Bombers 2015 ratio

gbill2004

Kyle Walters has set up the Bombers to have some nice non-import (National) depth in 2015, to the point where we'll be in a position to possibly start 8 Canadians, where the requirement is only 7. At the least coach Oshea will be in a position to have some solid options. Here's how I see the options breaking down:

On offense, Bombers will likely start 5 Canadians:

WR (2) - Kohlert, Feoli-Gudino, Bastien, Carter, Goodrich
OL (3) - Greaves, Picard, Neufeld, Goossen, Everett

My take is that after Kohlert and JFG, the depth at WR is a little thin, but as long as one of Bastien, Carter or Goodrich can step in and be an adequate replacement in case of injury, we'll be fine. Each of these three guys has nice upside, and could be legitimate starters, but it'll likely take a year or two for them to develop. I'm making the assumption here that Morley will retire. The depth at OL is solid, and with the likely addition of another Canadian OL from this years draft, we're in a good situation here.

On defense is where it gets interesting. I like what Walters has done in giving the coaching staff 3 solid options as defensive starters, although we will likely only start 2 here:

DB (1) - Bucknor, Jones
LB (1) - Hurl, Newman, Briggs, Sherman (heard Sherman might transition to safety this year)
DL (1) - Thomas, Brown, Richardson

The extra Canadian depth on defense gives the coaching staff options, and additional flexibility in case there's an injury at Canadian WR. It's quite impressive what Walters has done with increasing the quality and depth of our Canadians over such a short period of time.

In addition, if you add up all the names listed above, that's 19 Canadians and there's a requirement to have 20 on a game day roster. I didn't even list guys like Pondbriant, Liram, Cronk and Fitzgerald. Some really nice National depth.  No longer a need to have guys like Stephan or West on the roster.

Still the same problem we had last year, IMO. No legit 7th Canadian starter. If Hurl can't be an every down starter then we are in trouble.

Did you even read my post? I'd argue we have 8 legit Canadian starting options.

Lol yes I read it but I didn't need to read it because I have my own opinion on our Canadian situation thanks. And we don't have 8 legit starting Canadian options, we have 6. Hurl or Newman MIGHT be capable of starting but they haven't shown that yet. Thomas and Brown are rotational players at best. Having enough Canadians to start is again coming down to hope, because its definitely not a sure thing. God forbid Matt Bucknor or Rory Kohlert get injured because we will be in some trouble.

Our Canadian depth has not improved by as much as you seem to think. It's still in rough shape.

Options yes, but also questions.

Except for Hurl and Picard and a trio of developmental receivers we stand pat.

Are we stronger at NI receiver with the loss of Watson?

Is Picard, at this stage in his career, a major upgrade over Morley at C?

There is an interesting option on D-line if we eventually get someone like Christo Bilukidi but as it stands, Thomas Brown Richardson aren't scaring anyone.

A Canadian at safety could add to the options - be nice to have a smash mouth Paul Bennett type guy back there.

Definitely agree that outside of Bucknor, our Canadians leave a lot to be desired... it's very possible hurl can come in here and really impress... but he's definitely more of a question mark... Thomas leaves A LOT to be desired when talking about him as a Canadian starter

Newman may have decent potential as a safety, but we have Leggett there... I have no idea how Newman will do as a WLB.

At least this year we will be able to start 3 Canadians on the OL consistently. .. but I'm still very concerned about the Canadians on the interior.

Greaves had a bad year last year.. Picard is over rated and Newman hasn't shown he is anything more than an avg OG at best

The non-import landscape in the CFL is changing. Not every team has 7 stud Canadian starters. The Riders lost Heenan, Picard, Butler, Newman, Hurl and others over the last couple years. The Riders will likely be relying on Watson as their 7th non import this year and after that they don't have much. The Riders are so desperate they signed one of our castoffs, Gord Hinse, as their likely 6th OL this year. Same with the Stamps who lost Sinopoli, Jones and MacDougall just this offseason and they signed Swiston as a project, another Bomber castoff. Also heard a rumor that Edmonton will be signing Tyson Pencer. In addition, more Canadians are getting scooped up by the NFL. Things are starting to even out in terms of non-imports around the league and the Bombers aren't that far off anymore.

Thanks for putting together that OP.

It shows we've made progress over past years, but I have to agree with others, we've improved but more so along the lines of a 2b or 2c caliber being upgraded to a 2a or 2b caliber player. 

I see us trying to stay away from the Brock Ralphs of NI content and I think we've swapped those out of the lineup.

You do make a good point about the lack of overall NI players - because of expansion and the increased interest of the NFL.

Swiston 1st goes to Montreal I believe..now Calgary. Hinse is let go and Sask. picks him up......interesting.

I don't think we absolutely need a stud NI starter...I'd be happy with solid performances from all the starting NIs who would complement our 'stars'.

The players we've picked up appear to be upgrades to the middle portion of our lineup.

I'm hoping that Hurl, who has looked good in instances last year, will mature into a solid starter for us.

BTW, it looks like we've released Carter again, as he's de-listed from the Bomber roster.

Still the same problem we had last year, IMO. No legit 7th Canadian starter. If Hurl can't be an every down starter then we are in trouble.

I don't like that linebacking crew as all. None can be considered starters. Role players for sure. Where the  heck is Curran? I think that linebacker is the biggest weakness on the team. We have to bite the bullet & sign him. 

I don't like that linebacking crew as all. None can be considered starters. Role players for sure. Where the heck is Curran? I think that linebacker is the biggest weakness on the team. We have to bite the bullet & sign him.
Just to clarify, the linebackers I listed there are for one possible roster spot. Not all potential starters.

