Bob Irving: Max Hall To Start

the whole "weak arm" thing is patently absurd, and gets debated in these spaces all the time by people who clearly don't know what they're talking about. Scouts are never going to bring a guy to a TC (never mind the coaches actually putting them on the team...) if his arm is too weak to play pro football. Hell, if you made it through a NCAA program, then you've got enough of an arm.

Seems like the right pick of the three to me, but honestly I don't think Hall is going to make a very good CFL quarterback at all. I don't think we have anyone at the moment who is. My guess is that he plays another game or two before the turnovers become unbearable.  

Here's hoping he proves me dead wrong!. 

Seems like the right pick of the three to me, but honestly I don't think Hall is going to make a very good CFL quarterback at all. I don't think we have anyone at the moment who is. My guess is that he plays another game or two before the turnovers become unbearable.  

Here's hoping he proves me dead wrong!. 

Well, here's hoping you're dead wrong also.

But that's the bloody point isn't it? We need to know and the only way we're going to find out is by their playing.

We were in this exact position last year and we frittered away any opportunity to play Brink and Elliott correctly because we stuck with Buck. 

We now have until year's end to at least make one correct call.

(we already know future cut)

If there's any questions of turnovers (player wise) I'd like us to know ASAP because it seems this regime is not going to stand pat or buck or whomever.

By that logic, when Glenn was playing poorly and run out of town, he should have retired and never been seen or heard from again.  Good thing for him that didnt happen.

Not sure why you're trying to prove your clearly flawed opinion by comparing Buck to KG. Glenn averaged 22 TD's and 3900 yds per year from '05-'08.  Buck has thrown 25 TDs and about 6000 yds in his entire Bomber career!!!

Yeah, we were probably dumb dumping Glenn when we did, but suggesting we're about to make the same mistake with Buck is laughable.

Dumping Glenn is what happens when management listens to its fan base vs doing what is best for the team.

You don't replace your starting QB until someone plays at the same level or above consistently enough to make the switch.

That was Mike Kelly, wasn't it?

the whole "weak arm" thing is patently absurd, and gets debated in these spaces all the time by people who clearly don't know what they're talking about. Scouts are never going to bring a guy to a TC (never mind the coaches actually putting them on the team...) if his arm is too weak to play pro football. Hell, if you made it through a NCAA program, then you've got enough of an arm.

Dinwiddie??  

And clearly the obvious other point would be the massive CFL field....  

I'm concerned about Hall because several of his deep balls were severely underthrown.....   guys like Burris/Durant/Calvillo/Reilly when they attack deep that ball gets to the receiver in a hurry... usually when it's missed it is because they tossed it to hard.... while with Hall (and Pierce)  it always seems like the receiver is 5 yards ahead of the ball as it skips on the dirt.    

Watch that last Edmonton game... Reilly was doing EXACTLY what Khari used to do by lobbing a missile and giving the receiver a chance to make the play.   With Hall/Pierce the receiver literally has to stop and run back 5 yards and hope that the defender doesn't beat him to the ball.  

Watch that last Edmonton game... Reilly was doing EXACTLY what Khari used to do by lobbing a missile and giving the receiver a chance to make the play.   With Hall/Pierce the receiver literally has to stop and run back 5 yards and hope that the defender doesn't beat him to the ball.  

people complained non stop about Kharis arm strength too so what comparison are you trying to make? I don't buy that receivers have to wait for passes because the qbs don't have the arm to get it down field, I would suggest that it's simply a missed throw. Ray doesn't have a really strong arm either but he's so accurate he can drop a ball with tremendous accuracy anywhere on the field. I actually think that Hall gets the idea of giving receivers a chance to make a play on a ball, just needs some more experience with these guys. 

people complained non stop about Kharis arm strength too so what comparison are you trying to make? I don't buy that receivers have to wait for passes because the qbs don't have the arm to get it down field, I would suggest that it's simply a missed throw. Ray doesn't have a really strong arm either but he's so accurate he can drop a ball with tremendous accuracy anywhere on the field. I actually think that Hall gets the idea of giving receivers a chance to make a play on a ball, just needs some more experience with these guys. 

Ricky has under rated arm strength,  those deep balls to the corner of the end zone are beautiful and not easy to make.     

Khari had a good arm before being completely crippled....  afterwards it was a sad sad sight.  

Every CFL QB has a major deficiency, otherwise they wouldn't be here.  That's just life.  Most of Hall's flutter balls came when he was dancing in the pocket, if he settles down his feet those balls will be tighter.

