Bombers 2015 ratio

gbill2004

I'm skeptical about starting JFG anfd Kohlert on offence... unless one of them has really stepped up, they are both 'good' but not great receivers

Would really like to see Lee in here - rotating him and Thomas through the line could use up one spot

But with this current lineup, I think Bombers have to look at WIL, Safety and CB

Lee is pretty much the equivalent to Louie Richardson. I really don't see a need. I wonder if Ameet Pall will be invited to camp??

You don't see Leggett staying at safety?

I think Leggett is a great Safety but I also think he would be a great SAM or HB

Unless JFG and Kohlert stay healthy and are legit receivers all season, we will have to start three Cdns on D at some point. WIL and S are the least damaging positions.

Lee is an upgrade over Richardson imo

If we had to start 3 on D, I'd much prefer it being Bucknor, LB and DL. I don't like the idea of starting any of our Canadians at safety.

The non-import landscape in the CFL is changing. Not every team has 7 stud Canadian starters.

The Bombers don't even have 1 guy I'd consider a stud Canadian starter and that is a problem. Yeah there's lots of bodies that you hope can start, but the quality really isn't there.

We've got three legit starters -- Kohlert, Greaves, maybe Bucknor. Kohlert's the best of the three, if I had to draft a Canadian off the Bombers for my expansion team he'd definitely be the one I'd take. I love the guy, but if he's the ceiling for Canadian talent on the Bombers there is still much work to be done.

Every one of our other prospective starters is a huge question mark. Is Picard past his best-before date? Is Neufeld going to be durable enough? Is Goosen ready? Can the firm of Hurl, Newman, and Sherman hold down an LB spot? Do we have even a single legit DL starter?

Yeah I love me some Kohlert but the fact that he is our best Canadian player is a problem. He's a good solid player to be sure but he's not a guy that is dynamic enough to be your best Canadian. 

I wonder if Goossen can be that impact Canadian starter for the team this season? Or is it too soon to expect that?

Worth noting that Labatte was pretty impactful in his second season.

I don't see Goossen starting this year at centre, especially with Picard already being named our starting centre. But he'll be given an opportunity to win one of the guard spots, competing with Greaves and Neufeld. Personally, I see Goossen as the 6th OL this season.

I'm skeptical about starting JFG anfd Kohlert on offence... unless one of them has really stepped up, they are both 'good' but not great receivers

Would really like to see Lee in here - rotating him and Thomas through the line could use up one spot

But with this current lineup, I think Bombers have to look at WIL, Safety and CB

Lee is pretty much the equivalent to Louie Richardson. I really don't see a need. I wonder if Ameet Pall will be invited to camp??

You don't see Leggett staying at safety?

I think Leggett is a great Safety but I also think he would be a great SAM or HB

Unless JFG and Kohlert stay healthy and are legit receivers all season, we will have to start three Cdns on D at some point. WIL and S are the least damaging positions.

Lee is an upgrade over Richardson imo

If we had to start 3 on D, I'd much prefer it being Bucknor, LB and DL. I don't like the idea of starting any of our Canadians at safety.

Why not?  Unless you're in an Etch D, Safety is a good position for Cdns...  I'd look at moving Bucknor to S and possibly starting Jones at CB - there's a few options.  We have way more depth at Cdn DB than DL

Why mess with the secondary which was the best part of our D last year. Bucknor at DB with Jones backing him up is better than putting Bucknor or Sherman at safety. For the 2nd spot on D, use Hurl and Briggs at LB with Thomas getting 15-20 reps on the DL.

This is probably what will happen to start the season but we're razor thin at NI receiver...  maybe Demski or Durant are targets at 2nd overall.

I hope that we don't put all of our eggs in one basket with Hurl at MLB. I see that as a critical position, and as much as I would love to see a Canuck MLB of the O'Shea grade emerge here, I would rather have a dominating import than a mediocre non-import.

You're right about O'Shea being the ideal Mike.

Wouldn't be great if Hurl could be the ideal Sam?

No offence intended but is this maybe not a bit of a pointless thread until after the draft considering how deep it is and our three picks in the first two rounds?

Not sure that the draft will clear much up...  if we pick a receiver at #2, then we're probably going with two NI REC

If not, the draft is deep with OL, none of which will be starting at tackle this year.  And really only one CFL ready DL who is getting looks from the NFL... maybe Tennant can rotate with Thomas but that's a big maybe.

3 OL, Kohlert and Bucknor are pretty much set...  other two positions will be question marks

No offence intended but is this maybe not a bit of a pointless thread until after the draft considering how deep it is and our three picks in the first two rounds?

I think you have to ask yourself how many of the top 5 picks say, can actually start & make an impact at whatever position they play. I'd say the chances are they'll be depth working their way towards eventually starting for their teams down the road in seasons to come. We are in a position where we need starters as well as depth. Then there's the NFL as I bet most top picks will go that route first. It's difficult now to stockpile Canadians unlike a few years ago when only a select few had a chance to realistically go south. 

Can't see any draft picks stepping in this season and starting right away and making a difference.

Could easily see a top ranked receiver or defensive lineman stepping in and playing right away.

Here's my take...

Starting 6:

OL - Greaves, Picard and Neufeld/Goossen

REC - F.Gudino and Kohlert (backed up by Goodrich and Bastien or Demski if draft him)

CB - Bucknor (backed up by Jones)

7th starting NI would be by committee:

- Hurl rotating with IMP MLB (Benton or another newcomer)

- Newman rotating with IMP WIL (Unamba or newcomer)

- Sherman rotating with either IMP SAM (Wright or another newcomer) ... or with Leggett. Jones can play SAM too so he can rotate there as well.

- Thomas rotating with Anderson or Turner.

- Goodrich (or Demski if we draft him) rotating with Adams or a newcomer

Lot's of option.

Can't see any draft picks stepping in this season and starting right away and making a difference.
Could easily see a top ranked receiver or defensive lineman stepping in and playing right away.
Possibly getting some playing time, but not starting or making a real impact.

What has the draft have to do with it? If we are very lucky, one of our top 3 draft picks will start in the second half of this season; the rest will work their way into starting positions gradually in 2016 & 2017

I hope that we don't put all of our eggs in one basket with Hurl at MLB. I see that as a critical position, and as much as I would love to see a Canuck MLB of the O'Shea grade emerge here, I would rather have a dominating import than a mediocre non-import.

You're right about O'Shea being the ideal Mike.

Wouldn't be great if Hurl could be the ideal Sam?

Wow I like this.

i can see demski playing right away. Coombs did last year and did not look out of place

Hurl has ideal size and quickness for a MLB.... We've also assembled quite the defensive coaching staff.... I'm cautiously optimistic about Hurl doing decent his first year and growing from there. I'd rather Muamba get cut and come back though!

Hurl's speed may make him better suited to be an outside linebacker, and if Muamba returns, we're all set for years.

Hurl has ideal size and quickness for a MLB.... We've also assembled quite the defensive coaching staff.... I'm cautiously optimistic about Hurl doing decent his first year and growing from there. I'd rather Muamba get cut and come back though!

Hurl's speed may make him better suited to be an outside linebacker, and if Muamba returns, we're all set for years.

Sorry to burst you bubble. No guarantee that we will get Henoc on the fold when he returns to the CFL (If ever that happens). We dont hold his rights anymore, he will be a free agent.