Frolik Conundrum

5m plus for Frolik?

Are you guys serious?

If this is what it is going to take to keep him, let him walk.

I'd rather give that kind of money to someone like Justin Williams or Vermette.

Can Soderberg play wing?

I think Fro and Staf are gone and so is Tlusty and Pardy. I thought Stempniak would have re-signed by now.

I think Chevy will make a move into the top 10 for the draft.

Should've traded him at the deadline.

Strongly disagree.  We don't make the playoffs if we trade him.

Sure we got swept but that is invaluable experience for the younger players like Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry.

There is value in holding on to a player even if he walks.  Can't always be trading for draft picks.

depends on who we got for him doesn't it?

Not really.  

Anyone trading for an expiring contract is doing so for a playoff push.  So you aren't getting a comparable roster player, they want to enhance the talent on their roster.  You are getting picks and prospects or another expiring contract, in which case what is the difference?

Otherwise, why would another team trade for him?

A team that is playoff bound that needs a defensive forward or a player for the PK?

A team that is playoff bound will only give you picks and prospects.  Go look at the majority of the trades on or around deadline day for the last decade.

How often do teams who are in the playoffs hunt trade guys at the deadline? They don't. Jets were in the hunt. Probably had a wild card spot. No way you trade a player just cuz he's a fa. What message would that send to a playoff bound team.

Should've traded him at the deadline.

My 2 rules

1. No Russians

2. Trade UFA's at deadline.

I agree about trading UFA's at deadline but this one made no sense.  The Jets were in the market for rental players.  How can we both suggest the Jets go out and get a rental player to help their playoff push AND trade one of their better forwards?  If Frolik played for another team he's the type of player the Jets would have wanted to trade for.  So in this case you look at keeping Frolik as though its getting a rental without giving up anything in return.

If they were out of the playoffs, then you absolutely make the deal.  If its a piece like Buff, you'd consider it too but probably dont trade him.  Thats why Buff either has to be re-signed OR traded before the season begins.  You can't be in the position to trade him at the deadline if you're in a playoff spot and you cant be forced to keep him and lose him for nothing, not someone that will bring you a strong return.

We traded 2 late picks for Frolik. 2 guys who seemed to have been busts. We basically got him for nothing and now probably lose him for nothing but such is life. Frolik isn't the difference between making the playoffs this year or not.

We traded 2 late picks for Frolik. 2 guys who seemed to have been busts. We basically got him for nothing and now probably lose him for nothing but such is life. Frolik isn't the difference between making the playoffs this year or not.

He could be.

Worry more about him making the team first...

There's no way you can say we don't make the playoffs without Fro because it didn't happen. All you can say is we made it with him.

I took Rich's suggestion and looked up deadline deals and actually a few weeks leading up to the deadline. LOTS of player for player swaps. We have NO IDEA what we could have got in return for Fro.

It could have been a player that did nothing at all and we might have or might not have made the palyoffs...It could have been a player that put us over the top and we outscore the Ducks in third period in those early games. Nobody knows because it didn't happen...that is all I am saying.

There's no way you can say we don't make the playoffs without Fro because it didn't happen. All you can say is we made it with him.

I took Rich's suggestion and looked up deadline deals and actually a few weeks leading up to the deadline. LOTS of player for player swaps. We have NO IDEA what we could have got in return for Fro.

It could have been a player that did nothing at all and we might have or might not have made the palyoffs...It could have been a player that put us over the top and we outscore the Ducks in third period in those early games. Nobody knows because it didn't happen...that is all I am saying.

No.  No one gives up roster players in exchange for rentals.  It's always prospects and draft picks.  In trading Frolik there is literally zero chance that we would have got a better player back.

Ducky, Im sure the Jets have a very good idea what they could have got for Frolik.

And we definitely could not have got a better player than Frolik for Frolik.  Its really a moot point anyway.

I stand by my reasoning:  If the Jets were fighting for a playoff spot and did NOT have Frolik but went out and traded picks and/or prospects for Frolik as a rental, no one would be saying 'how could we let him get away'.  Thats the cost of doing business and the risk with a rental.

We "got" Frolik as a rental to help us make the playoffs and it cost us nothing.

When you looked at the trades and saw player for player did you check to see if that player was actually playing in the NHL or a prospect?   And if so, please list some and give the percentage of them that you feel would be comparable to us trading Frolik for something long term and immediate that would help the Jets.

I took a quick look at last seasons deadline and I'd say at least 80% of the trades where for picks or prospects.  It is probably higher, some names I just don't recognize and didn't bother looking up, but that also means those trades are pretty meaningless and fringe players.

Frolik was a UFA.  What team is going to give a comparable player who has term on their contract?  It just makes no sense. Other teams are in the NHL to win, just like the Jets.   When you are thinking about a trade, look at it from the other teams perspective, if I were them would I do this trade and why?  And if the answer is no, chances are they aren't going to do it.   You don't want Frolik because he is a UFA and are going to lose him, other teams are thinking the same thing.

There is a reason no team deals their free agents at the deadline when they are in the playoffs.  You want to give your team the best chance to win and you want to get in.  

The Jets made the playoffs by 4 points last season.  If only two games go the other way, LA is in the playoffs instead of us.  That margin is so low, I'm pretty confident that if you take one of our top 6 players out of the lineup and replace with with ... nothing ... we don't make the playoffs.

I think for a team wanting a Frolik type player at the deadline with the idea he helps make them a cup contender, for that team to also give up an NHL calibre player, that player would have to either be over-paid, on a really lousy contract or someone otherwise detrimental or not helpful to the team's chances.  And in most of those cases, why would the Jets want said player?

Again, we got Frolik for nothing.  C'est la vie