Frolik Conundrum

Friedman's 30 thoughts

25. Tried to piece together how close Winnipeg came to re-signing Michael Frolik because it’s clear GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was frustrated. Agent Allan Walsh wouldn’t comment, but a couple teams suspected the Jets offered four years at $16 million before free agency began, then talked about the possibility of $4.25M per, although I’m not sure it actually got there. There was at least one offer higher than Calgary's. I wondered if it was New Jersey, because Walsh has a good history with Ray Shero, but that’s purely a guess. He’s an excellent fit for the Flames. Frolik’s departure could be a gift for Alexander Burmistrov, who wants a top-nine role. Yes, he’s normally a centre, but can play wing. This is a relationship that needs some trust built back into it, and stepping into the void would be a good start. The Jets may also give a long look to Joel Armia, acquired in the Evander Kane trade.

***Some speculation i read was Frolik's agent was trying to work Chevy into a bigger offer.  Once Chevy signed Stafford, he limited the agent's leverage.  All things being mostly equal, Frlik chose the city/team he wanted.  This is especially true if he turned down better offers to go to Calgary.

People leaving Wpg to go to Cal? Say it aint so.

Peter Tessier wrote a blog about Frolik today (a little late to the party)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter-Tessier/Did-The-Jets-Really-Want-Michael-Frolik/161/70018

He had this which stuck out to me:

From two people I have spoken to, one connected directly to Frolik, the Jets never came to the table with a significant improvement in annual contract value. It always stayed around 3.5 million per year. Which is so very curious when looking at what Stafford received in his new contract.

Doesnt that fly in the face of what others said, that the Jets offered money in line with what Calgary did (and supposedly Jersey offered more than both)?  If true, I wonder if the Jets offered more term at the lower price.

All moot now.  But if true it shows the Jets set a value and are going to stick to it, regardless.