That said, he's a pure pocket guy with an average arm and a nothing special release.  Tough to be a great QB in the CFL or even NFL now without being more mobile (or having a lightning release to run a West Coast) as coaches are designing plays with 3+ options including the QB taking the ball.  I hope they really think Hall can win games, because if we are developing someone it should be Goltz.

By that logic, when Glenn was playing poorly and run out of town, he should have retired and never been seen or heard from again.  Good thing for him that didnt happen.

You keep comparing fans disliking Buck to fans running Glenn out of town. But there are so many differences.

The year before Glenn was "run out of town" (which, really, he wasn't -- some fans were disappointed, but I guarantee Berry would've stuck with Glenn) he was an East MOP and put up some very strong numbers in guiding us to a Grey Cup appearance (and sadly missing that game).

Buck "brought" us to the Grey Cup TWO years ago (not one), but his numbers were considerably worse and we rode our Swaggerville D to the big game in 2011. He also missed most of the 2010 and 2012 seasons with injuries, and several games in 2011.

Here's Glenn's stat line the year he was "run out of town":

GLENN, K 2008 WPG 293 454 64.5 3,637 92 20 4.4 20 4.4 85.6

Not the best TD to INT ratio, for sure, but okay yards considering he missed some time with an injury, and an average QB rating.

Now here's Buck Pierce's stat line this season:

PIERCE, B 2013 WPG 66 108 61.1 854 65 2 1.9 5 4.63 72.8

2 TD to 5 INT, an awful QB rating, and not impressive yardage.

Just for fun, let's look at the stats in each of their Grey Cup years (keeping in mind that we have endured an extra year of Pierce mostly being injured in between).

GLENN, K 2007 WPG 388 621 62.5 5,117 67 25 4.0 13 2.1 93.2

PIERCE, B 2011 WPG 261 411 63.5 3,348 92 14 3.4 18 4.4 82.0

That TD to INT ratio is super telling, not to mention the 5000 yard season from Glenn.

Fact is, as others have said, it's not remotely an apt comparison.

(Not to mention comparing an unknown in Stefan LeFors -- who hadn't played a game for this team and had only played a handful of quarters prior, to guys like Goltz and Hall -- who have at least shown with this team that they're no worse than Pierce, is a bit off.)

Every CFL QB has a major deficiency, otherwise they wouldn't be here.  That's just life.  Most of Hall's flutter balls came when he was dancing in the pocket, if he settles down his feet those balls will be tighter.

That said, he's a pure pocket guy with an average arm and a nothing special release.  Tough to be a great QB in the CFL or even NFL now without being more mobile (or having a lightning release to run a West Coast) as coaches are designing plays with 3+ options including the QB taking the ball.  I hope they really think Hall can win games, because if we are developing someone it should be Goltz.

What we really need is the athleticism and arm of Goltz, and the accuracy, intelligence and savy of Hall. Maybe we could get the "mad genius" Crowton back, and he could transmutate Hall and Goltz in his laboratory. Maxtin Haltz anyone?

Are you saying that Michael Bishop was a good QB? 

In my opinion, if we had stuck with Michael Bishop in 2010 instead of signing Buck Pierce, this team would be in a better situation right now.

I actually don't disagree with this...

You should, because it's ridiculous...

Are you saying that Michael Bishop was a good QB? 

In my opinion, if we had stuck with Michael Bishop in 2010 instead of signing Buck Pierce, this team would be in a better situation right now.

I actually don't disagree with this...

You should, because it's ridiculous...

IMO

Bishop was a back-up for a long time, during that period everyone said he was dumb as a brick but had an awesome arm.

HOWEVER - I only really see him as having one year where he was in a good situation - 2007 (been with the team awhile, in a scheme that suited his skills, etc) - He was something like 3000 yards 22 td-11 ints having only played 12 games (he got injured on a freak play)

2002-2005 - He was getting used to the Canadian game... 2006 he looked like he might have potential

2008 was a **** show in SSK - he came in to a completely new system halfway through the year (and performed at least somewhat well...)

2009 - Who didn't look like a total ******* idiot in Kelly's system?  He did, however, win us some games (I still remember the play where he called the long TD pass to Edwards to the opposing D before the snap and completed it anyways... hilarious)

My big problem with Bishop was that he seemed to be really hot/cold and obviously is not a possession style QB (his accuracy does not do Dink/Dunk style schemes) - Build a big play offense around him that uses his arm strength and ability to run... I think he could have been a real decent QB for the Bombers

Bishop is a moron and one of the most overrated QBs to ever play our game. The only season where he "was in a good situation" is the season where the defense carried him the entire way. He just barely did enough to not completely **** up and cost them everything. Good lord, I don't care how little you think of Buck Pierce, you've gotta think this was a far better situation...