And I agree Curran would sure be nice, but it appears his agent is playing some games and in turn, every team that was speculatively interested, is no longer interested, or never was.

I don't like that linebacking crew as all. None can be considered starters. Role players for sure. Where the heck is Curran? I think that linebacker is the biggest weakness on the team. We have to bite the bullet & sign him.
Just to clarify, the linebackers I listed there are for one possible roster spot. Not all potential starters.

What we have so far is the weakest linebacking group in the CFL. I just can't see how we can leave that unaddressed going into the season.

What we have so far is the weakest linebacking group in the CFL. I just can't see how we can leave that unaddressed going into the season.
And Walters agrees with you. Just a few days ago on 1290 he said that was the area of biggest concern. I'm confident he'll figure it out.

I'm skeptical about starting JFG anfd Kohlert on offence... unless one of them has really stepped up, they are both 'good' but not great receivers

Would really like to see Lee in here - rotating him and Thomas through the line could use up one spot

But with this current lineup, I think Bombers have to look at WIL, Safety and CB

I'm skeptical about starting JFG anfd Kohlert on offence... unless one of them has really stepped up, they are both 'good' but not great receivers

Would really like to see Lee in here - rotating him and Thomas through the line could use up one spot

But with this current lineup, I think Bombers have to look at WIL, Safety and CB

Lee is pretty much the equivalent to Louie Richardson. I really don't see a need.  I wonder if Ameet Pall will be invited to camp??

You don't see Leggett staying at safety? 

Leggett is definitely going to be the safety this season. I don't think there's really any doubt about that. The best part of the bombers D last year was their secondary, I include the safety in that group. Why mess with a good thing? Randle,Washington,Johnson,Bucknor,Leggett as far as i'm concerned are pretty much written in INK right now. I could see a guy coming in and taking Johnsons spot but the rest are pretty much going to be starting. 

LB's are a concern for sure but... Unamba looked good in his limited playing time last year, that Benton guy looks like a legit prospect for the MLB position, Sears could still sign, they have signed a few guys who look like they could be some pretty good players, Wright i believe his name is, looks like a protypical CFL LB'r. Hurl and Newman i think will surprise some people too. 

DL looks ok, Can't really compare what they were last year in a non traditional CFL D to what they will be this year. Anderson and Turner are a solid solid interior there. Noticed that when Zach went down, the play of the entire group did too. Looks like we still have a few prospect DE there too, with a new scheme, more traditional scheme, these guys could be very good.

Once again lol, LB's are an issue but it's an issue they are well aware off. 

As for Ameet Pall, He is still listed on the roster. Who knows tho, there are a few guys on the roster i could see being released closer to the start of the season. 

And Walters agrees with you. Just a few days ago on 1290 he said that was the area of biggest concern. I'm confident he'll figure it out.

Curran would really help figure it out. ;) Man, what I wouldn't give to have Greg Battle, James West & Ty Jones in their primes show up to play. :( Bottom line is that teams don't win in this league without a great Mac linebacker.

The non-import landscape in the CFL is changing. Not every team has 7 stud Canadian starters.

The Bombers don't even have 1 guy I'd consider a stud Canadian starter and that is a problem. Yeah there's lots of bodies that you hope can start, but the quality really isn't there.

We've got three legit starters -- Kohlert, Greaves, maybe Bucknor. Kohlert's the best of the three, if I had to draft a Canadian off the Bombers for my expansion team he'd definitely be the one I'd take. I love the guy, but if he's the ceiling for Canadian talent on the Bombers there is still much work to be done.

Every one of our other prospective starters is a huge question mark. Is Picard past his best-before date? Is Neufeld going to be durable enough? Is Goosen ready? Can the firm of Hurl, Newman, and Sherman hold down an LB spot? Do we have even a single legit DL starter?

The non-import landscape in the CFL is changing. Not every team has 7 stud Canadian starters.

The Bombers don't even have 1 guy I'd consider a stud Canadian starter and that is a problem. Yeah there's lots of bodies that you hope can start, but the quality really isn't there.
We've got three legit and proven starters -- Kohlert, Greaves, maybe Bucknor. Kohlert's the best of the three, if I had to draft a Canadian off the Bombers for me expansion team he'd definitely be the one I'd take. I love the guy, but if he's the ceiling for Canadian talent on the Bombers there is still much work to be done.

Every one of our other prospective starters is a huge question mark. Is Picard past his best-before date? Is Neufeld going to be durable enough? Is Goosen ready? Can the firm of Hurl, Newman, and Sherman hold down an LB spot? Do we have even a single legit DL starter?

Makes you realize just how bad this team was only 2 years ago & how long it'll take to fix the mess we had. Things are getting better though.

BTW, it looks like we've released Carter again, as he's de-listed from the Bomber roster.

Likely directly related to the Goodrich signing. I'd suspect Carter will still be in camp and likely get a PR spot.

I think his name was taken off on FA. He was a freeagent. He was not resigned officially though there are twitter/rumors that he was signed back.

Lee is pretty much the equivalent to Louie Richardson. I really don't see a need.  I wonder if Ameet Pall will be invited to camp??

You don't see Leggett staying at safety? 

I think Leggett is a great Safety but I also think he would be a great SAM or HB

Unless JFG and Kohlert stay healthy and are legit receivers all season, we will have to start three Cdns on D at some point.  WIL and S are the least damaging positions.

Lee is an upgrade over Richardson imo