New CFL Commish

gbill2004

Nice to see that there was no qualified Canadian that could run the Canadian Football League. Hopefully there won't need to be a National/ International ratio to keep Canadians employed at the league office. Disappointing!

He moved here when he was two... That's pretty freakin close to canadian if your ask me..

Nice to see that there was no qualified Canadian that could run the Canadian Football League. Hopefully there won't need to be a National/ International ratio to keep Canadians employed at the league office. Disappointing!

He moved here when he was two... That's pretty freakin close to canadian if your ask me..
Cohon moved to Canada when he was 2. New guy came to Canada in 2007.

Zontar, this is from TSN:

His first ever press conference as incoming commissioner was impressive. In it he talked about his love for Canadian football, and how it started at a young age when he and his father would watch Warren Moon play in Edmonton. In his opening remarks he was quick to say that he had been a fan of the league for some time.

“I have been a fan of it for decades, and not just because of how exciting the game is, or how amazing these athletes that play the game are, it’s really to me what the CFL represented, and it represented Canada,” Orridge said.

He's a permanent resident who is in the process of becoming a Canadian citizen.

At first glance I was kind of thinking...oh great a former CBC screw up...then I read his qualifications. Seems like a pretty sharp guy.

Good luck to you Mr. Orridge

Hardly a screwup. CBC sports was a tremendous revenue generator for the the corporation and the broadcasts were very good quality. I am impressed that he is becoming a Canadian citizen- that may well mean that he plans to be around for awhile. We need the stability and the profile he brings to the league.

man...I didn't call him a screw up...smh

Great resume. Just avoid the part about miscalculating the negotiations with the NHL and killing Hockey Night in Canada. :o

Kind of like being an awesome ship captain until you steer the Titanic right into an iceberg. Hopefully he learned from that experience.

So you think the CBC should have outbid SportsNet for NHL broadcasting rights? SportsNet blew TSN out of the water with their bid. And I believe the CBC is mostly funded by taxpayer dollars.

No. I believe they had an opportunity to hold onto the deal they had for Saturday games and a share of the playoffs with a reasonable offer. They took HNIC for granted and were stunned when the league balked at their offer excluding them. They were not a player for national rights.

I haven't seen that reported anywhere, that CBC had an opportunity to keep HNIC rights.

They did not. My friend is a mid-level management person at CBC and CBC was directed to drop NHL hockey as it conflicted with TSN and Rogers' interests.

That's an interesting conspiracy theory, but is just that.

At the end it came down to just Bell and Rogers because CBC made a low ball offer for the Saturday/playoff package.  The bidding took place over the course of years.  The NHL was very hesitant to exclude CBC due to how important the HNIC brand has been and were willing to work with them but were really left with little choice because of the terrible offer by comparison.  It was a miscalculation by Lacroix and Orridge, the NHL called their bluff and sold that national package along with the rest of the national rights to Rogers.  Widely reported in the national papers in the weeks following the announcement of the Rogers deal, especially the Globe and Mail and very similar to what happened with the CFL rights in 2007.

Great resume. Just avoid the part about miscalculating the negotiations with the NHL and killing Hockey Night in Canada. :o

Kind of like being an awesome ship captain until you steer the Titanic right into an iceberg. Hopefully he learned from that experience.

So you think the CBC should have outbid SportsNet for NHL broadcasting rights? SportsNet blew TSN out of the water with their bid. And I believe the CBC is mostly funded by taxpayer dollars.

No. I believe they had an opportunity to hold onto the deal they had for Saturday games and a share of the playoffs with a reasonable offer. They took HNIC for granted and were stunned when the league balked at their offer excluding them. They were not a player for national rights.

I haven't seen that reported anywhere, that CBC had an opportunity to keep HNIC rights.

They did not. My friend is a mid-level management person at CBC and CBC was directed to drop NHL hockey as it conflicted with TSN and Rogers' interests.

At the end it came down to just Bell and Rogers because CBC made a low ball offer for the Saturday/playoff package.  The bidding took place over the course of years.  The NHL was very hesitant to exclude CBC due to how important the HNIC brand has been and were willing to work with them but were really left with little choice because of the terrible offer by comparison.  It was a miscalculation by Lacroix and Orridge, the NHL called their bluff and sold that national package along with the rest of the national rights to Rogers.  Widely reported in the national papers in the weeks following the announcement of the Rogers deal, especially the Globe and Mail and very similar to what happened with the CFL rights in 2007.

source?

source?

I'd like to know that source too. From what I've read, the problem was the NHL wanted to scale back the package the CBC had and the CBC didn't want to do that.

Is that a tan? In thought he was black. If thats a tan can I suggest his nickname right now be Jeffrey Orange.

He is black - the first black person to be named the head of a professional sports league in North America.

Black is a racist word.. where are the moral mods?

Is that a tan? In thought he was black. If thats a tan can I suggest his nickname right now be Jeffrey Orange.

He is black - the first black person to be named the head of a professional sports league in North America.

Someone should tell the new Commissioner that:

"I don't think myself as a black sports executive, I don't consider myself the black commissioner.  I consider myself the 13th commissioner of the CFL with an obligation and responsibility to carry on and build on my 12 predecessors and all their work."

I really hope you're joking.