New CFL Commish

gbill2004

And he is even more tanned than the old commish. Looking forward to hearing him interviewed on one of the sports channels to learn what he sees himself bringing to the league.

Since I think y'all aren't joking…(or at least I hope you aren't)

He's black

"New CFL commissioner Jeffery L, Orridge isn't focusing too much on the fact that he's the first black commissioner in North American pro sports"

At first glance I was kind of thinking...oh great a former CBC screw up...then I read his qualifications. Seems like a pretty sharp guy.

Good luck to you Mr. Orridge

Hardly a screwup. CBC sports was a tremendous revenue generator for the the corporation and the broadcasts were very good quality. I am impressed that he is becoming a Canadian citizen- that may well mean that he plans to be around for awhile. We need the stability and the profile he brings to the league.

Great resume. Just avoid the part about miscalculating the negotiations with the NHL and killing Hockey Night in Canada. :o

Kind of like being an awesome ship captain until you steer the Titanic right into an iceberg. Hopefully he learned from that experience.

So you think the CBC should have outbid SportsNet for NHL broadcasting rights? SportsNet blew TSN out of the water with their bid. And I believe the CBC is mostly funded by taxpayer dollars.

Great resume. Just avoid the part about miscalculating the negotiations with the NHL and killing Hockey Night in Canada. :o

Kind of like being an awesome ship captain until you steer the Titanic right into an iceberg. Hopefully he learned from that experience.

So you think the CBC should have outbid SportsNet for NHL broadcasting rights? SportsNet blew TSN out of the water with their bid. And I believe the CBC is mostly funded by taxpayer dollars.

No.  I believe they had an opportunity to hold onto the deal they had for Saturday games and a share of the playoffs with a reasonable offer.  They took HNIC for granted and were stunned when the league balked at their offer excluding them.  They were not a player for national rights.

No. I believe they had an opportunity to hold onto the deal they had for Saturday games and a share of the playoffs with a reasonable offer. They took HNIC for granted and were stunned when the league balked at their offer excluding them. They were not a player for national rights.

I haven't seen that reported anywhere, that CBC had an opportunity to keep HNIC rights.

Nary a peep about him being american. I dont mind. But does he/did he even watch CFL very much ?

Seems to have a good mix of egg-head and business saavy.

If he can broker Argo / BMO deal his legacy is almost secure from the start.

Nary a peep about him being american. I dont mind. But does he/did he even watch CFL very much ?

Cohon is an American as well.

Thank you assumed he was CDN.

He was born in the States but moved here when he was 2.

And he is even more tanned than the old commish. Looking forward to hearing him interviewed on one of the sports channels to learn what he sees himself bringing to the league.

Since I think y'all aren't joking…(or at least I hope you aren't)

He's black

"New CFL commissioner Jeffery L, Orridge isn't focusing too much on the fact that he's the first black commissioner in North American pro sports"

He needs to be assimilated. Oh, I think he already is. ;)

He was born in the States but moved here when he was 2.

Yep. Cohon's a real American. WE THE PEOPLE.

No. I believe they had an opportunity to hold onto the deal they had for Saturday games and a share of the playoffs with a reasonable offer. They took HNIC for granted and were stunned when the league balked at their offer excluding them. They were not a player for national rights.

I haven't seen that reported anywhere, that CBC had an opportunity to keep HNIC rights.

They did not. My friend is a mid-level management person at CBC and CBC was directed to drop NHL hockey as it conflicted with TSN and Rogers' interests.