overpay..

In mine and probably the Jets world, they seem him as a future 3rd line winger playing with Lowry.. 5 million for the first few years while the young prospects develop and what have you and then 4.5 in the last 3 is probably fair, I think Frolik is good but he's not worth more than 5 million when on a really good team, he's 3rd line winger and PK guy, Ideally that's what he becomes here too. 

Cant blame Frolik.  Make the money you can while you can.  Cant begrudge him that.  I'd suspect if they were closer there would be wiggle room on both sides.  Doesnt sound like they are close enough and someone will "overpay" Frolik so he is probably gone.

Between Stafford and Frolik, I'd pick Frolik because he's more versatile.  But losing Frolik makes signing Stafford a larger priority because we need that offensive depth.  I just hope we dont give Stafford too much cash or too much term.

Still think Buff is the key because trading him could re-stock the shelves in several key areas.

If Fro is playing 3rd line, that's way too much cash...would love to see him stay but not at that price.

He's a better two-way player than Staf but Staf probably plays more 1st/2nd line minutes than Fro.

I am guessing Fro walks.

I wonder who the Hawks are going to unload?

Sharpy and Roszival for sure....possibly Seabrook....possibly one of their goaltenders, too. Cap goes up 2-mil, but they're still in a world of hurt. Good thing for them, Stan Bowman might be the league's best cap-management GM, in terms of being able to constantly retool his roster without losing the most important pieces.

Will be very curious to see what kind of return they get on these higher priced contracts. The Leddy deal last year was fantastic for the Islanders. The return will likely be less to take on the higher priced contracts.

I don't think Crawford is at all the same goalie on a weaker team and would be shocked if they could trade him.

Sharp has to be on the block for sure. I think they try to find a way to keep Seabrook.

They'll for sure sign Saad but I'm not too sure about Kruger.

They'd trade Bickell in a heartbeat if they had a chance.

You would think Sharp for sure because of his 5.9 cap hit for the next two years.

If they can trade Hossa, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go too.

Seabrook is a different situation. He is a 5.8 cap hit with only one year remaining on his deal. If he doesn't sign an extension, do you trade him? He'd look good in a Jets uni for the next 4-5 years.

Versteeg?

Do they try to bring Oduya back?

Their D needs help.

@frank_seravalli: Michael Frolik is not a slam dunk to hit the market on July 1. Talks ongoing between WPG and his agent. #TSN

If true, it shows the patience of Chevy paying off.  Why a player would want to negotiate now with only a few days before UFA, is a mystery to me.  But if the Jets have somehow convinced him to stay here, good on them.

Bob McKenzie         @TSNBobMcKenzie

Door hasn't been closed on return to WPG but free agent shopping period begins today.

This isnt the end of the world either way.  But Frolik now goes out into the world to find out what he can get.  Money/term will be important.  But his happiness will be too.  If the Jets deal is not far off, maybe he wants to be here.  If the Blackhawks offered him a deal (they wont, just saying), he might take a bit less to go there.  But now he will know and on July 1st he can consider all offers including the Jets

That being said, I dont expect him here.

If we lose both, I'd assume the Jets would be in on a trade.  Maybe comes back around to Sharp when the Hawks give up their ridiculous ask for him.

Burmi would also be a potential replacement for Frolik at less than half the cost.  Heard Joel Ward's name mentioned too.  And Jets were interested in Jussi Jokinen in the past.

If they really need to fill a hole, flipping Ehlers to RW is an option but then you're gambling that he's going to be a very good NHL'er in his rookie year.

It would suck if we lose both of them, but I'd rather lose them then overpay and hurt the team cap / budget wise down the road.

May mean taking a step backwards next season playoff wise, but we have a bunch of young prospects coming up to fill those roles and you would hate to not be able to afford a Trouba / Scheifele / Lowry when their contracts are up because you overpaid now.

Many teams have had a bad hangover regret after over paying in free agency.  You really need to build a contender and able to attract free agents at a reasonable price.

Burmi as a replacement for Frolik is a joke.  Not even close to the same caliber of player.

And yet one wants $5 million and one could probably be had for $1.5-ish.  Burmi is a very good possession player.  I'd be comfortable with him at 3RW if the other option is over-paying Frolik to play 3RW and get paid like a 2RW.